Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-30, 8:16am
jamieincharlotte

Default Diamond Clear Still Cracking

I just got some Diamond Clear and after reading posts have come to the conclusion that it's the DC that's the culprit. I've never had a bead to crack and all of a sudden my DH beads are cracking a couple of days after coming out of the kiln. I even silver cored one and I found it on it's side in my bead box and it had sadly split slap in half. Uggggg, a waisted piece of sterling sliver tubing and it was a good bead too. I hate that. I got it in Sept. from Mountain Glass and I'm waiting to hear from them about it. Just a heads up.

I have Aether but it gives DH a yellow haze....do you guys like the Effetre006
the best? Seems so since I've checked alot of listings. I need to order something since I like to encase the DH. I'm trying to be calm.

j
Old 2010-10-30, 8:27am
Live and Let Live

The latest batch of E/M-006 has been very nice, and it's 50% off at Frantz right now.
There's also a sale on Clarity (Elvis) in the Sales forum, but for 5x the price of E/M-006, I'm not willing to test it at this point. Others have written good things about it though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tweedle Dumb

There are a few others reporting the same problems, again. Judith was one of them. Precision has said that they will not be offering a refund on it this time. It really sucks that they won't stand behind their product that obviously has issues.

I use the Effetre Super Clear. I have never had a problem with it. There was some Striking Color glass that it didn't like, but that was because of the expansion of the SC, not the ESC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Formerly FishBulb

First of all, I would contact your supplier immediately and let them know you're having this problem. Precision has been good in dealing with this and you may be able to exchange your batch of cracking clear.

I like Effetre Crystal Clear myself, so long as you're careful to work it in a low oxidizing flame and work it slowly. Also, Reichenbach Crystal is wonderful but it's quite stiff. ABR has an ad in the Sale Rack for Elvis Clarity which is a clear put out by TAG (I think!).

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-10-30, 8:28am
Formerly FishBulb

Oooops, when I was typing I was the only one replying. Then I hit Post and see that we were all saying the same thing!

Jamie Lynne, that's terrible that Precision isn't standing behind the clear any more.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-10-30, 8:31am
jamieincharlotte

Maybe Mountain Glass will let me exchange it. They are really nice guys to work with since I got my Kiln from them. Hopefully they will. They sell lot of lampworking stuff and seem to be very easy to work with. I did send them an email last night. Will post their reply.
Old 2010-10-30, 10:21am
Tweedle Dumb

I hope they do, but it sounds like Precision, themselves, won't be taking returns.

Old 2010-10-30, 11:38am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
There are a few others reporting the same problems, again. Judith was one of them. Precision has said that they will not be offering a refund on it this time. It really sucks that they won't stand behind their product that obviously has issues.
I decided last year to stop buying ANY Precision glass. I guess I made the right decision. I use DH 80% of the time and TAG fills in the rest so I don't miss it anyway.

Old 2010-10-30, 11:43am
><>

Sounds like Precision is not very precise in regard to COE.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2010-10-30, 2:41pm
Tweedle Dumb

I've only used their color rod... never their clear. But after that first thread I became weary of the whole line, then the second thread really put me off... now with this, I'm really not going to touch the stuff anymore. I'll use what I have and never buy again. Not worth the risk.

Old 2010-10-30, 4:01pm
jamieincharlotte

Well, never heard from Mountain Glass today. I think they are closed on Saturdays but you can believe I'll be waiting to hear from them on Monday. I will never buy from Precision either. They are making a bad name for themselves. I have some M 004-10mm
rods I had but didn't use because the were soooo fat. So today I used one and sure enough I remembered why I didn't like it. It cracked and spit and pops when I try to heat it up. I do heat it slowly and eventually did use it but I don't like it. I got a rod warmer from, mmmmm, can't remember. I'll fire it up and see if it helps. I actually got it for the winter because I am in my garage and it's freezing in there. Was a little cool today but not that cold. I really do love the DH Aether but can't use it on any of their glasses. The yellow thing happends. But I guess I can use it on regular glass???? It melts like buttah..... If you ever hear of something great, please let me know.
Appreciate all of the comments.
j
Old 2010-10-30, 4:12pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I love reich crystal over silver but as others have mentioned it is rather stiff.

