Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Which one would you use?
Harbor Freight 7 43.75%
Hobby Lobby 1 6.25%
Other (please explain below) 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-03-19, 5:51am
Detail G-Mama!

Default Tumblers?

Which one is better? Harbor Freight or Hobby Lobby?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-03-19, 6:21am

I bought a Lortone last Fall, as per wisdom from members here. They are touted to be very sturdy as opposed to the harbor freight ones, which did not get great reviews. It was not all that expensive, under 100.00, though they have much higher priced models. I did a load of Lake Superior agates with it, they take 7 weeks....it runs like a champ.
Old 2011-03-19, 6:25am

I also have a Lortone tumbler. It was around $80. I've been very happy with it.

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Douglas Adams
Old 2011-03-19, 6:32am

Lortone all the way.
Joan
Old 2011-03-19, 8:45am
I'm a lilac!

I'd get a Lortone as well. I have the Harbor Freight one and, as has happened with many other people I know, the belt broke after just a few loads. The money you save on the initial purchase is not worth the hassle or expense of replacing the belts all the time.

I've been using an el-cheapo child's toy tumbler for almost eight years:

http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Electro...0549414&sr=8-4

but it's really really noisy and some people report that the newer ones break.

Old 2011-03-19, 8:48am

I will get a Lortone when my Harbour Freight ones die. I have a single and double barrel. They have been doing fine for about 5 years. I buy belts at the vacuum cleaner store and they are cheap-but break. I found if I take the cover over the motor off the heat does not build up so much and the belts last much longer. But if I had the $.....
Old 2011-03-19, 10:15am
Ad astra per aspera

We have a Harbor Freight one with 3 extra barrels. Per several warnings, we splurged and bought a dozen extra belts immediately. I think we're on the 4th or 5th one now, after 3 years. We tumble beads, rocks, chain maille, and handmade headpins and so far it's been a pretty good deal, with some occasional fiddling.

Old 2011-03-19, 12:07pm
I'm a lilac!

If you already have a Harbor Freight one there's no benefit in replacing it... but IMO for the $15 difference in price, you're better off buying the Lortone, if it's your initial rock tumbler purchase. http://www.hobbywarehouse.com/lorton...FQEKbAodqyUN-w

Old 2011-03-19, 12:16pm
Linda

I recommend Lortone. It has been used in the rock hobby for years and gets good ratings.

Linda
Old 2011-03-21, 1:52pm

30 year old Lortone used nearly every day. 15 year old Lortone used weekly. Tried the Harbor Freight tumbler and gave it away.

Ginko Beads
Old 2013-09-30, 2:08pm

As was mentioned if you go with the HF one make sure you buy extra belts. It's well worth the extra few dollars for the Lortone.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-09-30, 4:43pm

I think my next one will be a gy-roc its a vibratory tumbler and the larger models have an optionial attachment for cutting cabs.
They are a bunch larger and a lot more expensive.

Old 2013-09-30, 5:47pm
Alaska Boro

Like the vibrating Ultra Vibe 18 as it makes short work of turning boro into faux sea glass.

http://www.therockshed.com/tumbler3.html
Old 2013-09-30, 6:00pm
Etched Metal Rocks...

Another Lortone fan. You just missed a great bulk buy on them!