Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-02-06, 1:11pm
Drawn to the Flame

Default Wedding Flowers...ROSES???

HI all,

My sister is getting married and has asked me to make her wedding jewelry, but I am stuck on ideas...
Rather I HAVE ideas, but do not know how to do them?!?!?!

I am looking for a rose tutorial and possibly any other flowers that might be wedding-suitable.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Teresa
Old 2008-02-06, 1:47pm
Beadmaking.nl

Hi Teresa,

Perhaps you like this one:

http://www173.pair.com/mirish2u/rosestut.htm

or

http://home.earthlink.net/~marymiche...adTutorial.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-06, 3:29pm
I speak Murrini!

Wow, how absolutely GORGEOUS those are!!!! I see she states these should only be attempted on a Fuel/Oxy torch - Hot Heads have too wide and uncontrollable a flame... I'm on a Hot Head (and I'm a HARD HEAD!), so I might just try them anyway and see if I can beat the odds!

Thanks for posting it...and Good Luck Teresa!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-02-06, 3:56pm
Queen Of the Kitty Parade

www.perazabeads.com
Old 2008-02-06, 7:20pm
Drawn to the Flame

thank you!

i like michelle's...but am not sure i have the patience!
Old 2008-02-06, 7:38pm
Catchen' the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Wow, how absolutely GORGEOUS those are!!!! I see she states these should only be attempted on a Fuel/Oxy torch - Hot Heads have too wide and uncontrollable a flame... I'm on a Hot Head (and I'm a HARD HEAD!), so I might just try them anyway and see if I can beat the odds!

Thanks for posting it...and Good Luck Teresa!

DeAnne in CA
Actually you can do those on a hot head I do. Just keep them far out in the flame when you are encasing and when you plunge the flowers that way you don't burn your clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refined with Fire View Post
thank you!

i like michelle's...but am not sure i have the patience!
I though I would never be able to do these but they don't take as long as you would think and the one thing to remember is once you "get" it they are so easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2008-02-06, 7:39pm
Glass-aholic

I made a lovely set for a wedding in black and white!

I made sure that each person in the wedding party had one bead the same as the bride, and the rest were different but matched!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-02-06, 7:59pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharyl View Post
Actually you can do those on a hot head I do. Just keep them far out in the flame when you are encasing and when you plunge the flowers that way you don't burn your clear.

I though I would never be able to do these but they don't take as long as you would think and the one thing to remember is once you "get" it they are so easy.
Hi Sharyl:

Thanks for the information and encouragement!!! I reviewed the tutorial again, and I didn't see anything about encasing or plunging or use of clear - am I missing it? (Wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure!)

I'm thinking I'd really like to try them...I've been looking at the "Petal Puller" but it seems this method accomplishes pretty much the same thing!

Thanks again to everyone! I sure hope Teresa gives this a try, too! Sooooo pretty~~~!

DeAnne in CA

Old 2008-02-14, 10:28am
Drawn to the Flame

OMG...

I am so frustrated.
I LOVE michelle's tutorial,
but I have to be missing something because all of my roses just look like mushy petals.
i know that i am out of practice too.
oh bother!

i just had a really frustrating night because nothing turned out the way it looked in my head!

AAAHHHH!

T
Old 2008-02-14, 12:55pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, Teresa! Sorry to hear about the frustration! I "live" there sometimes, too! Don't give up, though...I find that some days NOTHING works; there are days I can't even seem to make spacers without it taking 3x longer than it should! Maybe you just had an "off" day...consider it a "warm up" practice run, and get back in there and try again!!!

Another idea I had - maybe worth a try (similar to the tutorial concept, except you would work directly on the bead base, instead of attaching separate petals, you'd create them directly on the base bead):

1. Create a "tube" bead - sort of like the tutorial shows as a base (3/4 the color of the roses; 1/4 in a green for leaves).

2. Starting up high on the "rose" colored portion of the tube, and 2-3 "dots" evenly spaced around the tube - make them nice sized and don't melt them in too much - just enough to stick well.

3. Flatten the dots with a masher so they stand out like daisy petals - out from the tube. Pull just the very tips of the "petals" to create just a bit of a point, heat each one, and press it slightly (but not all the way flat) toward the tube.

4. Working further down on the tube (about 1/2 way between the first row of dots and the green portion of the tube base bead) make a next "row" of these same dots - this time larger ones, and space them so they end up in between the first row of somewhat flattened "petals".

5. Work them the same way as the first row above, marvering them and working them slightly upward so they land between the first set of petals.

6. Do a third row - as above - this time make them large, so they cup upward and somewhat envelope the first two rows of petals.

7. Do a final row (at the green section of the "tube") with the green glass - keep these smaller and pull the dots after flattening - probably best done with tweezers - to make the "leaf" shape.

DON'T FORGET TO BATHE THE WHOLE BEAD WHILE WORKING SO NOTHING CRACKS AND BLOWS! I'm picturing this in my mind - I'm going to give it a try and see if it works. I work on a Hot Head, with limited heat adjustability - I'm hoping it works to a similar effect!

Let us know how it's going! Good luck...
DeAnne in CA

Last edited by theglasszone; 2008-02-14 at 1:52pm. Reason: Adding suggestions and perspective detail!
Old 2008-02-14, 2:11pm
Sheryll

Have you looked at the petal puller, from Karen Leonardo? There's a thread (I think in the gallery that shows examples of the flowers made w/ the tool). See if it's something you would be interested in making? I *think* I want to make my own veil (just got engaged) and also want to make some flowers for it. I have some examples at home, I'll try to remember to take some pics and post them for you.
Old 2008-02-15, 8:07am
Catchen' the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Hi Sharyl:

Thanks for the information and encouragement!!! I reviewed the tutorial again, and I didn't see anything about encasing or plunging or use of clear - am I missing it? (Wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure!)

I'm thinking I'd really like to try them...I've been looking at the "Petal Puller" but it seems this method accomplishes pretty much the same thing!

Thanks again to everyone! I sure hope Teresa gives this a try, too! Sooooo pretty~~~!

DeAnne in CA
Guess I should have been more clear. I was talking about the plunged flowers. I think those were the ones michelle showed (we have looked so many times we have gone over her limit so I can't look now) anyway. I was talking about the plunged flowers which most say you can't do on a hot head.
I haven't photo'ed any of mine so I can't show one of those right now. here is a tut on one like I was talking about.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=52884

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2008-02-15, 12:42pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharyl View Post
Guess I should have been more clear. I was talking about the plunged flowers...I was talking about the plunged flowers which most say you can't do on a hot head... http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=52884
Hi Again:

WELL, now I get it!!! OK - Here's a thread that talks ALL ABOUT THOSE TYPE OF FLORALS...
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=flower+petals

Take a look at the wonderful florals done by Yunita (see Post #53, Page Two) - she works on a Hot Head - and they are amazing!!!! PRACTICE and PATIENCE are the key words here!!! Hope this helps a bit!

TERESA: Are you asking for help on SCULPTED FLORALS or PLUNGED & ENCASED ones?

DeAnne in CA

Old 2008-02-15, 1:03pm
I speak Murrini!

Popping in to say that doing Sculpted Roses was a bit harder than I expected...here's my first try - I'd say that PRACTICE is in order here!!! Hope others will DARE to show their successes and "trials", as have I:

Definitely look better from a DISTANCE!!! Ha - "Never give up; never surrender!!!"

DeAnne in CA