Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2008-07-15, 7:59am

Default A simple press idea for da shiny bit :)

For you Kristib how it makes you smile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
back up and running. Been months so needs major work. (updated 12/06 )

Last edited by Andrew; 2008-07-18 at 3:07am.
Old 2008-07-15, 8:00am

Saved

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-15, 11:25am

Wow Andrew. This is great. Had I not bought something already I would definitely try this.
Joyce

Old 2008-07-15, 2:51pm

Hi Joyce and thanks for the comment

Last edited by Andrew; 2008-07-18 at 3:08am.
Old 2008-07-15, 2:57pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Brilliant idea!!

Vivian

-

Old 2008-07-15, 3:13pm
Entropy increasing....

I'm going to show this to my husband. I think we bought a flaring kit from Harbor Freight already. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 2008-07-15, 3:35pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

How cool is that.. Where would you find something like the base piece you have it on.?

I wonder if it could be retrofitted to an arbor press.. Habor Freight has those too.. Looks kinda like one of the core presses..
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3552

Last edited by Megan; 2008-07-17 at 11:14am.
Old 2008-07-16, 5:41am

Andrew-more outstanding work! Thanks!!
Beth
Old 2008-07-16, 7:21am
Booyarashaka

Awesome!!! Sorry there is no edit on TAM Great idea and thanks very much for sharing!

"Temet Nosce"

Old 2008-07-16, 2:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
Brilliant idea!!

Quote:
I'm going to show this to my husband. I think we bought a flaring kit from Harbor Freight already. Thanks for sharing this.
Quote:
Andrew-more outstanding work! Thanks!!
Beth
Thanks guys you are to kind. Im blushing.

Quote:
How cool is that.. Where would you find something like the base piece you have it on.?

I wonder if it could be retrofitted to an arbor press.. Habor Freight has those too.. Looks kinda like the moore press..
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3552
Hi Megan you have given me an idea il have a look into it today after ive done a few orders

Quote:
Awesome!!! Sorry there is no edit on TAM Great idea and thanks very much for sharing!
Lol thats okay sorry for the mess
MY pleasure and thanks. Lovely workshop you have there.

Regards
Andrew Watherston.

Last edited by Andrew; 2008-07-16 at 2:45pm.
Old 2008-07-16, 8:36pm
I speak Murrini!

Wow, Andrew!!!! What an amazing idea!!! I'm wondering if - Megan or anybody else - has taken an "up close and personal" look at that Arbor Press from Harbor Freight (shown in Megan's link in Post #7 above). How do you suppose you could "retrofit" that? I'm trying to picture it...I think that "crank down" thingie is what is called the "ram square" - yeah? Is it solid? Does it have a threaded hole in it where Andrew's suggested Flaring Tool could be attached? Wondering what a Machine Shop would charge to drill that pup to accommodate/thread the Flaring Tool right in there!!!

BRILLIANT!!!!

If anyone has luck with their mods of drill or arbor presses, please share info and pics.!!!

Thanks!
DeAnne

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-16, 9:42pm

Smile

Last edited by Andrew; 2008-07-18 at 3:09am.
Old 2008-07-16, 10:01pm
balanced but asymmetrical

I've been working on putting these pieces together too. Just hack-sawed off the tube flaring tool (with plenty of bolt left) and fit the bolt into a tight brass sleeve, wrapped this tightly in cardstock (yep, will find the right size tubing or 'something' better later!) and pushed it up into the hollow round steel tube (within the square stock) of the arbor press. Holds great!
I am waiting for Andrew's FF stand to arrive (for the bottom bead holder) and plan to use a flat piece of steel on the arbor platform or under the arbor press (with the press clamped to the table) depending on clearance necessary.

Old 2008-07-16, 10:18pm
I speak Murrini!

Gila...

This answers the question (since I haven't seen the Arbor Press yet) whether there is already a hole in that "ram square" thingie...yes! I suspect you and Andrew are on the same wavelength...(me too!) Andrew is an amazing and ingenious inventor...agreed?

Looking forward to what you all come up with!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-16, 10:42pm

De,
Absolutely, Andrew is great, game and giving. So nice to have info freely shared!
This thread is very timely; my dad was clearing out 'stuff' and I snagged the arbor press hoping to put together a 'Jim Moorish' tool. I've been tripped up by the tube flaring tool (bought two, popped the flare pieces off by back turning, and figured I'd have to weld them on to some round stock). Much easier just to cut, and use tension to hold. Also nice to have the versatility of changing tool heads if needed. Rio Grande has some Delrin hammer head replacments that might be converted for the snugger part...

Old 2008-07-16, 11:28pm

Yahoo go Gila. Can you verify the hole size in the base of the 1 inch square arbor pretty please? To make sure its the same size as the ones over here.

Really you guys are far to nice to me. I enjoy doing it.

Regards

Andrew

Old 2008-07-17, 12:23am

Andrew,
It looks like 1.55cm internal dia. on the inner tube.

Last edited by Gila; 2008-07-18 at 8:09am. Reason: lurking has merit
Old 2008-07-17, 12:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gila View Post
Andrew,
It looks like 1.55cm internal dia. on the inner tube.

Wow top job Gila. Love it. Thanks for the measurement too as i dont think the one my mate has comes with a hole . The idea i have doesnt matter if there is a hole in the bottom or not but im interested all the same.

I totaly love the frog on etsy that is so cool and being good at oragami have you tried it on pmc paper. Saw some flowers done in it and nearly made me go out and get some. Lol i cant take on anymore hobbies im so sidetracked now i cant find my way to the kitchen.

Regards
Andrew.