Old 2010-10-30, 6:46pm
Lampworkaholic!

Reichenbach Soft Clear Crystal is nice, you have to work it on the cool side. It's such a shame about Precision because original Diamond Clear was so awesome and I love Rembrandt. I have not been happy with Effetre clear. I just got some Clarity and am keeping my fingers crossed that I like it.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-10-30, 7:05pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The Effetre Super Clear out now is every bit as nice as DC used to be, imo.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-10-31, 6:33am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
The Effetre Super Clear out now is every bit as nice as DC used to be, imo.
Then I am going to have to give it a try. Thanks!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-10-31, 6:47am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I got some TAG clarity & LOVE it!!! It melts so good & is so clear

Vivian

-

Old 2010-10-31, 8:41am
Tacki

Reenie has thin diameter rods of the Reich clear. I use that when I don't want the yellowing from aether.
Old 2010-10-31, 9:43am

Effetre super clear and never have a problem again. That is all I use.

Old 2010-10-31, 11:46am
maybe tomorrow

Aether is still my favorite clear, but since I can't use it for everything (expense plus color change on some silver glass), I have been using a lot of the Reichenbach clear (not the soft).

We used some Super Clear in Anastasia's class at AS last month, and I was surprised at how good it was as I hadn't used an Effetre clear for years. I've since ordered a bunch more and am waiting for it to arrive.

Old 2010-10-31, 12:40pm
da General

I am with Toni - Aether is the best ever made, imho, but for the when I want a non-reactive clear for reducing silver glass, I have switched from Diamond Clear to Effetre Super Clear. It's the best non-reactive clear at the moment!

"Best" is based on my experience AND the fact that it's $10/pound.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-10-31, 1:38pm

I've been using some the latest Precision Clear that I bought from Mountain Glass and I've had no problems. HOWEVER, given the massive amount of money that I wasted on the nasty stuff (because I was hoarding it in large quantities....sheesh), I don't dare take any more risks! I LOVE Precision Clear, but...ometimes you just have to say..."no mas" (translation: "no more." Sad... : - ((((((((

Old 2010-10-31, 2:06pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

I bought from the latest Diamond Clear from ABR, and as was already mentioned further up in the thread, I had terrible problems. Even just using it with normal Effetre, it cracked majorly.
And yes, ABR told me that there would be no refund this time around. Thanks

I'm using now Effetre Super Clear (the current batch is great!) and Aether.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-10-31, 2:08pm
phrit phreak

I have some of the newest batch of DC and have been encasing clio w/ it w/ no problems at all............

Old 2010-10-31, 4:00pm

Oh man....what the heck is up???? Is it THAT unpredictable. Like I said earlier, I've been using some from the latest batch with no problems, but hearing that other's are experiencing some cracking makes me nervous.

Old 2010-10-31, 4:20pm
Storm Queen

I'd like to know how people know that they have the "newest" batch. It may be new to you but it may not be the same "new" batch as someone elses "new" batch. Mine never came dated like the DH glass and that would be the only way to compare batches.

Old 2010-10-31, 4:27pm

good question
Old 2010-10-31, 4:31pm

Damn good question! I was "told" it was a new batch.

Old 2010-10-31, 4:43pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
Damn good question! I was "told" it was a new batch.
It may be the newest batch that Mountain Glass has gotten but it may not be the same new batch that say...Frantz has. That's the problem when the glass isn't batch dated.

Old 2010-10-31, 5:51pm

I've taken to adding the supplier and the purchase date to my labels ... not perfect rocket science but it helps somewhat as a general identification. To receive batch lot dates from the supplier (as DH does) would be even better!

On Hayley's recommendation I'm going for the Effetre Super Clear current batch!

Old 2010-11-01, 3:11am
phrit phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I'd like to know how people know that they have the "newest" batch. It may be new to you but it may not be the same "new" batch as someone elses "new" batch. Mine never came dated like the DH glass and that would be the only way to compare batches.
Well, when your 'told' it's new you tend to believe them. I did not get mine from Mountain Glass tho.
I've been using reg. moretti clear for my 'everyday' encasing since I took Andrea's class last year. It does just fine and the price is right.