LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-07-13, 9:43am
Dangerous Woman

Default Lynx question

Hi all I am moving from a HH to a Lynx. I can't wait! Here's the deal. We use propane to heat our house and water, to cook with and for both fireplaces - so we have a huge honking tank out back. I called the gas company yesterday aout sending a guy out to run a hard line into the garage where my workshop is. Do I need to tell him what pressure I need the propane to come into the garage at? What pressure do I need the propane to come into the garage at? Once inside the garage I will need another regulator, right? And a flashback arestor (sp)? I have one O2 concentrator for now and will probably upgrade to a second after I get past the learning curve. With a HH I didn't have to worry about any of this stuff - just loosing patience! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Any other general tips on using the Lynx would be welcome too.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-07-13, 10:09am
PyronamixK

The Lynx will run on as low as 2 psi for the fuel. If you can get around 5 psi, that would be good.

I'm glad to see that you are already planning to get a second concentrator. The Lynx on one 5 LPM concentrator is definitely better than a HH, but it is not a recommended set-up.

I upgraded from a HH to a Lynx. At the time, I was only working a day here and there, mostly on the weekends, not very much time actually at the torch. Anyway, it took me about two weeks to get used to it. It takes some people less time to get calibrated. Loren Stump tells students to expect about a week for the learning curve. For me, the biggest thing to get used to was simply running an oxygen/propane torch.

I started off using tanks, but now use a 10 LPM, 9 psi concentrator and am very happy.
Old 2006-07-13, 11:09am
Dangerous Woman

It's funny, I learned on a minor but all I could aford was HH. The Lynx has 2 O2 knobs. Do you start out using one then both or use both from the get go?

Old 2006-07-13, 11:26am
In search of her path....

whene my Bf parents talked to their gas guy about running a line to their garage for welding purposed the gas company told them it would be cheaper for them to just have the gas guy fill up their propane tanks while he was tehre for the same price they get on the big tank. and skip the hard lines all together. But maybe thats not an option for yea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 2006-07-13, 11:32am

Use Both from the get go! If you don't use the center fire oxy. it will clog. So at all times at least crack it open. If it clogs, just keep it open. Sooner or later it will burn out the clog.

As far as pressure go's, a good rule of thumb. Gas half the pressure of the Oxy.

Your going to love your Lynx
Scott

ESTY
Old 2006-07-14, 7:36am

Quote:
the gas company told them it would be cheaper for them to just have the gas guy fill up their propane tanks while he was tehre for the same price they get on the big tank. and skip the hard lines all together
I'll have to try that next time the fuel guy is up filling the tanks on the property the shop is on. There are 4 bulk propane tanks. (its on a farm and all the difrent buildings have a propane tank.)
The guy that delivers the propane has a thing for my friend Jody that lives there. I bet if I had her go out and ask the guy he might not even read the meter for the few extra gallons to fill the tanks in the shop. Sometimes when the oil tank gets toped off with 275 gallons of oil it gets billed as 75 gallons.
So if I can get the same kind of deal on propane would rock. hell just getting it at bulk price would rock. Even if no shnanigins or hot friend involved.
Old 2006-07-26, 7:13am
Dangerous Woman

Gas guy is coming next Friday! Guess what I'm gonna be doing Fri and Sat? Any last minute set up things I should know? I'm thinking gas line goes into the regulator, then flashback arrestor, then hose to torch. Right? Hose on concentrator to torch. And I'm good to go. Am I missing anything?

Old 2006-07-27, 11:47am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104
It's funny, I learned on a minor but all I could aford was HH. The Lynx has 2 O2 knobs. Do you start out using one then both or use both from the get go?
It is always good to keep the blue knob at least cracked open a tiny bit.

If you want to start off with a smaller flame, then you can use the red and blue valve without the green.

I went from a HH to a Lynx and one of the things I did was just sit in front of it (no glass, just the torch) and play with the valves to see what kind of flames I could get out of it.