Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2009-05-22, 4:23pm
phrit phreak

Default Loren I & II Oct 2010 Omaha

Loren Stump will be in Omaha for Loren I and II

At The Hot Shops Art Center
1301 Nicholas St
Omaha NE

Contact Ed Fennel to sign up for classes
(402) 578-1081

Loren I Oct 6th - Oct 10th, 2010
Loren I (5 days)
This course will be divided into three parts: Murrini, Sculptural Techniques and Encasement. Murrini will result in a Franchini-style shaded face and your signature cane. You will start with color mixing and blending which will be used to make shaded colors for a face. Eyes, nose and mouth cane will by built in the flame and then pulled down to a smaller size for component parts to construct the final face. In a like manner, letter canes will be assembled to create signature canes. Sculptural Techniques will examine several different methods for achieving human body and animal sculptural forms. The techniques include cold assembly, hot sculpture, detail overlay, temperature control, tool use, drilling holes with hot tungsten pick, and the correct application of murrini. Encasement will produce a small floral paperweight. Floral setup techniques include using blended colors, ribbed cane and overlays as components for creating leaf stock, stems, buds, ball flowers, petals, and stamen. You will then assemble and arrange the floral components into a "setup" with a quick lesson in frit making to use as a background. A Stumpsucker will be used to vacuum encase a sculptural or floral setup in Schott crystal.

Oct 12th - 16th, 2010
Loren II - The Butterfly Class (5 days)
For people who have already taken Loren I or have extensive flameworking experience. The techniques covered are similar to the Loren I class but at a more difficult level. The Murrini portion of the class will concentrate on creating repetitive patterns which will be used to construct a butterfly. Murrini cold working techniques includes sawing and polishing Murrini chips to be included in the paperweight. Sculptural techniques will examine several different methods for achieving human body and animal sculptural forms that offer more challenges than the Loren I class. The techniques include cold assembly, hot sculpture, detail overlay, temperature control, tool use, drilling holes with hot tungsten pick, and the correct application of murrini. Encasement involves a larger amount of Schott crystal and several layers within the paperweight so the butterfly appears to be hovering over the floral setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-11, 5:08am
phrit phreak

This is where I'll be next year. Start saving your pennies!

Old 2010-03-31, 5:31am
phrit phreak

This would be a great way to spend your tax $$

Old 2010-05-11, 3:49am
phrit phreak

Loren II is filling up but there are still a few spots left.

Old 2010-07-10, 5:51pm
phrit phreak

Crap. I have to give up my seat for Loren I..........There's still spots available for both classes.

Old 2010-07-20, 3:52am
phrit phreak

4 spots left in Loren I and ONE spot left in Loren II

Old 2010-08-25, 4:04am
phrit phreak

Still openings in Loren's classes in Omaha. Hotels RIGHT across the street so you don't have to drive.
Contact Ed Fennel to sign up for classes
(402) 578-1081

Old 2010-08-28, 12:05am
I speak Murrini!

OMG! Loren I is just after my birthday! Hum...wondering, wondering...is it FREEZING in Omaha in October? Hey, I'm a California Girl...cold is tough on me!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-08-28, 4:54am
phrit phreak

OOO What a great bday gift for yourself! No Omaha isn't freezing in Oct. It's usually beautiful and cool.....leaves starting to change etc.....http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USNE0...?woeid=2465512
We do a lot of layer of clothes here in the midwest...lol cold in the morning, hot in the afternoon But you'll be where it's toasty......in the glassblowing studio, so the furnaces will keep you nice and toasty
Keep me posted! I'd love to meet you if you come!

Old 2010-08-28, 9:22pm
I speak Murrini!

Aw, Lori...thanks for the reply. I'm telling you...I'm completely enamored with the idea of someday taking this class! At this point, though...especially after just paying off my AmEx from our week in HI which we saved 2 years for, I'd kinda going to have to hit the Lottery to make this one. I mentioned it to hubby, and he gave me "that look" - you may know it - and it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. Nevertheless, I will continue to hope...and play Super Lotto every chance I get!

I've got my heart set on learning to make faces - good ones! I just can't stop looking at Loren's "Madonna..." murrini! I've got an idea of what I would like to someday try. I'm quite in love with the works of Giovanni Tiepolo; I found a book of some of his works on Amazon and have ordered it...it will give me something to stare at and dream about!

Does anyone know ('cuz I think I saw someone mention they luckily "acquired" one at one of Loren's classes) if he ever sells any of the slices from "Madonna of the Rocks"? Wow, that would be a spectacular addition to anyone's collection!

I would love to meet you too, Lori! Send good "Lottery" vibes my way please!

Old 2010-08-28, 10:15pm
Whooooo, me?

Here is one for sale, DeAnne.
http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=2172

Beth
Old 2010-08-29, 4:20am
phrit phreak

12K? wow. I wonder what my little sheep murrinni is worth he did? lol
DeAnne I completely understand "the look" I got it last weekend......lol
If you want to learn faces deff take Lorens class.....He's been to Omaha 2x before this and taught Loren I and I'm always surprised on how well everyone's face murrini turns out and then how well their applying it turns out!!!
Someday!

Old 2010-08-29, 11:38am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildatHeart View Post
Thanks Lori and Beth...and oh, dear - not that it isn't totally WORTH IT - but I'm afraid that's yet another reason to chant "COME ON LOTTO!!!".

Back to dreaming...

Hugs, ladies!

Old 2010-10-05, 4:04am
phrit phreak

Still a couple of seats left! Hurry up! Loren I Starts tom!