Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2019-03-16, 11:52am

Default Oxycon pressure problem

I have a DeVilbiss 515. The flow gauge is only reaching 1.5. Until now I've always been able to run it at the recommended 4 to 4.5. I disconnected the hose and have the same result. I opened up the machine and can't find any obvious hoses that aren't connected. Any suggestions for an easy fix? I'm not sure it's worth putting much money into fixing it and I don't know of a repair place near Naples, Florida.
Old 2019-03-16, 1:07pm

Air filter dirty?
http://www.devilbisshealthcare.com/f...ev_F-FINAL.pdf
Old 2019-03-16, 1:40pm

Unfortunately, no. That’s clean. The filter inside also looks clean.
Old 2019-03-16, 7:44pm
Phill

Did you check all the filters?

There is a foam sponge like thing typically on the out side, then a fine filter on the inside and often as well a bio filter just before the it goes out of the cabinet and that one can get clogged after years of use.

The bio filter keeps the machine from sending any bacteria to patients with respiratory illness but most of us lampworkers never think about that specific filter.

At least that is what I have seen on the machines I have worked on.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2019-03-16 at 7:46pm.
Old 2019-03-16, 7:56pm

Default Bio Filter

I was not aware of the bio filter. I will check that out. Thanks!
Old 2019-03-21, 6:09pm
Formally ZiggyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
Did you check all the filters?
SNIP:
At least that is what I have seen on the machines I have worked on.
Hey there, Since you've worked on oxycons perhaps you can help me with a question or two? I bought my oxycon in 2007. I think I used it for about a year and a half. After that it sat in climate controlled storage until now.

It works fine but the thing I'm concerned about is that there are two foam pieces I can see by opening the small door on the back of the oxycon (to access the round filter), and when I even gently touch the foam it disintegrates.

One piece of foam is on the back of the door so easy enough to remove but the other is glued to the platform that the round filter sits on top of and is attached to.

I'm concerned that if I try and remove the foam that is on the platform the particles will fall down inside the oxycon unless I somehow take that part out first.

There's also another type of foam along the insides of the case but it's made out of a different type of material and still seems to be ok. But I'm not sure if there are other pieces of foam like the two I mentioned inside but out of sight.

I'm mechanically inclined, do you think I could take it apart without too much trouble? I know this is a long shot, but do you have any other thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

It's an M15 Oxycon I bought from Mountain Glass Arts. I'm going to give them a call but don't have a lot of hope.

Thanks bunches!
Old 2019-03-21, 6:46pm

I had the same problem with the foam disintegrating. I pulled off what I could and it was a sticky, greasy mess. If you open your machine, make sure you cover your floor with a disposable cloth or paper. I inadvertently tracked some of the foam from my shoes onto my floor and carpet. Another mess to clean up. My (used) OxyCon has a strong smoke smell from the previous owner and I thought that may have been the cause of the foam disintegrating. I'll be sure and ask about that if I need to purchase a new one.

Unfortunately, my filters are fine and now I'm trying to find a place to bring my OxyCon in for repair.
Old 2019-03-21, 6:56pm

For a 5 lpm unit I think I'd look for a good one on craigslist.

There is a facebook public group about concentrators and compression systems: https://www.facebook.com/groups/concentrated/

I saw this link for factory repair manuals: http://www.frankshospitalworkshop.co...e_manuals.html

Last edited by Subduction; 2019-03-21 at 6:59pm.
Old 2019-03-21, 9:57pm
Formally ZiggyS

Subduction, Nice find on the OxyCon service manuals!

Beadit, I must apologize, I didn't mean to steal your thread, I wasn't thinking. Hm...But I do wonder, from what you said about the foam as the foam in mine turns into a fine powder that sort of beads up when I brush it off anything. But it's not greasy, or sticky. Which makes me wonder, why yours is and mine isn't.

Perhaps it is because of the smoker. I know that painting a room can be a pain after it's been occupied by a smoker because it leaves tar stains on the walls. Is there any kind of substance anywhere else inside your oxycon? Either way, I hope the service manual will help you figure out what's wrong or you can find a service shop. Please let us know what you find out.
Thanks!
ps: ps: By the way, I'm not that far from you, in St. Petersburg- about and hour and half away. St. Petersburg has a thriving glass scene but I'm not in the loop or I'd suggest who to call with questions regarding where you could get it repaired. Still, might be worth calling around? And if all else fails and you find a repair place here, maybe we can get together for a glass session.

Last edited by AngelaS; 2019-03-21 at 10:08pm.
Old 2019-03-23, 12:36am
Phill

These medical machines were designed to be overhauled about every three years and most of the ones we lampworkers get our hands on are multiples of that.

The hoses and the foam can get "stale," 'gummy" and or "brittle" after about five years and which one of those states has more to do with the chemistry of the foam material than anything else.

When I open one up I usually do it on a plastic garbage bag cut down two seams to give me a large target to collect any stuff that flakes off.

Mostly the foam that isn't actually part of a filter is just for sound absorption.

I understand that Salt City Glass has full replacement filter kits available, just tell them what machine you have.

Hoses can be replaced by the stuff you can get at the hardware store but you might want to gently take measurements before you touch the tubing as it can just about disintegrate on you when you try to take it off if it has any age on it at all.

I got just about all my details from the Franks Hospital Workshop website myself.

I have not ever "replaced or re-poured the zeolite" canisters myself but as long as you don't use it in really dusty and or humid environments they should last decades.
Foo folks that live in humid areas and torch outside I suggest running the oxycon inside an air conditioned space and runing the hose out the window or door.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2019-03-23 at 12:41am.
Old 2019-03-23, 1:36pm
Formally ZiggyS

Hey Phill, Thanks for your input. The old hoses disintegrating is very concerning.

Right now I'm working in a non-air conditioned garage in Florida of all places but I'm already thinking about bringing everything indoors which sounds like it would be best for my OxyCon since the garage is 1. dusty and 2. humid.But I live in 600 SF apartment so the garage gives me the needed extra SF.
Oh, well. It's always something!
One step at a time.
Angela
Old 2019-03-23, 7:35pm

Subduction—Thanks for your input and the links. I can’t find a local place for repair and wasn’t sure it was worth putting the money into this one.

Last edited by BeadIt; 2019-03-23 at 7:39pm. Reason: To address specific person.
Old 2019-03-23, 7:45pm

Angela S—no worries about thinking you stole the thread. The more information the better. I am a snowbird and my OxyCon only runs about six months and then it’s off for six months. I know that’s not recommended, but I don’t have an option. I’m getting ready to go back to Minnesota soon and I’ll check St. Pete for repair services when I return. If I head up that way I’ll contact you!
Old 2019-03-23, 8:16pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadIt View Post
I had the same problem with the foam disintegrating. I pulled off what I could and it was a sticky, greasy mess. If you open your machine, make sure you cover your floor with a disposable cloth or paper. I inadvertently tracked some of the foam from my shoes onto my floor and carpet. Another mess to clean up. My (used) OxyCon has a strong smoke smell from the previous owner and I thought that may have been the cause of the foam disintegrating. I'll be sure and ask about that if I need to purchase a new one.

Unfortunately, my filters are fine and now I'm trying to find a place to bring my OxyCon in for repair.
If you find a place that repairs them close by, let me know. I also have a Divilbiss 5lpm that has decided it doesn’t want to run anymore. Has less than 1000 hours on it. I’m just outside Ft. Myers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.