LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-08-19, 1:50pm

Default Torching outside?

Sorry if this has been asked already but I wasn't having any luck with the search function..

How feasible is it to torch outside with a larger torch, like a Beth Bravo? (I've only heard of people doing it with a hothead.) I know there can/will be issues with insurance/landlords, as well as weather, but are there any other drawbacks or considerations?

Thanks!

"Good judgment comes from experience.. Which, unfortunately, comes from bad judgment."

“Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.”
Old 2013-08-19, 4:56pm
Slogan Challenged...

Wink

I torch outside with an alpha, the centerfire for the Bravo. It is entirely feasible, although it depends upon your weather. If your landlord is cool, go for it!

Pros:
Easy ventilation, and therefore cheaper (although some folks use a fan, depends upon what you mean by outside. Semi-enclosed will need some sort of fan).
Less anxiety about propane, don't have to run a line in or hide it from your neighbors/landlord, who would probably freak. Make that, WILL freak.
Safer flooring for hot bits, no carpet to catch on fire.
You won't track glass as easily around the house.
Don't need to take up a dedicated room or workspace. (and cover the flooring and put in venting, etc.)
It can help support organized work habits.
Can be VERY pleasant - if the weather is nice.

Cons:
Electric, unless you run a cable and are willing/able to keep the kiln outside somewhere, you are going to be batch annealing. Depends upon what kind of beads you make whether this is important for you.
Also, if using a concentrator, would need to set up close to a door or window where you can run the hose. You do not want to drag that sucker in and out daily, and temperature changes are not good for the machine.
Limited safe or secure storing for glass and tools.
Bugs.
Unpleasant/uncooperative weather can be miserable, but you would get the same heat or cold issues in the garage or basement. The wind is the kicker, it's not fun.
Debris blown in around your workspace.
Tools rust much more quickly.
Cleanup must be done more often. Keeps the landlord and neighbors happy too.
Lighting is not as good, even in the daytime. You need some shade or it is difficult to see the flame.

For me, the ventilation, propane and flooring issues are the most important. Comfort also, but the winters are usually mild here and I can torch at night during the summer.

Edited to add: I don't know if you just had specific questions about that torch, or about torching outside. HTH.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2013-08-19 at 4:59pm.
Old 2013-08-20, 1:17am

No, that was perfect, thank you! I pretty much have no choice but to torch outside right now because of my living situation, but I wanted to make sure I had a reasonably good chance of not killing myself in the process, lol. What you said about the oxycons was particularly helpful, I hadn't considered keeping them indoors and running the hoses out.

Thanks again!

"Good judgment comes from experience.. Which, unfortunately, comes from bad judgment."

“Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.”
Old 2013-08-20, 3:20am
kinda torching....

Oxycons really prefer cool dry areas. I only run mine with the ac on. I figure cold air is denser so purer oxy production. Humidity and moisture can ruin the sieve beds and probably other parts as well.

Good luck and Happy Torching!
Old 2013-08-20, 12:43pm

Good to know, thanks!

Old 2013-08-23, 7:32am
kiwi ( new zealand)

if u going to do a demo at even its better use a Small torch i did for 3 years at market this was my set up .

sorry photo on side it from my old iphone
Attached Images

Geoffery Bunker Glass artist
Live Stream

octarockstudio= octopuss sit on a rock studio