Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-02-21, 11:19am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default CIM and SS

Enough acronyms for ya?

Anyways, normally I would not ask for such information as I am not lazy and I do enjoy the process of discovery when working with glass. I just have one problem though........Lack of funds and glass. I cannot afford to waste too much at the moment.

I would really like to hear which glasses, and I am assuming they will be mostly opaque or maybe all? that allow silvered ivory stringer to spread out nicely. I am only interested in CIM at the moment.

Well that is not true. If you know of one that knocks your socks off , just pipe in no matter the manufacturer but I am trying to work mostly in CIM right now.

Here is my contribution:

1. Black/ CIM hades or Morreti, love it!
2. Eggplant CIM , yum!
3. CIM Lapis but I am having an issue with this glass. It gets a shiny surface in parts of the beads. I don't care for that so much.

Here are my photos to start things off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-21, 4:32pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Hmz, 35 views and no love for me , ahh wells.

Old 2010-02-21, 5:24pm
Angie09

Well ... no good info here for you except to say ... your photography is EXCELLENT!!! And the beads are beautiful!
Old 2010-02-21, 8:27pm
Lampworkaholic!

CIM Canyon de Chelly and Stone Ground are nice with silvered stringer (or as silvered stringer).

I have just learned that Fossil and Lace Agate make amazing silvered stringer.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-02-22, 12:37am
Creatrixie

Your beads are lookin' good, 'Gems.
I'm interested in finding out what people have to say on this subject too!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-02-22, 5:39am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Look at you, Jacqueline!!! You are rocking that new Mini CC!!!! Great Beads and color combos!! Cheers! JoanL

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-02-22, 5:42am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

It's not CIM - but I really like the Moretti New Violet (it is reactive) with the SIS:
Attached Images

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-02-22, 7:30am
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh thanks for all the replies this morning! It was a nice surprise. I took notes and I will experiment with all your suggestions today.

Yes Joan I am loving my new torch!

Melanie gave me a couple of suggestions yesterday and CIM lipstick ADORES Silvered Ivory stringer. Beads are soaking but I will post pics when I can.

Old 2010-02-22, 7:48am
Jacqueline Parkes

Here are the results with CIM Lipstick. I ran out of energy and glass to make more last night.

Which characteristics in the glass causes this? I would like to understand so I know how to choose glasses.

Old 2010-02-22, 7:49am
Jacqueline Parkes

Great beads and I am trying to find this glass in my stash, Unfortunately I did not always label when I was purchasing lots of Moretti back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2canoe View Post
It's not CIM - but I really like the Moretti New Violet (it is reactive) with the SIS:

Old 2010-02-22, 1:00pm
one day at a time

You have some of the best bead photography I have seen yet. Very classy, I love it! You inspire me to do a lot more with mine. I'm getting really bored with my stark white backgrounds!

I just bought some CiM and I plan to do some similar beads of my silvered wave series.
Old 2010-02-22, 1:21pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Wow, thank you Lisi, I still see so much need for improvement though. Maybe I am crazy...

I think I noticed your silvered wave series on Etsy. You normally do them on transparents though, yes?

I still like SS on black the best...........it just speaks to me. I am going to make a jewelry set with them when I finally have enough beads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
You have some of the best bead photography I have seen yet. Very classy, I love it! You inspire me to do a lot more with mine. I'm getting really bored with my stark white backgrounds!

I just bought some CiM and I plan to do some similar beads of my silvered wave series.

Old 2010-02-22, 4:52pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Wow, thank you Lisi, I still see so much need for improvement though. Maybe I am crazy...

I think I noticed your silvered wave series on Etsy. You normally do them on transparents though, yes?

I still like SS on black the best...........it just speaks to me. I am going to make a jewelry set with them when I finally have enough beads.
Yes, and also on different colored bases, like the Silvered Ink Blue, which has a base of pale grey and swirls of ink blue with the SIS waves on top. Speaking of which, I need to make some og those tonight!