No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-04-20, 2:04pm
what's a senior moment ?

Default What happened to my beads ?

I etched both the transparent amethyst beads and the blue "vase" bead in a new bottle of liquid etch and the amethyst look just awful ! The pictures don't show all of it either. Really spotty etching with shiny spots and they really looked scratched ! Blue one, just fine, no problem at all. Purple and blue are both Moretti glass and made the usual way. Nothing different at all. Both etched for same amount of time and cleaned off properly. Anyone ever have this happen ? Is it the glass or the etch ? I put a call into the etch company and no call back of course. Can't even remember where I got the bottle of etch either.
Thanks,
Debbie A.

Old 2006-04-20, 4:33pm

That happens to me when the etch solution gets old. Some transparents are persnickety.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-04-20, 5:48pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

How long did you leave them in the solution????

Old 2006-04-20, 6:41pm
Fire Diva

Yep...time for new etching solution....

Old 2006-04-21, 1:00am
Formerly known as LT

Maybe try again with new solution???
Old 2006-04-21, 1:13am
Entropy increasing....

The solution tends to become less effective over time. I have read someone say to put it in the micowave if it has crystals in the bottom. I haven't done that.
Old 2006-04-21, 3:40am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Eh she did use new etch from what I read in the first line of her posting

Old 2006-04-21, 4:24am

It might have been a "new" bottle but how OLD was that new bottle?

My suggestion would be to try again. Not sure I'd microwave it but maybe warm the liquid a bit? Set it in the sun or put the bottle in a pan of hot water?

I'm reaching for straws here. I don't really know the answer.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2006-04-21, 5:40am
Formerly SirWatson

I've had this problem too and contacted Etch All to buy a bottle from their website. I was hoping to get one of their latest bottles so I wouldn't have to deal with solution that's been sitting in a store for ages.

I never heard back from them either. I really want some etching solution soon since I haven't been able to make etched beads (at least transparent ones) in a long time.

Edited to add: I always make a test bead to etch first before putting an entire set of beads in the solution. It's a good gauge as to how the glass will take the etching.

<><
Old 2006-04-21, 6:28am
Carpe Beadum

You might want to try cleaning your beads and trying again. I've heard that sometimes oils from your fingers can create spots where it doesn't etch well.

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2006-04-21, 7:18am
Where Am I?

This is what I am thinking too. The oils will leave a spot where the etching solution cant soak through and leave your piece all blotchy looking.

Some days you're the dog.
Other days you're the hydrant

phyliss
Old 2006-04-21, 8:00am
what's a senior moment ?

Yep, new bottle. This same thing happened when I used it only one other time after I first got it. Will try cleaning them off I guess. Funny thing though, why didn't it do same thing to the blue "vase" type bead ? I used same NEW bottle for that one too and it's just fine. I didn't handle it any different either. I emailed Etch All this morning from their website so we shall see. I hope they contact me.
Thanks to all of you for your help !!!
Debbie A.