LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2005-12-27, 3:26am

Hello Jan,

thanks for your post. I know this tutorial, it is really great. But to do the same thing on an beadsurface is something different. I tried to do it like Anna told me and it functions. But, there must be a better way to do it. I know beads of asian artist, where the jellyfish-body looks much more "exact", you know? I'll think I have to try more...
Old 2005-12-27, 6:01am

A lot of the asian artists make canes the body and tenticles may be made from a cane and therefore would be perfect.. when I was In Japan in May I saw a bunch of Japanese beads and the decoration was all made with home made cane...

Lynne
Old 2005-12-30, 11:42pm
Metallic Flame Studios

used Moth's tut for making cane last night and made some kick butt jelly's and aquarium beadies today!

I'm hoping to get pics up by Monday night, depending on holiday plans, etc!

(I used a little different method for the body, and will share it after I make some more and perfect the method) It makes the jellys in a "one-shot" method, except for encasing the punch spot...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ltsexpressions; 2005-12-30 at 11:44pm.
Old 2006-01-17, 4:52pm
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBeads
Hello Jan,

thanks for your post. I know this tutorial, it is really great. But to do the same thing on an beadsurface is something different. I tried to do it like Anna told me and it functions. But, there must be a better way to do it. I know beads of asian artist, where the jellyfish-body looks much more "exact", you know? I'll think I have to try more...

Is this a little better?

Try making a striped cane with transparent colors...kind of like an iris cane. First make a dot of white on your bead...then top with the striped cane...if you kind of push outward as you are adding the striped cane it will kind of flare a little and look more realistic. I think some of the asian artists may be using a murine...I didn't feel like dealing with that, but it would give you more detail. When you stick in your tentacle cane stick in and up a little to get the body to dome. It you want to see into the jellyfish is bit more stick the tentacle can more into the body instead of right below...kind of gives you an effect as if you are looking into it.

I don't know how anyone else does their bodies, but this is what works for me and I am very satisfied with the results.

Old 2006-01-20, 1:13pm
Flossy-Flossy

Oh boy, I have to give these another try!

Old 2006-03-12, 2:09pm
CRAZY4PETS

Default Wow! Awesome Jellyfish!!!

Wow, these jellyfish are awesome! I love these beads, great job.

This is a question for Moth. Kind of changes the subject but your little gallery under your post has silver snowflake beads. I ran across them on Ebay a while back. What I would love to know if you dont' mind me asking is, How the heck did you get those perfect snowflakes on the beads like that? Cut outs or buy them like that, then stick them on some how or melt them in??? lol lol They are awesome!!!! I have never seen anything like that. I don't want to make any or anything just really curious to know how it was done. If it is a secret, I will understand, lol lol

Thanks

PAULA

LOVE YOUR PETS AND THEY WILL LOVE YOU BACK
Old 2006-03-12, 3:26pm
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstopbeading
Wow, these jellyfish are awesome! I love these beads, great job.

This is a question for Moth. Kind of changes the subject but your little gallery under your post has silver snowflake beads. I ran across them on Ebay a while back. What I would love to know if you dont' mind me asking is, How the heck did you get those perfect snowflakes on the beads like that? Cut outs or buy them like that, then stick them on some how or melt them in??? lol lol They are awesome!!!! I have never seen anything like that. I don't want to make any or anything just really curious to know how it was done. If it is a secret, I will understand, lol lol

Thanks
LOL (I think I hear Twilight Zone music playing!)...you see today I bought a bunch of tiny punches today (used for scrapbooking)...I already had some leaf punches, but I got a set that has some incredible ones. That is how you get the shapes...with silver foil...as for Mary's technique, it sure is impressive! I thought those beads were amazing when I saw them too!

Old 2006-03-12, 6:26pm
CRAZY4PETS

Default Coooooooool!

