No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-15, 1:43am
professional gimme fiver

Default To Rod Warm or Not To Rod Warm?

I've been coming really close to buying some Devardi glass recently, the colors look beautiful. However, what's the story with the need for a rod warmer? They're reasonable enough in price ($44 from Devardi) but I'm wondering if they're really necessary. I find CiM rods to be shocky and so I baby them when introducing them to the flame. Wouldn't that be enough for Devardi rods, too?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-15, 1:57am
Run Free Sweet Boy

you could probably sneak by... but if you have the warmer , your work goes so much faster. and a lot of the devardi rods are fat

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-03-15, 6:44am

You can use a curling iron heater from a beauty supply store as a rod heater. From what I hear these tend to be more reliable - mine is over 5 years old and still going strong. It's really good for large diameter rods and shocky colors. Plus you get the instant gratification of having it in hand when you buy it instead of waiting and paying for shipping.

Robert
Old 2012-03-15, 8:24am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

I have a curling iron heater (or oven) from Sally Beauty Supply which I use to preheat cranky glass rods like Devardi. I also like to preheat other glass rods because I can just jam the rod ends into the flame. The interior of these little ovens gets to 850 degrees. Just be mindful of where you set it--it throws off a lot of heat.

If I couldn't preheat Devardi glass, I wouldn't use Devardi. Devardi rods are a whole different ball game given their typical large diameter and air bubbles. I don't have the patience needed to slowly heat the rods in the flame.

When I'm done with a Devardi rod or if I've fused two shorts together, I usually set it on top of my kiln to allow it to cool relatively slowly so that spider web cracks and such don't form. Devardi just hates big temperature swings in either direction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-03-15, 8:27am

I would strongly suggest you only order a little bit of Devardi glass to try.

I made the mistake of ordering quite a bit my first time. Now it is sitting in a box on the floor. Some people don't mind working with it, but I hate it. I don't have a lot of CIM, but I have never had a rod of theirs even come close to being as shocky as Devardi.

Old 2012-03-15, 8:55am

I have some Devardi. I do have a warmer from Sally's too. The problem is, even if it's preheated, once you get to the colder part it usually shocks off anyway. I pull down certain colors that I really like of Devardi to 2 to 3 mm, and use it as I would commercial stringer. The rods are too fat for me. I really like the burgundy and the metallic and dense black.

Old 2012-03-15, 9:48am

Interesting solution, Cynthia! I sure like the prices and some of the colors are really fab. There's been so much complaining about the shocking I hadn't even considered trying it until I read your comment.

Thanks!
Old 2012-03-15, 10:03am

Your welcome Betsy. They do have some really nice colors.

Old 2012-03-15, 10:43am
Master Procrastinator

I do the same Cynthia. & it's exactly as you say, even warming (I warm mine on top of my kiln), they still shock.

Alexis, I've been thinking of selling off my stash if you're interested, at below cost.

Old 2012-03-15, 3:03pm
Naysayer

Yeah when people say it's shocky, they're thick rods so X that to the diameter of CIM. But it's more shocky than CIM I think, it's more like big sections of glass and the tiny bits too.

I bought a couple rods to try, I put mine on top of the kiln but it's still 'splosion city. So then I stuck it in the punty door, still did it.

I'm going to try to do as Cynthia said, pull them thinner..if they don't kill me first. I really like some of the colors.
Old 2012-03-15, 3:11pm

I bought a selection of Devardi and used it once or twice before giving up due to shocky rods. I found that the price was not a bargain when I lost so much of each rod because of shocking. I tried a rod heater but agree that once the rod cools the problems return. I do love some of the colors and have pulled stringers. Also, if you ever work in a group studio setting be careful because the shards fly when you try heating the glass directly. I have bought other none glass items from Devardi.
Old 2012-03-15, 3:12pm

It really does work well. It's just time you have to put into doing it. I sometimes do it on those down times when I don't want to make beads or if I only have an hour or so and I don't want to turn my kiln on.

Old 2012-03-15, 4:00pm
Ad astra per aspera

I was hooked on opalino and alabaster colors years before Devardi arrived, and they can be finicky, too. When I set up my current studio I positioned my kiln to the right of my workbench so I can put warm beads away quickly AND preheat fussy colors and murrini. I have an 18x13 kiln from Arrow Springs, with two doors, so one side is for new beads and the other side is for the preheating. It keeps the flow going on busy days very nicely.

Old 2012-03-15, 5:12pm

My DIL ordered the hothead and rods from Devardi's. I had never worked with Devardi Rods and had not seen the article on their shocky rods. When I saw what hers looked like I was astonished at what they had sent her! Especially for a beginning lampworker. We took pics and emailed them to Devardis and their comment back was that it didn't matter the shape or the content of the rods as glass was glass and it all burned the same! I ended up giving her some of my rods in exchange for hers. I brought them back home thinking that maybe I could coax them but NOT even!!! I have never been so dissapointed with these rods AND the company!!! You would think that they would stand behind their product! NOPE they don't! Won't work with them ever again even if it is the last place I could go! Would rather do without! BTW I even tried to pre-heat them- still nada!

LynieG
Old 2012-03-15, 5:19pm

Wow Lynie. That is surprising. I have had good customer service from them. The rods are wonky and uneven and some huge. Not for a beginner for sure. Like I said, I won't use them unless I pull them down and that is time consuming. I only do it for certain favorite colors.

Old 2012-03-15, 5:21pm
honorary bead lady

Stick the end in the kiln!
Old 2012-03-15, 5:38pm

Ditto to David, why by a rod warmer when you have a kiln. I preheat rods in my kiln, works great (I do have a bead door with fiber blanket though).

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2012-03-15, 6:35pm

HA! I tried top of kiln, end in kiln, hot plate, haven't tried the rod warmer as I don't have one - figured kiln should warm enough. Maybe I will try them again and pull them like Cynthia said. (If I can even get a blob to pull that is LOL - I will just have to work vely vely slowly!)

LynieG
Old 2012-03-15, 6:45pm

You will be able to pull them. The preheating does not work for me either no matter what method I use. I have a warmer and it's fine until you get to the cold part, and then it cracks off.

Old 2012-03-15, 7:54pm

Cool Cynthia! Sometime when I get brave enough to tackle the first shrapnel pieces I will give it a try!

LynieG
Old 2012-03-16, 1:41am
professional gimme fiver

I think I'll pass on the Devardi. Thanks for all the info everyone!