Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2005-11-26, 6:31pm
*glass spaz*

Default Wanted: Peacock feather tutorial

Hi all, I've been working on my own version, with a bit of satisfaction. But, there are things that are not making me happy. I've done a search, but can't find a peacock feather tutorial around. Anyone have any pictures of ones that you have done, or a tutorial? I need some inspiration, there's only so long I can stare at this photo of a peacock I have. Nature doesn't seem to want to help me today!!

Thanks!

MAR-MAR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-11-27, 3:30pm
Seed Bead Hero

http://www.uniquebeadedjewelry.com/j...Necklaces.html

this isn't lampworking but scrool down for the seedbeaded peacock feather.... Simply beautiful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-11-27, 4:23pm
*glass spaz*

Thanks! If nothing else, that gives me some gorgeous inspiration to work with. I didn't think of putting purple in there, I will try that Tuesday. I was sticking in the teal, pea green, black arena.

Old 2005-11-27, 11:08pm
*glass spaz*

This is my first attempt at a peacock "sort" of thing. It is a work in progress, mind you. I really like the silvered anise white background, and I like the colouring in my dots, I just screwed this one up, possibly thermal shock, the cz's I used in there were 4mm and quite large.

Old 2005-11-28, 4:05am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

This is a kind of free form one I did for a challenge in September. I used Black, pea green, sage, light turquoise, and cobalt

Old 2005-11-28, 6:19am
Detail G-Mama!

Wonderful beadies there ya'll!! Another thing you could do is using those colors, rake the bottoms just a little to make them into a tear drop.

Old 2005-11-28, 4:15pm
In spite of it all!

Default Here is my version

Here is one that I made about a week ago. I am doing them in a slight variation now.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2005-11-28, 8:06pm
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAR*
Hi all, I've been working on my own version, with a bit of satisfaction. But, there are things that are not making me happy. I've done a search, but can't find a peacock feather tutorial around. Anyone have any pictures of ones that you have done, or a tutorial? I need some inspiration, there's only so long I can stare at this photo of a peacock I have. Nature doesn't seem to want to help me today!!

Thanks!

MAR-MAR

LOL

Marci, I just mailed you a peacock feather bead! This is a good way to get peacock feathers:

You encased a goldstone chunk with emerald green transparent and make a stringer...kind of like a piece of angel hair pasta.

Make your base bead (a cylinder or oblong is easiest)....wrap the the stringer in a spiral around the bead. Melt it in...

Feather comb it down and then up, alternating (so it makes V's around the bead--like the wispy parts of a peacock feather)... make a dot of green (avocado is what I think I used...pea green would be fine too, I think, then make a small dot of turquoise at the top of the V's alternating down and up--so they look like they are alternating directions.

Put another dot of cobalt on top of the turquoise, slightly of center...lastly put a smaller dot of black, slightly off center.

melt the black in and then using your pick, rake the the black to make a little indentation....

Viola..peacock feathers!

It will make more sense when you see the bead...it was the first one I ever made but I knew you were loving peacock feathers so I sent it to you. I will try to make another and take pictures so I can make more sense!

This sketch kind of sucks, but I hope it kind of helps you understand what I mean!

[

Last edited by hummingbird3172; 2005-11-28 at 10:32pm.
Old 2005-11-28, 11:18pm
*glass spaz*

I LOVE your "pathetic" sketch and I think this is a very good idea. I have got to print this out and work on it tomorrow. I really love how the black background in Debbie P's set looks. I hadn't thought of using black. I've been using the silvered anise background. I may try this process with both backgrounds and see which one pops and makes me happier! I think that combing the stripes will make a good bed of feathers. I hope this works for me and I absolutely CANNOT wait to see the one you sent me! Thank you so much!

Old 2005-11-29, 7:34am
Sparkle Strumpet

Wow....these ideas are great....all I was going to say was to chase down a peacock and pull, but making a bead is probably safer!
Old 2005-11-29, 8:30am
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieBSmith
Wow....these ideas are great....all I was going to say was to chase down a peacock and pull, but making a bead is probably safer!
LOL! They do peck something awful!

Marci, I really hope it helps you out. Personally I really love how that silvered anise white came out, but the black does pop with those bright greens! I hope you like the bead...it is a first attempt mind you, but I had to send it!

Old 2005-11-29, 8:51am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I'll post pics tonight I took after chasing a peacock around for a few hours. LOL

I got VERY close to him.

Old 2005-11-29, 10:26am

Ooooohhhhh...I LOVE the look of peacock feathers too! Here's some I made last week.

Jan
Attached Images

Old 2005-11-29, 11:50am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Very PRETTY!!!!!!

Old 2005-11-29, 6:54pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Here's a pic a took one day chasing a peacock around. LOL

Old 2005-11-29, 8:21pm
*glass spaz*

Jan, I love your trans glass interpretation, so pretty and lets light through!

Debbie, you are lucky you didn't get pecked to death! They are pretty (mean). ha ha.

