Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-17, 9:21am
Master Procrastinator

Default Original Terra

I know it's been awhile since it's been available, but does anyone recall what original Terra has been selling for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-08-18, 8:22am
Live and Let Live

Last time I sold some it was $60 a 1/4 pound.

Old 2013-08-18, 10:09am
da General

I believe its value has dropped a lot since Double Helix started making it again.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-08-19, 6:50pm
Avada Kedavra

There is some more information to that. There were two "original" batches of Terra, fast striking (which is what everyone loves) and the slower to strike Terra. DH, managed to recreate fast striking terra, which is a more stable variation of their original fast striking formula. You can find it on their website.

The amazing Kim Neely created this tutorial last year: https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/9892...op_home_active

Which gives you insight into the history of the glass and how to work Terra. Best money I've ever spent on a tutorial, she is so giving with her knowledge. I remember seeing her early beads and just being floored at how she created them.

I have a batch of "original" Terra, but it was not the "fast striking" kind. I've shelved it in favour of the newer batches found on DH's website.

Old 2013-08-19, 6:58pm
Master Procrastinator

What I have is the ORIGINAL original from about 5-7 years ago. Can't remember exactly. I've been hoarding it but am thinking of letting some go, especially some of the frit. I had saved some pricing info on it, but then lost the data when my son reformatted my computer. so just trying to get an idea of worth. Last I recall the rods were going for something like $10 a rod or am I remembering incorrectly?

Old 2013-08-19, 7:08pm
Avada Kedavra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
What I have is the ORIGINAL original from about 5-7 years ago. Can't remember exactly. I've been hoarding it but am thinking of letting some go, especially some of the frit. I had saved some pricing info on it, but then lost the data when my son reformatted my computer. so just trying to get an idea of worth. Last I recall the rods were going for something like $10 a rod or am I remembering incorrectly?
That's the stuff I had too, I stopped lampworking in 2008 and only just come back to it, and so my Terra must be from 2007 (I think the first batch was pulled and sold at the end of 2006) as that was when I was using it the most. I do remember $10.00 a rod being a price for it, someone asked me if I had any and if I would sell it to them. I did research at the time (maybe three years ago now) and said no when I realised that the glass was quite valuable.

There are people who want the "original" original formula, if you find that market you will sell it at a higher price.

Old 2013-08-19, 11:17pm
Naysayer

I don't remember two terra's back then? But I think it was going for 10.00 a rod. But I too wondered about the price since they sell the handpulled.

I remembered Mike Frantz was selling some, here's the thread, they mention 10.00 a rod http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...ighlight=terra
Old 2013-08-20, 1:46am
Avada Kedavra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
I don't remember two terra's back then? But I think it was going for 10.00 a rod. But I too wondered about the price since they sell the handpulled.

I remembered Mike Frantz was selling some, here's the thread, they mention 10.00 a rod http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...ighlight=terra
Ohhh my, that's how I remember it. From the sale! There were tears when people missed out. Nice find Raveneque.

As for the "two Terra's" there wasn't two kinds of Terra, there was one batch that wasn't quite as good at getting marvellous torch strike colours as the other batches, it seemed to strike better in the kiln.

Tags
double helix, original terra