LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2011-07-28, 3:38am
Goddess

Default Torch Overheating

Hi, I have a Carlisle Mini CC which I have had for about 5 years now. I have noticed over the past several months that the torch tends to overheat after about 1/2 hour of operation. It didn't used to happen every torch session, but now it is happening quite frequently. The torch is so hot that the knobs are nearly too hot to touch and the top of my workbench where the torch sits also gets super hot and I have worried that it might actually start burning even though it is heat resistant.

I am using a 2 year old 10L Regalia oxy-con which I keep set at about 9L. I use soft glass. I don't often reduce the flame size, for instance when doing stringer work, I just let it run with a normal sized flame.
Anyone have any idea why this torch is getting so hot and what I can do about it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-07-28, 6:59am

when we do classes in Omaha, all the torches are Carlisles, the knobs get SO HOT. I don't like them for that reason. However, they are OK to work on.

Old 2011-07-28, 7:26am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderCreek View Post
Hi, I have a Carlisle Mini CC which I have had for about 5 years now. I have noticed over the past several months that the torch tends to overheat after about 1/2 hour of operation. It didn't used to happen every torch session, but now it is happening quite frequently. The torch is so hot that the knobs are nearly too hot to touch and the top of my workbench where the torch sits also gets super hot and I have worried that it might actually start burning even though it is heat resistant.

I am using a 2 year old 10L Regalia oxy-con which I keep set at about 9L. I use soft glass. I don't often reduce the flame size, for instance when doing stringer work, I just let it run with a normal sized flame.
Anyone have any idea why this torch is getting so hot and what I can do about it?
Check you oxygen and fuel setup it may be over time the pressures have crept down and you do not have enough "flame standoff" (miniscule area between flame base and torch face) to keep some of the heat from transferring to torch face....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-07-28, 7:40am
Goddess

Dale how would I check that? I'm not sure what I should check.

Old 2011-07-28, 10:12am

This thread may be helpful.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=199875
Old 2011-07-28, 11:53am
Goddess

Thank you Larry, that was a very helpful thread.

Old 2011-07-28, 12:37pm

From what i know this is not unusual for these torches. They can run hot but you can optimize it by knowing how to best adjust them.
Old 2011-07-28, 10:28pm
Goddess

So it seems, just my luck, I knew I should have bought a Lynx! Well, today I'll fiddle around with stuff and see if anything helps.

Old 2011-07-29, 9:00am

You know I love my Mirage but I honestly think that the indian is more important than the arrow. How much erosion does your torch face have? Maybe a bit of refurb and cleaning might help.
Old 2011-07-31, 4:15pm

When I was on a mini I went to home depot and got copper tubeing and fiting to hook it on a hose then put a few turns behind the head and just keeped a drip of water going through it.
worked great.
G.
Old 2011-07-31, 4:42pm
Bad Cat Glass

I have a mini CC and have the same problem. The knobs get very hot even though I have a M15/8 lpm oxycon. I have tried adjusting it, but even with a very large flame and candles that are at least 3/8 of an inch, the knobs still get very hot. I'm disappointed because I bought it with the idea that it would be great sculptural and stringer work because of the ambient heat, but the flame is really pretty large for the size stuff I do. I might have to go back to my Bobcat, especially in the summer.
Old 2011-08-01, 1:00am
Goddess

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions. I have tried working with a larger flame and that does keep the torch cool. I bought a new regulator because my husband wasn't sure that my old one was very accurate any more. I haven't put it on yet though so the difference in temp is definitely from cranking everything up. I'm not really happy with this solution, but it does work!

Old 2011-08-02, 9:07am

I have an older mini cc that I don't have any problems with at all. I actually sold the lynx I had and got the mini instead and imho it works much better for what I do with it.
You might try to call Carlisle and tell them your problem. Their customer service second to none.