No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-04-12, 6:57pm

Default Turning the Mandrel in one direction

xx

Last edited by nancewbl; 2014-08-31 at 7:20am.
Old 2008-04-12, 7:27pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I spin both ways. Can't imagine it would affect stress. Being worried about going one way would be more stressful, and "I" might crack a bead that way...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-04-12, 7:27pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I personally turn it both ways..... If I roll it out to finger tips, I have to do a funny hand "switch" and move mandrel to start the rolling process again... If I just roll it back there is no funny stuff...

At this point glass is pretty near fluid, stress should not be a issue....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-04-12, 7:29pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I've heard going both ways IS "funny stuff". Personally, I don't care.

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-04-12, 7:44pm
Life is change. Love it

Yeah I go both ways

Old 2008-04-12, 7:48pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Heheheheh... I go both ways, too.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-04-12, 7:49pm

Both ways

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2008-04-12, 8:04pm
Ad astra per aspera

One more Karen who goes both ways. (Shhhh, don't tell DH! He'll want to watch! )

Old 2008-04-12, 8:08pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Why am I not surprised, Karen? Heheheheheh....

Also Available in

Old 2008-04-12, 8:24pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
Why am I not surprised, Karen? Heheheheheh....
Ummmmm

Old 2008-04-12, 8:27pm
Born Facing Left

Both ways, unless I'm rounding off a bead. Then I'll sometimes spin it one way, and yeah....I have to use both hands.

Then again, when's the last time anyone saw me make a round bead?

Old 2008-04-12, 8:30pm
make beads not war

I spin in both directions as well.
Old 2008-04-12, 8:49pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

I turn the mandrel in both directions also. Sometimes I even switch hands, but I'm not as good with my right hand - I can only go one direction with it. Just in case you were wondering.

--
--
--

Old 2008-04-12, 8:51pm
Entropy increasing....

Sometimes I do it sideways.
Old 2008-04-12, 9:19pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Sometimes I do it sideways.
LOL!!!

I remember way back a looong time ago the "old timers" on WC had a big whoop going in a thread about this subject. Some that were teachers really insisted that you had to turn the mandrel in just one direction, away from you. Personally, I think that's fine for the beginner's first try at the torch, but unrealistic after that!

I would never get a bead round and my 8hrs of torching would be more like 16 if believed in that crap. I also would have sprouted a lot more grey hairs than what's been coming in for the last two years too.

Hey, these same ol' folks were the ones who argued that "new beadmakers" should NOT be considering selling their work, even if the dang holes are dimpled and all that gobbledy gook. They actually despised new beadmakers and made us feel like idiots if we asked questions. When I say new, they were talking about those of us that had been torching less than a year. Jeez...does it matter how long you have been torching as long as they are good beads?? Not anymore it doesn't!

Sorry to veer off the subject, it's just that the post made me think of years gone by in my humble beginnings.

Last edited by Lisi; 2008-04-12 at 9:22pm.
Old 2008-04-12, 9:22pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

To be honest, there really is a scientific basis for which way the mandrel should be turned for best effect: Turn away from you when adding glass. Turn towards you when heating/melting glass on the mandrel.

Also Available in

Old 2008-04-12, 9:27pm
one day at a time

Quote:
To be honest, there really is a scientific basis for which way the mandrel should be turned for best effect: Turn away from you when adding glass. Turn towards you when heating/melting glass on the mandrel.
Yep, you're right. It really is the best way to get a good footprint too. That's what I teach people when I get them out there and they want to give it a try. Less "glass hair" all over too, because it's easier to see what you are doing right before you go back into the flame to burn off.
Old 2008-04-12, 9:58pm
Entropy increasing....

I turn it whichever way it needs turning to.
Old 2008-04-12, 10:37pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Both ways, Sideways, Towards me, Away from me, Upside
down...whatever it takes.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-04-13, 1:34am
First bead: 2007-04-28

Quote:
Well.... I have my torch "shooting" the flame at me, so I do it the other way around.... But I also spin both ways AND I change hands during the process.

Ann
Old 2008-04-13, 12:59pm

Both ways, AND I chew gum at the same time!

Vanessa
Old 2008-04-13, 1:07pm
Borovangelist

I always figured if you turn both ways and accidentally overheat the bead you run the risk of twisting the design, sort of a raking with air effect. My hands just get tired going in one direction, so I do both

|
|
Old 2008-04-13, 1:56pm
on hiatus...

When I teach beginners I encourage them to turn it one way for awhile.. turning it away from them. And that's just to help them learn control getting the glass wound on the mandrel.

but I go both ways...

Last edited by Steph'sBeadCorner; 2008-04-13 at 1:59pm.
Old 2008-04-13, 2:17pm
just plain silly

Upsidedown and sideways too

Suzanne
Old 2008-04-13, 2:57pm

Sheesh! We need another room on this forum. This may be beyond the bedroom, even. lol

Both ways here, too, and whatever else it takes.

Old 2008-04-14, 4:46am

I go both ways, too.
But I took a class by a very well-known bead artist just a couple weeks ago and she said that when you spin both ways, you end up only spinning about 3/4 turn, then 3/4 the other way, so the flame is missing an entire 1/4 of your bead.
This is actually a very simplified version of what she said and I may have the numbers wrong, but you get the point.
But I still swing, I mean go, both ways.
=)~

Last edited by truegem; 2008-04-14 at 4:53am.
Old 2008-04-14, 5:37am

I go towards and away, either hand or switch hands... and on top or underneath.

Sals
Old 2008-04-14, 6:06am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
I go both ways, too.
But I took a class by a very well-known bead artist just a couple weeks ago and she said that when you spin both ways, you end up only spinning about 3/4 turn, then 3/4 the other way, so the flame is missing an entire 1/4 of your bead.
This is actually a very simplified version of what she said and I may have the numbers wrong, but you get the point.
But I still swing, I mean go, both ways.
=)~
That'd be a REALLY BIG bead!! I checked that theory by twirling one of my larger beads (about 10mm) on a mandrel, and I see the same encased bubble 6 times away, and 6 times back...and I have teeny hands. That would mean a bead would have to be over 6 times bigger than one of my larger beads for the 3/4 rule to apply. I'm not discounting the truths spoken by the well-known bead maker, but it doesn't apply to me.

Old 2008-04-14, 9:09am
Glass-aholic

It is not necessary to spin in only one direction unless you are looking to spin the glass in only one direction to creat a spiral of sorts that you do not want to 'undo' the spiral effect. But this is only required when the bead is hot enough to move the glass.. so I guess even in this tecnique you COULD go both ways..

I go both ways... hehee... yep tink i feel dirty saying it!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-04-14, 8:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
That'd be a REALLY BIG bead!! I checked that theory by twirling one of my larger beads (about 10mm) on a mandrel, and I see the same encased bubble 6 times away, and 6 times back...and I have teeny hands. That would mean a bead would have to be over 6 times bigger than one of my larger beads for the 3/4 rule to apply. I'm not discounting the truths spoken by the well-known bead maker, but it doesn't apply to me.

I know, I kind of thought this when she was saying it. I was thinking that people can do "bigger" spins to accomodate this.
So I think we should all agree to go both ways, lol!