Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-27, 11:50am
Ad astra per aspera

Default Is there a tutorial anywhere for a checkerboard murrini?

I've been working on simple murrini off & on for a while. I can do bullseyes and barnacles and simple lines & curves. But I've been looking at some antique beads with checkerboard patterns...squares!!!!...and I'm totally stumped in figuring out how they're made. Is it really as simple as "stacking" rods in a checkerboard pattern? How do round pieces go square? How do you control what seem like inevitable air bubbles?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-27, 11:54am
Happy Beadmaker!

Doesn't one of Cindy J's books have a section on simple murrine? You might ck there...

Meanwhile, I'll keep an eye out!

Best,
Lea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
Old 2008-10-27, 12:39pm
No Problem!

Search around for info on pattern bars. If you go the bullseye route and use flat glass you can make some super crisp and complex ones. Tack fuse and pull in the flame.
Or with some careful construction and attention to the heat base, build them square by square with rod in the flame.
Square out the first rod. Apply the next, true it up again to form a rectangle and repeat for the first row, then move on to the second, third etc. You just need to keep the previous layers stiff enough to hold the edges while you apply each new "square".
Easy right?

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-10-27, 1:36pm
I speak Murrini!

Are you going to be working in 104? If so, maybe choosing some of the stiffer colors would be best - until you get a feel. Of course, the probable combo of black and white hold their own integral complexities - white has to be one of the most "soupy" colors ever; and of course, coupled with black, it just wants to bleed! If you're using black, try Hades...it's the bestest BLACK GLASS EVER!

I have a couple suggestions:

1. Map out, on a scrap of paper, the layout of how you want to "stack/layer" your glass. Below is an example of how I did my Skull murrini. I'd had terrible trouble with it until I did the "simplification" of this mapping. Using "circles" drawn on the outline of your image (representing the stacking/striping of rods), this will help you decide, layer by layer, how to "stack" your colors:

As you can see here, I started with a gather of white, which I shaped into the half-round upper portion of the Skull. Flipping it over and working layer by layer, I built the remainder of the image - and you should use clear to "fill in" where there is no image to help hold your variably-sized shapes (such as where the upper jaw tapers on my Skull).

2. Consider getting some sturdy punties - I had difficulty with boro punties, so I bought some of Noodlesaurus' steel punties. They are amazing and stable for larger gathers. Here's a link in case you're interested:

http://www.noodlesaurus.com/catalog....Fcategory%3D17

Here's my resulting murrini, along with the "test" micro marble I made, quick-quick, just to see how it looked:

3. If you have a steel spatula, this will help to "square up" your flat edges of the squares in the checkerboard, color by color.

Good luck with it! Hope this helps encourage you to give it a try! It may take a couple runs, but I'm sure you'll get it!
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2008-10-27 at 1:45pm.
Old 2008-10-27, 2:09pm

Deanne... thanks so much for your info.

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2008-10-27, 2:37pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

Corina has the second half of her checkerboard murrini on her website in video..

http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/web-video.php

There is a picture of it and link nearly down at the bottom of the page
Old 2008-10-27, 2:37pm
Ad astra per aspera

Thanks Beau & Deanne! Yanno what's really funny? No matter what "hobby" I end up getting involved with, I seem to end up needing graph paper at some point. Weird!

Old 2016-04-04, 7:25pm

Default Checkerboard murrini

Trying to find how to for this. Link is now longer valid.
Thank you.
Old 2016-04-04, 8:53pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0QTnlrqfBE