Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: bullseye or coe 104
stick with coe 104 74 55.64%
go with the bullseye 49 36.84%
get a job 10 7.52%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-07-31, 10:22am
NW Oregon

I think it depends on what type of beads you like to make. On one hand I love BE for plunged florals...it is stiffer, the petals stay crisp and the crystal clear is great for encasing. On the other hand, BE offers transparents or opal glass [not opaque]. The opals ARE opals....they are not opaque except for the one opaque white that is offered. I don't claim to have tried every color but in general this is a bummer for plunged florals because the opal colors get lost in the bead. In BE, I feel limited to white opaque flowers with transparents over them for variety. In fact, just yesterday I emailed Bonnie at BE about this very thing. Will BE ever make more opaque rods? I live 45 minutes away from BE. I would love to support USA/Oregon-made glass but I just don't like opals for what I make. I switch to it every once in a while for a change but wish I could use it for everything.
J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2007-02-18, 6:49pm

Is there any difference between Bullseye and Moretti when you use presses? So far I only use Moretti, but want to try Bullseye.
Old 2007-10-10, 10:22am
Perfectly Imperfect Beads

I say go with BE if that's what you love. Life is too short to play with expensive glass that you don't absolutely LOVE, right? (It's all expensive, just a matter of degree. This ain't a cheap hobby!) I still have my (sorta large) stash of Moretti but I almost always use BE or furnace glass (96). I like the reactive glasses that Moretti/Effetre offers, but otherwise I'm happy with the others.

I used Moretti for an embarrassingly long time before I discovered that the BE factory is literally 12 blocks from my house! If you happen to be in Portland next summer, they have an annual sale (I think it's in June) that is killer. I totally stocked up and am set for a LONG time now.

Of course, if you CAN keep both, that's the best.
Gwen
Old 2007-10-10, 7:51pm

I started with BE because I am a fuser and wanted to add lampworked items to my finished fused items. Have a huge stash of BE and mostly use that . But every class I took used Moretti, I fell in love with some of their colors so slowly started adding some fav. colors, EPD, opal yellow etc. so now have both. If you can only have one I'd go with the BE you love and slowly add fav. colors of Moretti when you can get in on a sale. But that's just me. Haven't had any cracking problems with BE except when I get so involved with decoration that I'm not remembering to flash. What type of kiln is the person using that 's having the cracking problem? Are you garaging at the annealing temp (for how long) or are you batch annealing? I garage at the annealing temp until I'm done torching, leave them all in another hour ( so the last ones get a good soak) and then gradually reduce temp. I know that's overkill but haven't had any problems ( you can't over anneal) I only torch long enough each day to fill the kiln up and then I switch to fusing in another kiln. Dicrodi
Old 2007-10-10, 8:42pm

I'll probably get flamed or just ignored but I think as beautiful as Bullseye is, it does not translate well in to complex designs. Too translucent for what i like to do.
Old 2007-10-22, 7:20am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie L View Post
I think you need to do both from the sounds of things. LOL
I think so too! I use all COE's, but I'm very careful to keep them apart! I label anything that isn't 104, because 104 is the majority of what I work with. So if there is a black or transparent amber rod laying around, it either has no label (Moretti) or has one that states BE or Uro (Uroboros).
Old 2007-10-23, 7:45am

i use all coe too, bulleseye im just using up now, likely wont rebuy. i like the softness of moretti for beads, and for sculpture either is fine. i find im so used to the way moretti works that i felt it was more boroish with stiffness and didnt care for it. will be trying 96 too one day.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-10-23, 6:30pm

Wow. I just wrote this same question to someone. Except I can't swing the stocking order so I wouldn't qualify for any discounts.

I like the Bullseye I've worked with. I'd like to hav the consistency. I even have space for both COEs but don't know a medium list of colors to buy to have a nice range. I'll have to read this thread carefully tomorrow. For now I won't actually vote but I'll pretend I voted, get a job. That's what my family tells me when I discuss types of glass with them.
Old 2007-10-26, 2:49am
First bead: 2007-04-28

I have mostly BE because that's what I started out with and that's the cheapest I can get here.
Then some VERY nice people from LE send me some 104 to play with... Now I have both!
I like the 104 for big holed beads and the BE for sculpturing and for attaching cz's.
If I had to choose??? I'd keep both the 104 AND the BE.

