LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-04-20, 5:09pm

Talking I have DIMPLES!!!

Finally...six nice shaped beads in a row with DIMPLED ends! Just had to share this with folks who have a clue and won't think I'm nuts

Now to try getting twisties that don't warp...sigh.
Old 2006-04-20, 7:06pm
Embracing My Wonkiness

Yay for dimples!

Lil
Old 2006-04-20, 8:09pm
Is it May yet?

dimples can be soo sexy!! And they look good on beads, too. I still have trouble with getting nice dimples every time...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-20, 8:49pm

I'm jealous. Any idea how you did it?? Thought i was getting them down but i started using stained glass and since then no dimples??? I'm so discouraged because not only did i lose my dimples but i am back to having lopsided and oval beads (?) vs. round or donut shaped. What gives?
Old 2006-04-20, 9:35pm
Glassy Lady

PICTURES! We want to see pictures!

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-04-21, 8:35am
Where Am I?

You've got to have the dimples.

Some days you're the dog.
Other days you're the hydrant

phyliss
Old 2006-04-21, 1:49pm
San Diego Toni

Yes yes...show us!
We love dimples!

toni
Old 2006-04-21, 8:19pm

As soon as DH gets his new digi camera I'll post some pics.
Old 2006-05-02, 5:07pm

Default Dimpled Bead Pics (Bad Pic Warning!)

Still no camera (decisions, decisions ) so I decided to try and take them with our old HP digital (no zoom, no close-up macro) --- be warned, they're blurry.

The image of two beads are raku 108 on dark ivory and plum frit on amber.
Four bead image - same two as above, plus amethyst on plum silver and iris gold on opal white. So proud of the bead in the next two images - almost a perfect sphere with dimples! Lavendar base with plum frit, encased in bright blue. Can't wait to get a good camera

Old 2006-05-02, 8:15pm
Glassy Lady

I see what you mean by the camera, but I can clearly see the dimples! Good job!

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-05-03, 10:29am
PyronamixK

I can see those beautiful dimples, too! Keep it up!
Old 2006-05-04, 12:31pm
Insane? You're Insane!

Do tell, how on earth do you go about attempting to get a dimple, let alone two on the same bead?
Old 2006-05-04, 5:20pm

LOL! I think the first one was by accident!

For awhile I would get a dimple on one side, but not both. Then I finally figured out that I wasn't holding the mandrel quite even and also trying to compensate by adding more glass to the mandrel next to the holes (creating longer and longer footprints) instead of to the center. As for the sphere, the encasing made it almost a *perfect* round (as opposed to a donut round.)
Old 2006-05-04, 7:25pm
Insane? You're Insane!

so, is just by holding the mandrel level and spinning? I'm not quite sure what the difference is between donut round and perfect.
Old 2006-05-09, 7:51pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbryant1
I'm not quite sure what the difference is between donut round and perfect.
Hi Amber -- if you look at the four bead pic, you can see that the first bead (top left) is "flatter" than the second bead (top right) but neither are quite round like a marble. Though different in height and round when viewed from the top, I would consider these "donut" shaped. The individual bead at the bottom has an equivalent height to circumfrence (sp?) ratio - a "perfect round" like a marble.

Does this explanation make sense or did I just cause more confusion?
Old 2006-05-09, 11:39pm
Insane? You're Insane!

It makes sense to me! Thank you!!!!
Old 2006-05-11, 7:13am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

I have dimples too! but thier mostly in my butt!!! alas, sigh
awesome dimples!
xo L

~~
~~