Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-04-15, 10:54am
Satake Woman!

Default I need a cold neck

Yep, that is right. Things are starting to heat up here, and my DH can't take much heat since he has MS. So I am looking for ways to keep him cool (well and me too!). I have heard of cold packs for your neck, but I was wondering what all you people use to stay cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-04-15, 12:26pm
Satake Woman!

Well thank for letting me know I hadn't imagined them! I went looking online, and found that lots of the systems work on evaporation, which in the south isn't so good. I did find one site that has phase change coolers that are good for 3 hours. I've ordered some and will let you all know how they work.
http://www.polarsoftice.com/bodycoolingphase.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-04-15, 7:20pm

I thought you were just making a fashion statement at the demo Kimberly. I will have to get one as well as my studio is already starting to heat up here in Austin.

Eric
Old 2006-04-15, 7:23pm
Cheerfully Profane

I need the air conditioner! Vandy's a cheap ass with the AC for some reason. New car? Okay. New house? Okay. New shoes? Sure, honey. AC? It's not time.

WTF????

Jo, when we go to the meeting next week, we're riding with the damned AC on.

I live in hell and my upstairs is like a fucking sauna.

Tell your hubby that I feel his pain. The hot part, that is.

Bek
Old 2006-04-15, 8:16pm
Embracing My Wonkiness

Jo, my husband and son work outside all summer and they use these dealies called Aqua Cool body coolers. They're neck scarves made of bandana print material filled with some sort of little super-absorbent pellets.

You just soak them in water for a few minutes. After they're totally soaked you can pat the excess water off with a towel then tie the bandana around your neck. It doesn't feel soggy it just feels cool.

You can soak them and then put them in a tupperware container and store in the fridge to get them really cold if you like. But you're not supposed to freeze them.

He found them at a 7-11 type store but I'm sure they must have them at department stores as well.

I didn't do much of a search for them but this place carries them ...http://www.trinitysafety.com/Body%20...aters%202.html

Lil
Old 2006-04-16, 6:28am

Jo -

DH and I used to be involved in hot air ballooning and we used something similar to what Lil mentioned except they were filled with some kind of polymer. You could refrigerate/freeze them, dunk them in cold water, or even just hold them if front of an air conditioner for bit....they were life savers! I'm not sure if this is exactly the same kind we used, but this looks close.

Old 2006-04-16, 7:10am
Certified Glassaholic!

I made a bunch of the cooling scarves for myself It cost virtually nothing....I think $2 to get a baggie of crystals off Ebay and scrap fabric I had lying around. I made 6 in one sitting and still have tons of the crystals leftover to make more. A little goes a long way. They live in my fridge waiting to be pulled out on a hot day!

-Yee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firelilly
Jo, my husband and son work outside all summer and they use these dealies called Aqua Cool body coolers. They're neck scarves made of bandana print material filled with some sort of little super-absorbent pellets.

You just soak them in water for a few minutes. After they're totally soaked you can pat the excess water off with a towel then tie the bandana around your neck. It doesn't feel soggy it just feels cool.

You can soak them and then put them in a tupperware container and store in the fridge to get them really cold if you like. But you're not supposed to freeze them.

He found them at a 7-11 type store but I'm sure they must have them at department stores as well.

I didn't do much of a search for them but this place carries them ...http://www.trinitysafety.com/Body%20...aters%202.html

Lil

Old 2006-04-16, 7:15am
Embracing My Wonkiness

Good deal, Yee. I had no idea you could get those crystals. I don't think I would know what to look for.

Lil
Old 2006-04-16, 7:32am
Certified Glassaholic!

The ebay seller I got them from is "cowboyattitudeup" and the product is the polymer water crystals. I got 1oz to start and still have tons left over b/c you only use a teaspoon or so per bandana.

Cheers,

-Yee

Old 2006-04-16, 8:04am
Satake Woman!

Thanks everyone! The poor guy really starts to drag as soon as it hits 80, so we will try anything.

Old 2006-04-16, 11:29am
Satake Woman!

Oh my, he is putting a cold wash cloth on top of his head.... too bad he won't let me take a picture.

Old 2006-04-16, 5:36pm
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firelilly

Lil
Yes, this works amazingly well. We were invited to make them for the people who volunteered to help clean up after Katrina hit and for soldiers in Irag. The woman who brought one to our group, simply put the thing in water. It quickly swelled up and was very cooling. They are made from fabric filled with a tiny amount of the special crystals that go into some types of nursery soils. They hold moisture in the soil. A 1/2 teaspoon, or so, expands to fill a long skinny neck band. Very impressive stuff.
J

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2006-04-16, 9:00pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

I have one of these and love it!

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/se...ader1.jhtml.13

Edie
Old 2006-04-17, 9:39am
Where Am I?

I need something too, Jo. I get too hot torching in the summer. Thanks for the tips. Now I know what I need I'll surely be ordering something .

Some days you're the dog.
Other days you're the hydrant

phyliss
Old 2006-04-17, 10:27am
Is it Torch Time Yet?

A lot of motorcyclists (me included) tried the ones you soak in water (with the little moisture loving pellets inside--you can keep cool longer by chilling them in the fridge). They work well *if you're not in a humid climate*. On me, traveling in humid areas, they just warmed up and held the heat. Where it's humid, in my experience just wetting a plain bandana worked better.

However, if you find they work for you, just go to the nursery or garden section at someplace like Home Depot and get the soil crystals found there (they look kinda like sea salt until you soak them). A little goes a long way. I put a couple tablespoons of crystals in one bandana and when I soaked it, the crystal stuff ooooozed out of the pores in the fabric. Oops.

Another thing that might bring your hubby some relief is to take a tube sock and fill it about 1/3 to 1/2 full of dry rice. Pop that in the freezer for a few hours and use that draped around the back of the neck for cooling. when it gets warm, pop it back in the freezer (or fridge, depending on how much cold he tolerates). And if you get an achy something, the same sock can be popped in the microwave to make an effective heat wrap.

Jood
Old 2006-04-17, 3:14pm
Missing presumed fed

I made a bunch of those a summer or two ago for an open torch weekend when we were dying. I found several sets of instructions on the 'Net -- I'll see how many I can turn up and post links.

They're really easy. It takes a ridiculously small quantity of the crystals. The neck cooler will still be pretty much flat after you stuff it, but wait until you get it into water. Make sure you get all of the seams sewn shut completely and securely. Because these things swell so much when you put them in water, there's a good bit of stress on the stitching, particularly if you overfill a little. If there's a gap, bits of cold slimy stuff will ooze down your neck . . .

Also -- let them dry thoroughly after use before you put them away. It takes a long time for them to get completely dry.

Here are links to instructions:

Neck Coolers

Another set of instructions

Even more instructions
Old 2006-04-20, 8:17am
Satake Woman!

Well guys, our coolers from
http://www.polarsoftice.com/bodycoolingphase.html
arrived, and I thought I would give you the report. They are awesome! It takes about 20 minutes to freeze it, and it stays cold for about 3 hours. Since it isn't evaporation cooling, it is working great even though today is pretty humid already. I can already see the improvement in how DH is functioning! Have I said enough good things about them yet?