Can anyone else with a Arbor press tell me if they have holes in the bottom pretty please.

Old 2008-07-17, 8:15am

Thanks Andrew!
The frog is based on one of my mom's sketches and started my glass bead-making adventure, I could never find the right belly bead.
I've been curious about the PMC paper for origami and actually picked some up, just need to try it. I like using silk fabric over foiled paper as it is such a nice skin, all shimmery and tactile.

Old 2008-07-17, 9:29am
Wild at Heart!

What is WRONG with people?!?!?!

Jim Moore has supported the glass industry for years with quality tools. Doesn't ANYONE else think it's morally wrong to give directions on how to rip off someone elses idea/tool??? Is everyone really only out for themselves and what they can get without stopping to think about what is right and what is wrong?

I guess not...oh that's right.. once ANYTHING is posted on the internet it's free game for anyone to copy.

This thread should be removed!

Sometimes this place totally disgusts me....

Kristi (Pollyanna)

??
Old 2008-07-17, 9:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
What is WRONG with people?!?!?!

Jim Moore has supported the glass industry for years with quality tools. Doesn't ANYONE else think it's morally wrong to give directions on how to rip off someone elses idea/tool??? Is everyone really only out for themselves and what they can get without stopping to think about what is right and what is wrong?

I guess not...oh that's right.. once ANYTHING is posted on the internet it's free game for anyone to copy.

This thread should be removed!

Sometimes this place totally disgusts me....

Kristi (Pollyanna)
I totally agree with you Kristi........

Andrea

Old 2008-07-17, 10:04am

Frankly I am pleased that there can be a cheaper alternative around for people like me. I do not have the money to buy the good tool. I find this no different than grinding a different groove or notch in a tool that I purchased. I am not using it for its original purpose-but if it works for me why not? Some of my best tools came from my silverware drawer.
There will always be buyers for Moore's tools. There are plenty of people that do not want to go buy and modify things. They want it to work right out of the box.
Beth
Old 2008-07-17, 10:13am
Wild at Heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
Frankly I am pleased that there can be a cheaper alternative around for people like me. I do not have the money to buy the good tool. I find this no different than grinding a different groove or notch in a tool that I purchased. I am not using it for its original purpose-but if it works for me why not? Some of my best tools came from my silverware drawer.
There will always be buyers for Moore's tools. There are plenty of people that do not want to go buy and modify things. They want it to work right out of the box.
Beth
Fine. Go figure it out for yourself, make one.. don't have a problem with that, but to post pictures and diagrams on how to build something that someone else does is W-R-O-N-G.

Hmmmmm sort of like posting a tutorial on how another artist makes a bead.

??
Old 2008-07-17, 10:22am

Whoa...lots to think about and discuss here.
I do think that freedom of shared info and enthusiasm are where innovation stem from, to limit access to this info would be unfortunate and sad. People make their own choices about what to do with this info, but to censor? I really hate it when the focus becomes monetary...
These parts are available, the resultant blisters and 'jerry rigging' aspect won't appeal to everyone.

Last edited by Gila; 2008-07-17 at 10:39am. Reason: spelling
Old 2008-07-17, 10:41am
Broken

Glass artists were recently up in arms about other beadmakers copying them and undercutting there prices. How is this any different?

It's not OK to copy and undercut another beadmaker but it's OK to do it to a tool maker?

Old 2008-07-17, 10:45am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Kristi I totally agree with you here. It's really nice that someone comes up with a less expensive alternative but has anyone here thought of the results for Jim Moore? I see this as stealing money out of his pockets. I'm pretty sure it was meant well but I do think this is way out of line, just as the beadmakers copying stuff. Also, there's always the good oldfashioned dapping tool and hammer for those who can or will not pay the money for a Jim Moore press.

Old 2008-07-17, 10:45am
Wild at Heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gila View Post
Whoa...lots to think about and discuss here.
I do think that freedom of shared info and enthusiasm are where innovation stem from, to limit access to this info would be unfortunate and sad. People make their own choices about what to do with this info, but to censor? I really hate it when the focus becomes monetary...
These parts are available, the resultant blisters and 'jerry rigging' aspect won't appeal to everyone.
This is no different that if you had a signature bead and I figured out how to do it and posted step by step instructions on how to make it.

Would you still feel freedom of shared information, enthusiasm and innovation applied??

??
Old 2008-07-17, 10:56am

I seem to remember plans to build your own kiln and plans to build a controller here. What about the vendors that sell those items? I do not remember anyone criticizing those plans.
Old 2008-07-17, 11:07am
Wild at Heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
I seem to remember plans to build your own kiln and plans to build a controller here. What about the vendors that sell those items? I do not remember anyone criticizing those plans.
Don't have a problem with it. It's not the same thing. All those vendors did not create HOW to build a kiln or controller. They have been around for years and years. It's like posting the plans to build a toaster or something. If the plans included a unique feature that was a specific kiln makers invention or creation, Yup, I would have a problem with it.

This man (Jim) created and designed a way to make the job of coring beads simple and easier. The guy who makes the retro too (sorry, don't know his name) did the same thing, but did it in a DIFFERENT way. If you want to try and copy it for your own use because you don't want to spend the money, more power to you. But it is morally wrong to post how you did it or to recreate it and sell it as your own.

I don't understand why people can't see this. If YOU were Jim or the Retro guy, would you care??

??
Old 2008-07-17, 11:16am

KristiB,
Are you really from Happy Valley?
I guess, that if you figured my signature bead out and posted the steps it would be o.k.
If you were selling a tutorial or these recognizable Gila beads as your own, it would not.