Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-04, 8:49pm

Default coring

I am measurement challenged. I would like to order some tubing to try coring.

I would like to get copper and aluminum. I have 1/4 mandrels and I believe 5/32. Is that the size tubing I need to look for?

Thank you all in advance.

Cherri
Old 2012-12-05, 2:38am

It depends what the beads are intended for. If you need them to fit charm bracelets, it's important to know what inner diameter will work with them.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Ebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-12-05, 9:08pm

I tried them (I think beads made with 5/32) on the bracelets that my friend has and they fit. I have some of the glue in rivets and tested them again and they fit her bracelet. Of course the 1/4 fit and plenty big enough.. I don't know much about the bracelets, I guess I better do some more hunting. I have some 1/4 outside dia. copper, but need to figure out what to buy for the smaller bead holes.

Thank you for the reply.

Cherri
Old 2012-12-05, 10:11pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Cherri
If you remind me (i'm off to bed) I can measure for mine...... I have a bracelet, beads, mandrels and I also have a digital caliper......SO I can take all the measurements and let you know. Email me in the am or so.
Thanks
Sue

Old 2012-12-06, 2:01am

Where did you get your glue in rivets ? Are they SS ?

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-12-06, 2:14am
Melody of Glass

The "fits Pandora" tubing from Ginko works perfectly for me and fits nicely on Pandora and Amore and Baci. I believe it fits the others as well but I've not tried. I should double dip the 3/16 but I don't. I use a rotary tool to slightly enlarge the holes to fit the tubing.

My experience with the aluminum was that it split too easily when I tried to flare it. I went to ss but there is a bit of a price difference!!

The descriptions talk about mandrel size.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ginkodesigns#

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-12-06, 7:22pm

Here is the information that I've copied from several sources. Hopefully it's correct.

Pandora style use a 3/16th mandrel if you plan on coring them. If you don't, then make them on a 5/32.
Pandora chains are 4.2mm
Biagi chains are 4.1mm
Troll chains are less than 4mm
European chains, the minimum hole size is 4.37mm
Uncored beads made on 5/32" mandrels will fit because 5/32" is 0.15625" which is 3.96875mm provided that your bead release is 0.2mm thick
If you core your beads and want to use 3/16" mandrels, you must get the special sterling silver tubings Debbi Hackeson/ginkodesigns worked with Indian Jewelry Supply to custom produce the ONLY 5.08mm tubings that will fit Pandora chains allowing you to use 3/16" mandrels. 27 gauge, 5.08mm OD, 4.37mm ID are the important specifications. The standard 3/16" tubings from Rio Grande and other suppliers will NOT work. http://www.etsy.com/shop/ginkodesigns
Even then, the mandrel is 3/16" which is 4.7625mm. The tubing is a smidge over 5mm. Thus if you have a thin coat of bead release, you do need to dremel the hole out a bit to fit.

Like I said this is just accumulated information. I've never done any coring. Hopefully it's correct and helpful.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2012-12-06, 8:37pm

That pretty much covers it. Let me know if I can help out. Dave at Art in the Round has good information on his site, and makes a great coring tool. A simple plumbers tube cutter works well for cutting the tubing.

Ginko Beads
Old 2012-12-07, 5:13pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Hi Cherrie,

When I started coring about 2 yrs. ago, I made a list of resources that had good tips & info. I'll share it with ya:

A good discussion on coring
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4386

Youtube video on how to prepare your metal tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d_-d...eature=related

Tubing discussion, including sizes
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...=silver+tubing

Hole size & mandrel size discussion
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...andora+mandrel

When I first started coring (and realized how expensive a foot of silver tubing is) I decided to practice using copper & brass. I went to the hardware store with a couple beads in my pocket and used them to measure what size tubing I needed. Of course, silver feels a bit different from copper or brass when you core it, but there are plenty of skills a new corer needs to practice that are applicable for cheap brass & copper instead of using your expensive silver. I know Ginko on Etsy also sells aluminum, so you could practice on that, too. Likewise, you'll find some at your local hardware store, usually in with the copper & brass.

Old 2012-12-11, 9:22am

Thank you everyone... Sorry for the delay. sort of slammed at work with Christmas orders. I will check out all the information. Thank you again.

Cherri
Old 2012-12-11, 10:44am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiP View Post
Pandora chains are 4.2mm
Biagi chains are 4.1mm
Troll chains are less than 4mm
European chains, the minimum hole size is 4.37mm
Uncored beads made on 5/32" mandrels will fit because 5/32" is 0.15625" which is 3.96875mm provided that your bead release is 0.2mm thick
If you core your beads and want to use 3/16" mandrels, you must get the special sterling silver tubings Debbi Hackeson/ginkodesigns worked with Indian Jewelry Supply to custom produce the ONLY 5.08mm tubings that will fit Pandora chains allowing you to use 3/16" mandrels. 27 gauge, 5.08mm OD, 4.37mm ID are the important specifications. The standard 3/16" tubings from Rio Grande and other suppliers will NOT work. http://www.etsy.com/shop/ginkodesigns
Even then, the mandrel is 3/16" which is 4.7625mm. The tubing is a smidge over 5mm. Thus if you have a thin coat of bead release, you do need to dremel the hole out a bit to fit.

Like I said this is just accumulated information. I've never done any coring. Hopefully it's correct and helpful.
All of the above information is from my first post of the Big-Hole Bead Exchange. There are more information in that post and throughout the exchange thread if you are interested.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=166167

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-12-11, 5:21pm
Melody of Glass

Wow, Hayley....when you're done with earrings, looks like it might be time for a BHB4!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-12-13, 4:46am

Great info around.
Does anyone know of a European supplier of the premade silver cores ? The kind you wind the glass onto ?

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-12-13, 6:25am
Renee

I have some tubing in the garage sale that fits 5/32. I got it from Rio.

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"

Last edited by mtnlaurel; 2012-12-13 at 6:26am. Reason: specified size
Old 2020-11-18, 8:51am

Does anyone know where I can get the silver tubing that Ginko used to sell? Her supplier of course is no longer in business and this tubing was always so perfect for BHB on a 3/16 mandrel. I stopped coring several years ago and want to get back into it. Thanks.

Old 2020-11-18, 1:19pm

Santa Fe Jewelry supply Item # 118205
Old 2020-11-20, 6:00pm

Thanks Kathy!

Old 2020-12-27, 12:07pm

Thank-you Kathy, I was looking at all the old posts and getting confused. Most of the old links, part numbers didn't work.