Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-14, 5:57am
The Brighter the Better!

Default Which colours don't like to be encased?

Hi! Can you please help me? I am hoping to find out what colours don't like being encased. I tried to make a ribbon bead with a bright acid yellow base, encased in Vetro Super clear and it got those ominous crazy cracks that one's heart sinks to look at

Cheers

Jenny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-14, 6:32am
Lover of all things color

Good question, we need a master list.

I know that Rubino and EDP are two that don't like it unless you completely cover them. I have had a lot of trouble with Tangerine Sparkle which I THINK is CIM. I'm tried more than once to encase it only to have it crack.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-12-14, 6:49am

Tangerine Sparkle is Vetro.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-12-14, 7:46am
Life is change. Love it

There are so many that don't really like to be encased, but can on occasion with the right clear. Diamond Clear and Tag clear are the best I've found for encasing fussy colours.

Old 2008-12-14, 11:23am
Sheila

Some of the fussy colors (like corals) can be encased if you make a base of clear, encase with the color, then encase with clear. The yellow might work if you do that.

Old 2008-12-14, 12:15pm
when in doubt, add a dot

I've learned some ways around this from Franz's website, on the color pallette thing, if you look on the description for each color it'll tell you what you can't encase and which you can with a core of clear. Might help.
Jaquetta

If you want my attention, talk glass to me.
Old 2008-12-14, 12:52pm

The special colors (red, yellow, orange) I'm pretty sure don't like to be encased.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-12-14, 1:39pm

yep, red. yellow, orange and variations of those colors don't like to be encased. They can be but expect some trouble!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-12-14, 3:20pm
I need more boro stuff

I encased red with reformulated Laucha clear and still hold after 3 months.

Old 2008-12-14, 6:30pm
The Brighter the Better!

Thank you all, I am off to check the Frantz website now,

Cheers

Jenny

Old 2008-12-14, 6:38pm

Coral also isn't particularly interested in being encased.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-12-15, 4:11am
The Brighter the Better!

Well! What can I say...Having checked out the Frantz site and got all this loverly information, I go to remake this bead and my kiln won't work

Hope I can get this fixed before Christmas or I will start going through glass withdrawal

Cheers

Jenny