Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-11-30, 5:56pm
a minor contributor

Default Loosing Propylene Supplier..Need Advice

I hope I am in the right forum to ask this. I have been using propylene in a 20 lb. tank with my hot head. I am now told that this supplier, (the only one in the city) has depleted it's stock and will not be replenishing it. They are telling me that Flamex will work as a substitute, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just have my tanks purged and start using propane. I remember reading that propane isn't as hot and can cause sooty beads, so I'd like to hear from some hothead users that use propane. Also see some examples of beads done using the propane & HH. Thanks a bunch..I always get great answers from you guys, and appreciate you very much.

Pam In OKC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-30, 6:20pm
PyronamixK

The HotHead works just fine with propane. Go to the gallery and look up work from *Naos*. She makes gorgeous beads using a HotHead with propane.

ETA: You may have to replace your tank all together if you switch to propane. Ask your supplier.
Old 2006-11-30, 6:22pm
More ideas than talent

So does NLC Beads (Nikki the sheep goddess). You CAN encase cleanly on a hothead with propane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-03, 8:19am
Fight glass with FIRE

We teach classes on a setup of 7 hotheads on a distributor with propane and I think it is way better then using MAPP or Propylene. Cost less and is easier to come by. It also depends where you get the propane since the propane from the local hardware or gas station is sometimes a little dirtier the the welding shop propane (from what I was told) and the cost isn't the same at all.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2006-12-04, 5:34pm

My beads themselves are wonky, but I haven't had any problem with soot or dirt, etc from the propane (it's a PPP issue, lol...) I'm using a BBQ tank I bought new & had filled with propane @ the filling station--I think having my own *new* tank (so I knew there wasn't any gunk in there!) helps...other than that, someday maybe my beads will be round(er)...

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-12-06, 9:33pm
one day at a time

Y'all are so lucky...we have nasty propane in our area! Some of the most mucked up beads I have ever made!

I can't get propylene bulk anymore because of an explosion over a year ago, and they recalled all the 30lb tanks. To this day they still haven't fixed the problem yet. So I have to forget about ever using my HH again. I'm too cheap to buy the 1lb tanks.
Old 2006-12-07, 8:58am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefaniBeads View Post
Y'all are so lucky...we have nasty propane in our area! Some of the most mucked up beads I have ever made!

I can't get propylene bulk anymore because of an explosion over a year ago, and they recalled all the 30lb tanks. To this day they still haven't fixed the problem yet. So I have to forget about ever using my HH again. I'm too cheap to buy the 1lb tanks.
Your gas supplier is feeding you "a line" about bad valves and explosion... He does not want to deal in propylene and won't tell you that....

http://www.concoa.com/index.php?page...ref=10&cga=510

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-12-07 at 9:02am.
Old 2006-12-11, 12:58pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Your gas supplier is feeding you "a line" about bad valves and explosion... He does not want to deal in propylene and won't tell you that....

http://www.concoa.com/index.php?page...ref=10&cga=510

Dale
The office further north of me wanted to set me up with a 100lb tank, and I said no way. 60lb okay, and where the heck are the 30's ?? I haven't called them in about 6 weeks, so I'll try back again and see what they say this time. They already have figured out that I'm not "dumb", hehe, and I'm very persistent!
Old 2006-12-22, 7:30pm
a minor contributor

Thanks everyone for your input. After all the worries about propylene, I saw the great Christmas special OxygenPlus was having on their concentrators and ordered one. Now I have a whole new set of questions about what torches run best on one concentrator. Are my only choices a minor or a mini CC? I will probably start a new thread after reading some of the threads regarding torches. Thanks again..you guys rock.

Pam in OKC

Old 2006-12-22, 7:32pm
I've got goodies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokieokie View Post
...Now I have a whole new set of questions about what torches run best on one concentrator. Are my only choices a minor or a mini CC? I will probably start a new thread after reading some of the threads regarding torches. Thanks again..you guys rock.

Pam in OKC
Nope. The Lynx, Pirhana and Betta will all run on one oxycon.

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

Old 2006-12-22, 8:30pm
PyronamixK

There are several torches that will run on a single oxygen concentrator. Some run better than others.

I guess this means that you will be getting a propane tank, afterall.
Old 2006-12-23, 6:13am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokieokie View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. After all the worries about propylene, I saw the great Christmas special OxygenPlus was having on their concentrators and ordered one. Now I have a whole new set of questions about what torches run best on one concentrator. Are my only choices a minor or a mini CC? I will probably start a new thread after reading some of the threads regarding torches. Thanks again..you guys rock.

Pam in OKC
The Bobcat is wonderful with a concentrator!
Old 2006-12-24, 9:26am
a minor contributor

I have seen some threads regarding the Minnow. Anybody know about this new torch? By the way, we work only in soft glass, don't do sculptured beads or off mandrel stuff, and at this point have no interest in boro. Since stringer control is something yet to be conquered, it would be nice to have a torch that could be adjusted for size, shape of flame. I have two 20lb. tanks I was using for the propylene, and was told I could use those for the propane. Also, my gas supplier says the addition of Flamex to the propane would boost the fire power..do I need it? Now I'm going to ask a big question that you may not want to answer. Both me and DH smoke (yeah, I know) and I have concerns that the addition of the oxygen is going to mean we can't smoke in the garage anymore. I KNOW some of you smoke, so what I want to know is do you smoke while you are torching?

Thanks,

Pam in OKC.......Merry Christmas...yes, I said Christmas

Old 2006-12-28, 3:45pm
a minor contributor

Default Sorry I killed it

I am a thread killer....RIP

Old 2007-01-03, 10:20pm

Post a new thread with that question--you're not getting the smokers looking @ this one--you're getting the hothead users!! (and most of us are coming in to tell you that you can use plain ol' propane....)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies