LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2005-06-30, 4:15pm

Default photographing bead tutorial needed

I know that this has been discussed in previous places but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for photographing beads. I need a good way to take pictures for show and tells etc. I haven't figured out a good way yet. I've used lamps with a white background but I always get the spot of light on the beads. How many watts do you use in your lamps? How many lamps? Do you use the over-head light in the room or turn it off? So, if anyone has a picture of their photgraphing set up, I would really appreciate it. Please post any tips or tricks you might know on taking good pictures. I need a picture taking tutorial.

Thank you very much! Rachel

Last edited by Rachel; 2005-06-30 at 4:29pm.
Old 2005-06-30, 4:46pm
Life in the slow lane

I'm working on something for our bead group. I'll post a few tips in a couple of days. I'm really busy until then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-06-30, 6:21pm

Outside in indirect light (rarely do I get direct sun) with a tripod. These are my best tips, but the tripod REALLY helps.

Lara

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2005-06-30, 7:18pm
O hai.

EZ cube to diffuse light (a frosted clear plastic bucket works), 2-3 floodlamps, Sony macro digi cam. Works wonders. Pricey at first, but if you're running a serious business, that's the way to go, I say.
Old 2005-07-01, 2:50am
sunscreen me baby

I just take a white matt board and use available window light. As long as the sun isn't shinning in directly you can get great pictures. Try for mid-day to avoid blue or red color casts. Remember to overexpose by 1 to 3 stops depending on the color of the beads. (1 for whites and 3 for blacks)

~

Old 2005-07-01, 3:56am
Piscean Fire Goddess

I just use a piece of computer printer paper, on my patio table during the day (right now anywhere from 9am-10pm - if its warm I have the big creme coloured parasol on the table and that helps diffuse the sunlight.

- SJS Glasswork & Creations
Exploring a philosophical fantasy world.
Old 2005-07-01, 7:41am
koregon

I take mine out on the back covered deck of our house/light is perfect a couple times a day, that the angle makes taking pictures easy. I use a old sony mavica that is point and shoot and had a great macro...I dont have to crop the photo's or anything, the size and all is perfect for eBay. I use outdoor light because I get the beads to be more the color they are to my eyes...whenever I have tried indoor lighting, I have no luck....I take mine on a stone tile I got at home depot. White paper seems to make the whole job a lot lot harder...I also use wood for a background...not all backgrounds work/some are easier to focus on and get the beads to be their true color. I never use direct sun/unless there is some dichro in the bead and I want some sparkle/flashy stuff going on, then I take it at an angle

here is my glassartist.org gallery...it has a lot of photo's...if they are in sunshine, its cuz I wanted someone to see the beads with full sun hitting them...but for the most part, they are taken in indirect light/most all are taken with my sony mavica fd-73...some where taken with my nikon coolpix 3100.

Last edited by Kaye; 2005-07-01 at 7:43am.
Old 2005-07-01, 8:21am

thanks for all the suggestions. I've never tried natural light. My back deck is covered so I might be able to do something out there. My husband can help me with all the macro settings and all that. He has to explain a lot of the camera stuff to me if it isn't something that uses auto. Thanks. That sounds a lot cheaper than buying a lot of bulbs and a station inside.

I can always use more suggestions so please keep them coming....

Rachel
Old 2005-07-02, 4:50pm

Default EZ Cube

I use the EZ Cube light tent and lamps.

I bought the jewelry set and we have used it and have no regrets. It was a great investment. Here's the link to the set:

http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/jephkit.html

Sam