LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-01-12, 10:20am

Default Shield users, where is your placed?

I am so excited to finally have a shield! I've been wearing the two pair of glasses and it about drove me nuts.

I was hoping I could see some pics of how some of you have yours placed on your bench. I'm trying to decide where to set mine!

Please & thank you,

Stephanie
Old 2011-01-12, 2:10pm
Somewhat out there!

I don't have a picture but I usually place the base on my left side and have the arm straight over to my torch. Will try to get a pic tonite. I don't always use it as it gets in my way at times but I like it better than wearing glasses.

Julianne
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-12, 2:44pm

Hi Stephanie,

This google search brings up quite few images of shields though they are mixed in with all kinds of other stuff:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&b...=&oq=&gs_rfai=
Old 2011-01-12, 5:29pm
Salt Box Beads

I attached mine up under my vent so it would be completely out of the way. I can still fully adjust it.

Lorraine
Attached Images

Old 2011-01-12, 5:36pm
Detail G-Mama!

I would love to have mine attatched to my hood, gotta figure that one out but right now it's off to the left of me since I'm right handed.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-01-12, 6:20pm
put a bird on it

Mine is exactly like Lorraine's - hanging down below my hood. The first time I used it, with the stand on the left, it was so in my way, I stuck my finger in the flame and got a really bad burn

I do a lot of off-mandrel stuff, tho, so that requires more room to move than bead making does.
Old 2011-01-13, 6:40am

Thank you all! As I played with it a little bit setting it on my bench yesterday, I could see it being in the way could be a problem. I have my beloved Bearfoot arm rests right where I love them, and the two were wanting the same exact spot!

I also have a shelf above my work space on which my fan rests, so maybe I can stick it up there.

Thanks againl, now I have a starting point!
Old 2011-01-14, 10:36am
Burning Fingers!

I am right handed, but I put mine on the right hand side, and then put my tools on the base so they are handy.

/
/
/

Old 2011-01-14, 12:13pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I built a bailey (? - I think that's what you call it) box and I have little 2x4's that stick out on either side where I have hand tools and cutters resting and I attached mine to the end of that little 2x4 - Mine also swings away (I don't know if they all do that) so it works perfectly for me. Maybe you can build a support for yours coming out of the wall? It would drive me crazy to have mine anchored on the table but that's just me, as you can see I have enough stuff crammed on there as it is! HTH!

Old 2011-02-26, 3:59pm
Obsessionwoman

Great information...thank you so much....I have a shield on my Minor but I just bought a Barracuda for soft and boro...I would love the shield that also has the boro shield with it.
I tried to go to Blue Moon Glassworks but gave up after trying for half an hour...computers are not one of my skillsets....pooh
Old 2011-02-26, 4:04pm
birdergirl ~o~

Mine is about where Ann's is but closer to the vent, not out of the way at all . I'd love to hang it from my vent like Lorraine's. How'd you do that??

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2011-02-27, 7:32am
Glassmangler

Old 2011-03-03, 11:21am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterGlass View Post
Showoff.

You owe me a keyboard, I just drooled all over it.

Oh that torch. WANT!

Old 2011-03-03, 11:28am

OMG....Jester!! Look at all the hoses!!! Can you fly to the moon too with all that fuel???
Old 2011-03-04, 6:57am
Glassmangler

The first two stages are a Lynx & Phantom, so it actually uses less fuel than you might think. Running it wide open on all three rings is a different matter, I can eat a K tank in about 3-4 hours if I'm doing 2"+ marbles.
Old 2011-03-04, 7:17am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
The first two stages are a Lynx & Phantom, so it actually uses less fuel than you might think. Running it wide open on all three rings is a different matter, I can eat a K tank in about 3-4 hours if I'm doing 2"+ marbles.
Jeez, 3 or 4 hours? That would never work for me (not that I'm good enough to use a monster torch like that but I can still dream) because I have to drive an hour to get to my oxy supplier. I go there often enough now as it is (I know I know, get a concentrator).

What do you do Jester? Do you change out with concentrators or liquid O2 or keep a bunch of tanks on hand? I'm just curious how one would handle a torch that demanding.

Old 2011-03-04, 1:29pm
Glassmangler

I fill my own tanks. On average, each K tank lasts me 10 hours or so. I have two K tanks, and a backup 125 tank that I haven't had to use yet.

It takes 28 hours to fill one. I rarely get more than 3 hours to work in a day, so the system is perfect for me. If I worked 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, I'd probably have to do small stuff only for 2 days/week.
Old 2011-03-04, 9:30pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
I fill my own tanks. On average, each K tank lasts me 10 hours or so. I have two K tanks, and a backup 125 tank that I haven't had to use yet.

It takes 28 hours to fill one. I rarely get more than 3 hours to work in a day, so the system is perfect for me. If I worked 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, I'd probably have to do small stuff only for 2 days/week.
What a cool setup! Thanks for the info, it's always fun to hear how someone else works.

I'd love to do glass 8 hours a day. I have to eat though, sooo....

I end up going after oxy about two times a month, more if I get more time to torch. I keep two tanks on hand. The drive is a pain but my oxy supplier is wonderful. The only option here in Arlington was Airgas and they suck. Too expensive and rude as hell.

Old 2011-03-05, 5:40am

I had forgotten all about this thread! Holy moley that is quite the torch Jester glass. Wow.

I am loving all the pics. I will have to take a pic of what i did, I hung mine on a shelf above and it is working great!@ I love having the shield so much better than trying to peer through two pairs of glasses!
Old 2011-03-05, 6:43am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Me too! I felt like I had 40 lbs on my face before I got my shield. It's wonderful.