LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2013-12-29, 1:12pm
Master Procrastinator

Default Bloodshot eyeball tute?

Does anyone know where I can find a tute for a bloodshot eyeball? I just love that effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-01-12, 9:50pm
Senior Moment

I was poking around, and Heather Sellers of Dragonfly Lampwork did some bloodshot eyes last Halloween. Maybe email her and ask?

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-01-13, 12:53pm
Master Procrastinator

thanks Alli! I had to google to find her work. I was looking for something with more diffuse lines. Have some ideas popping around in my head. Just waiting for a warm enough day to actually go out to the studio & try it.

Old 2014-01-13, 2:20pm

I heavily encase a red stringer with clear and then pull really thin.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2014-01-13, 2:41pm
Master Procrastinator

thanks Melinda! that's what I was going to try. Am looking for an effect similar to intense black but in a red. Now I just need the weather to cooperate.

Old 2014-01-14, 12:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
thanks Melinda! that's what I was going to try. Am looking for an effect similar to intense black but in a red. Now I just need the weather to cooperate.
me too. Haven't seen something like that though.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2014-01-15, 12:06pm

dragons blood looks great as red eye.been doing them with colbolt veins to.
Old 2014-01-15, 6:06pm
It's all about the color.

Get some Bright Red Thompson Enamel frit and pull it into a stringer. That just might do it for you. For those who are not familiar with my frit charts, the first bead is with the frit on Effetre White, melted in and shaped. The second bead is with the frit on white, melted in, and held in the outer parts of the flame for a while - allowing the glass to spread if it's going to. Very few Reds will spread like this. Of course, these are done on a hothead so take that into account.

For other glasses that might do this, check out the frit charts in my sig.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2014-01-15, 7:27pm

Lea,

I make a small white bead, add random stripes of opaque red, then encase with more white. Get it very hot and only some of the red will come through.... Some red lines, some pinkish.... Works great....
Old 2014-01-15, 7:45pm
Master Procrastinator

thanks so much for the great tips! Now if only the weather would cooperate so can get out there & play!

Old 2014-01-26, 7:38pm
Heart of Flame

I made some for BOC and you can see them on my FB page if you scroll down.https://www.facebook.com/DarryleJadaa?ref=hl

I'm sure that I could have improved the iris more with some fancy silver or a bit of veining but the simple concept is sometimes the best. The bloodshot was simply encased red stringer very thin! And of course the bead needs to be as round as possible!

Old 2014-05-06, 6:46am
hyperT

No, but I did develope a flying flaming bloodshot eyeball once. It probably wont be developed any further.

Last edited by hyperT; 2014-05-06 at 6:49am.
Old 2014-07-16, 5:24pm

Default Free Text Tutorial for Bloodshot Eyeballs

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a free text tutorial for bloodshot glass eyeballs:

First start by creating a round from Effetre Pastel White (204).
A 20mm round CG Beadroller is perfect for this project!
Focus heat on the section of the round that will become the eye's iris (colored part of the eye).
Using a graphite marver, flatten the round slightly.
Heat a large pea size gather of Effetre Light Turquoise Blue (232).
Apply the blue glass to the flattened face of the eyeball.
Heat gently and flatten the blue gather to create a circle approximately 12mm in diameter.
Using a razor or sharp tool, score the iris in radiating cuts. The cuts will start at the center of the iris and radiate outward like the sun's rays.
Heat a 4mm gather of Effetre Transparent Black (064) and place the small gather in the center of the scored iris. Gently flatten the glass that will later become the pupil.
Using a gather of Effetre Clear, Encase the iris and pupil to form a lens. Gently heat and allow the lens to round over the front of the eyeball.
If you need to reshape the eye, gently give it a roll in the next larger size on the CG Beadroller.
Using 1mm stringers of Effetre Red (432), add small veins branching from the reverse or rear of the eyeball.
Gently heat until the red veins melt into the smooth surface.
Flamepolish.

Good Luck with your bloodshot eyeballs. They make a fun addition to a Halloween Apothecary!

All the best,
Heather
Old 2014-07-16, 7:33pm
It's all about the color.

Well done!

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2014-11-04, 10:08am

I just pulled thin stringers of red and transparent red and applied them sparingly to an ivory base bead - skittered it about a little bit with my tungsten pic and heated it to goop so the reds could sink a little, then use murrini to make the iris.

Tags
eyeball