Ann
Old 2007-11-02, 6:02pm
Did someone say Oddlot?

I have both and find myself working with BE for several weeks then clean up my toys so to speak and bring out the 104 for something new!

Would be hard pressed if I had to choose. Both have so much going for them!
Old 2007-11-03, 5:44pm

I didn't vote because I have some BE, and like it well enougfh ( and hope to figure out the studio stocker thing at some point) Have a stash of the 104 italian glass, and like it well enough. And have a stash of boro, and think if one has to choose a *single* type of glass to buy it should be boro.
Old 2007-11-05, 9:24am

Wow. Tough question. I love them both!! I guess it depends on what I have for fire power. I couldn't work BE until I went to tanked oxygen and once I did I loved it!

If you are in the Northeast and need a quick fix you can find lots of BE on my website.
A lot of the odds from my studio are there and I have a pile of production colors not listed yet because of time contstraints. I've got some sample packs that I hope to get up tonight or tomorrow night.

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-12-20, 3:47pm

I haven't worked with anything but Moretti but I love it. I love how soft it is and the price is very affordable. I was looking at Bullseye yesterday from my supplier and it is very, very expensive. I couldn't afford to buy it just to try it. So because I don't have tons of money to burn I'd say Moretti.
Old 2007-12-21, 12:31pm

Advantages of BE: nice tho limited pallette, and you can make sculptures that can be fused to sheet and used in slumped and/or window applications. Stiffer, and stays crisp in your design. Encased flowers stay put. Disadvantages of BE: stiff and BRITTLE! I have the nastiest scar on my right index finger from a rod of BE white that snapped in my hands as I was make a twisted stringer. Bled all over, but I got the twist! I have had more BE rods break while working, but I have some 15+ years with Moretti, so maybe it's me?
Old 2007-12-21, 1:00pm
Entropy increasing....

I have some Bullseye sitting in my studio. It's been there for more than a year. I don't really like it. I also have Reichenbach, which I do use sometimes and Messy 96 and Kugler.

I just don't like Bullseye, it doesn't go with any other glass. It's much stiffer to work with. I don't like that either.
Old 2007-12-22, 3:24am
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by klcbeads View Post
I haven't worked with anything but Moretti but I love it. I love how soft it is and the price is very affordable. I was looking at Bullseye yesterday from my supplier and it is very, very expensive. I couldn't afford to buy it just to try it. So because I don't have tons of money to burn I'd say Moretti.
Some Moretti are expensive IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
Advantages of BE: nice tho limited pallette, and you can make sculptures that can be fused to sheet and used in slumped and/or window applications. Stiffer, and stays crisp in your design. Encased flowers stay put. Disadvantages of BE: stiff and BRITTLE! I have the nastiest scar on my right index finger from a rod of BE white that snapped in my hands as I was make a twisted stringer. Bled all over, but I got the twist! I have had more BE rods break while working, but I have some 15+ years with Moretti, so maybe it's me?
I never have any shocky BE. Moretti and Vetrofond Yes but never break any Be while working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
I have some Bullseye sitting in my studio. It's been there for more than a year. I don't really like it. I also have Reichenbach, which I do use sometimes and Messy 96 and Kugler.

I just don't like Bullseye, it doesn't go with any other glass. It's much stiffer to work with. I don't like that either.
Do you ever think to sell any of them, Kevan?

Old 2007-12-22, 3:47am
Entropy increasing....

I don't have alot of Bullseye, I have just have some samples of individual rods. I think it's about a lb of different colors.

If anyone wants it, PM me. We can work something out. If you just want to try some.
Old 2007-12-22, 4:55am
a pox upon an idiot :..

My favorite glass of all is Czeck, the transparents are to die for, denim and capri blue. The smokey amber browns...sigh The opaques are like working with honey and the colors are gorgeous.

I mix my Czeck with other 104 glass all the time and have never had a problem.

If anyone wants to sell their Czeck glass, let me know!