Hi Anna,

Ah ha! lol

I was just curious as they were all so uniform and I thought to myself, Self, how they heck was that done? lol

Sorry wasn't trying to get off the jellyfish subject. Yours are aweome by the way. I have never tried to make a jellyfish. There is a place in town that has these massive sort of paperweights with the aquarium scene in them with huge jellyfish and I swear if you stare at them long enough, you would think they were moving inside, and a light in the base shining up threw them and I loved loved loved them but the cheapest one at this lampwork store was $3000!!! Ouch. So I decided I would have to live without it. lol lol

Thanks for the info on the punches. Never would have thought about that in a million years. I am not good with foils so you never have to worry about me duplicating them by any means. They really caught my attention on Ebay during the holidays and when I was in here earlier checking tutorials, I was like deja-vu! Those are the same beads that I liked. Small world huh?

Thanks so much and have a great evening

PAULA

LOVE YOUR PETS AND THEY WILL LOVE YOU BACK
Old 2006-03-12, 6:49pm
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstopbeading
Hi Anna,

Ah ha! lol

I was just curious as they were all so uniform and I thought to myself, Self, how they heck was that done? lol

Sorry wasn't trying to get off the jellyfish subject. Yours are aweome by the way. I have never tried to make a jellyfish. There is a place in town that has these massive sort of paperweights with the aquarium scene in them with huge jellyfish and I swear if you stare at them long enough, you would think they were moving inside, and a light in the base shining up threw them and I loved loved loved them but the cheapest one at this lampwork store was $3000!!! Ouch. So I decided I would have to live without it. lol lol

Thanks for the info on the punches. Never would have thought about that in a million years. I am not good with foils so you never have to worry about me duplicating them by any means. They really caught my attention on Ebay during the holidays and when I was in here earlier checking tutorials, I was like deja-vu! Those are the same beads that I liked. Small world huh?

Thanks so much and have a great evening
Gosh, I don't mind! There hasn't been a whole lot going on in this subject anyway...lol .

Thanks for the kind words about my jellyfish.

Well, if you get your hands on some silver foil you might give them a try...there are countless ways to use this technique and tons of different punches...no one in a million years would think you were copying! I just bought some punches today..one is a dragonfly and a dolphin...wheels are turning...dolphin + jellyfish could equal a very cool bead...I hope! I bought my punches at Joann's but you can find them at Michael's and even Wal-mart. Maybe we can hope Mary makes some more next Holiday season...they caught my eye too, but I was broke .

Old 2006-03-16, 10:25pm
Mary Lockwood

Yep, it was paper punches for scrapbooking.

I bought a dragonfly, a snowflake and something else. Hmmm...what was that? Oh well.

Anyway, I folded a piece of printer paper in half and sandwiched a sheet of silver foil. Punched out a bunch of snowflakes.

Made a base bead of medium blue transparent, got my final shape I wanted and a nice smooth surface. Set a single snowflake on my graphite paddle. Spot heated one side of the bead and carefully rolled the bead onto the snowflake. This was tricky with the snowflake cuz of all those arms, but with a little patience, it wasn't bad.

Burnish the snowflake on there pretty good...rub it around on the marver til it is good and stuck. Then, I would reintroduce the bead into the flame, real far out. I slowly brought the bead back up to the slightest glow, and burnished the snowflake on some more. Back into the flame, get a nice low glow way out.

Then I spot heated the opposite side and did it again. All the beads had two snowflakes.

Once I had both snowflakes on, and they had been burnished and reheated twice (the trick there is to not burn them off), I brought a gentle glow to the bead, rolled it in pixie dust.

Heated it up again to make sure the pixie dust was stuck, then put it in the kiln. I was hoping that the pixie dust would add yet another layer of defense and protection to keep the silver from ever wearing off.

Nikki bought those beads...they live with her now.

Hope that helps guys. Good luck!

~~Mary

Back to the jellies!

Old 2006-03-17, 8:07am
Anna Duhame

Mary, you are so generous with your knowledge!

You aren't kidding when you say the trick is to not burn it off! I think those snowflake beads were stunning! Nikki is one lucky girl!

Old 2020-08-16, 5:29pm

I really wish I could find a hoop free one!
Old 2020-08-16, 5:32pm

I'm finding it difficult to use this set without enough posts! But I guess good things come to those who wait
Old 2020-08-16, 5:33pm

Sorry for the waste of space, but I REALLY need the links in this forum