I spent the majority of my torching time today working on peacock bead variations. I think I did about 7 or so. They are cooling in the kiln. Once I get them cleaned tomorrow, I'll try to post the latest attempts!

Old 2005-11-29, 8:26pm
needs to light the torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierces*designs
Here's a pic a took one day chasing a peacock around. LOL

Debbie did you really take that picture after chasing him around?!?!?!?!?!?!

It is a beautiful peacock and a beautiful photo!!

(I hope I am not being gullible again! )

Old 2005-11-29, 9:39pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

No, I really did chase him around. We have a Natural Science Center here and they have a bunch of males. I take a lot of nature photography and I REALY wanted a pic of a peacock! LOL

Old 2005-11-29, 9:40pm

Quote:

Thanks!

MAR-MAR
I have peacock feather if you need some. My best friend works on a peacock farm..
vanity
Old 2005-11-29, 9:45pm
*glass spaz*

Oh really? i would absolutely LOVE to have a real one. I have so many printed out pictures of pictures, ha ha, they are great, but I want to have a real one of the wall in front of me to inspire my muse! The colouring is so specific too. I don't need it to be absolutely perfect, but I want it to have true peacock essence in the colouring, this is important to me. Let me know if you want me to send you some $ to mail me one. And thank you for your kind consideration. I appreciate everyone being so helpful. I may have a bead or two to make it all worth while in a few days!!! ha ha.

Old 2005-11-29, 9:48pm
needs to light the torch.

Well it really is a wonderful picture!!!
LOL, I can just imagine you chasing them around!! LMAO!!!

I am pretty sure they sell peacock feathers at pet supply stores...
I bought one for my cats once... I think it lasted about 2 seconds... LOL

Old 2005-11-29, 9:54pm
*glass spaz*

ha ha. That is a good point. If I get one, I best keep it UP on the wall and away from the pussen.

Old 2005-11-30, 3:11am

Quote:
Oh really? i would absolutely LOVE to have a real one. I have so many printed out pictures of pictures, ha ha, they are great, but I want to have a real one of the wall in front of me to inspire my muse! The colouring is so specific too. I don't need it to be absolutely perfect, but I want it to have true peacock essence in the colouring, this is important to me. Let me know if you want me to send you some $ to mail me one. And thank you for your kind consideration. I appreciate everyone being so helpful. I may have a bead or two to make it all worth while in a few days!!! ha ha.
Not a problem.Send me your addy and it will be put in the mail right away..
Old 2005-11-30, 4:58am
oxygen deprived

i have a peacock feather I got for $.65 at a hat shop which sold trimmings. although there aren't exactly hat shops galore anymore...
Old 2005-12-01, 8:54pm
Anna Duhame

Marci,

Now Ava and Emma are going to think you are getting them a new toy! LOL
Looking forward to pictures!!!

Very gorgeous bead, Jan!

And a gorgeous peacock picture! He appears to almost glow! What a beauty!

Old 2005-12-02, 1:25pm
*glass spaz*

I am going to have to keep that feather WAY away from the pussen. They are going to be very keen on DESTROYING it if they see it! ha ha.

Anna, you should have posted YOUR peacock bead, it is so awesome. If you give me permission, I will take a picture of it and put it up. I love it, thank you so much for gifting it to me, I am playing with it right now!

Here's a few of mine. They are starters, I am not totally happy with them yet. I put cz's in the "eyes" of some of the feathers. I like the encased ones alot. I did one the other day I am really proud of, but it is still in Diane's kiln, so we will see it tomorrow! weeeee!

this one shows up brown in the photo, and it isn't at all, weird....
cz's in this one:

a little more abstract and glittery
the one on the left has cz's in the "eyes" of the feathers

Old 2005-12-04, 1:41pm
Just me

All these peacock beads inspired me to attempt a few. I feel as though I'm on the right track but pfffft unfortunately I don't know when I'll have time to really pursue getting them down. I have an idea in my head as to how I'd like them to turn out but am not getting it at the torch. PPP!
Any way here's my first attempts, the photos are in order. I think the bicone was probably the closest to what I was hoping to acheive. So close yet so, so, so far! I have a few more ideas I'd like to play around with. If I get the opportunity I'll post them here.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2005-12-04 at 1:44pm.
Old 2005-12-04, 7:08pm
*glass spaz*

Wow! Those are lovely. You're definitely on the right track.

I hope Mary posts hers in here too. They are in the Friday show & tell right now, if anyone wants to check them out for additional inspiration.

This thread is going to be super-peacock-arific!

Old 2005-12-05, 2:04am
*glass spaz*

Heaven help me, I can't stop! lol.
Here's an encased one................

Old 2005-12-05, 3:36am

Quote:
Heaven help me, I can't stop! lol.
Here's an encased one................

That's a killer bead!! Here's one I made proably 12 or more years ago, it was one of my first beads ever, and I still love it and make this design over again. I didn't know EDP wasn't suppose to go dull, ( there wasn't much info in those days!!! and now I strive to get this effect from it!)I now add some silver or gold foil to them but don't have any recent bead photo's/ Sheila
Attached Images