Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-24, 5:19pm
Hat or Cake?

Default Do you date your glass?

I did a search and didn't find substantive info, so I'm asking. I just bought a bunch of DH glass directly from DH. The glass I have bought before, including DH from other suppliers, was not dated. This new batch is - each colour is carefully dated.

I've read posts where people detail exactly how old some glass is, especially when they are selling it. Should I keep track of these dates when I label individual rods? I don't think it will all get used right away. In the future, might I be sorry if I don't date it? I realize that glass lots differ and some premium colours/lots/ etc. become more valuable, but is that important on a day-to-day torching basis?

Any wisdom to share?
Beth
Old 2010-07-24, 5:21pm
Tweedle Dumb

YES!! Date all of your glass. Nightmares happen when you don't

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!

Last edited by jamie lynne; 2010-07-25 at 8:48am.
Old 2010-07-24, 6:07pm
one day at a time

No, I haven't been, but I think it's a very good idea! thanks!

I run into problems with Effetre all the time. This reminds me, how I wish I had some of the petrolem green from 2004!
Old 2010-07-24, 6:19pm
Rose colored glasses…√

<mind...sliding into the gutter, muttering something about rod size>

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-07-24, 6:35pm
Hat or Cake?

I will follow good advice. Have another question, though. Jamie lynne, or anyone else. Why nightmares if I don't? I would just like to know. Is there a chance that I might want to duplicate, exactly, the colour from a bead a made a couple of years ago? Don't colours just come and go?

I don't want to belabour this, but what exactly is the downside of not doing it? Should I worry that I haven't been doing it so far? Any specifics by way of illustration?

Thanks,
Beth
Old 2010-07-24, 6:42pm
Tweedle Dumb

I just had my worst glass nightmare come true. I ordered a bunch of glass that I thought was the same as I had before (and I had gotten lazy about dates). I tossed it in the bin with the other glass, assuming it was the SAME, it was labeled just not dated. And there was a compatability issue. NOW, I have no idea which is which. Which is good. Which is bad. If I had dated it even with just the date I received it, I would have saved a lot of good glass, because I would have been able to pick out one batch from another just looking at the date.

Old 2010-07-24, 6:50pm
one day at a time

Some of my signature beads do not look the same anymore because of changes. EDP being one of them.
Old 2010-07-24, 6:50pm

I didn't used to but now I am starting to...Jamie Lynn's story is why...
Old 2010-07-24, 6:51pm
LE cat whisperer

Yes, I always date my glass to make sure I like it first before getting serious.

Tanya Harness-Floyd

Website ~
~
~
Old 2010-07-24, 6:54pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

If I started dating my glass...

my wife would kill me!

(Sorry, I had to do it)

Jack

Old 2010-07-24, 7:09pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post
If I started dating my glass...

my wife would kill me!

(Sorry, I had to do it)

Jack

I spend so much time with my glass I'm surprised my husband isn't jealous! I do come out of the studio every now and then to let him know I haven't forgotten he's there.
Old 2010-07-24, 7:15pm
Hat or Cake?

Thanks, everyone. That was exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
Beth
Old 2010-07-24, 7:23pm
And silence is golden

I started dating my glass, oh about 8 years ago, and now we are a happily married couple!
Old 2010-07-24, 9:31pm
Bead Geek!

I tried dating my glass, but it turned me down.

(Sorry...I couldn't help it)
Prax

You must do the things you think you cannot do.
Eleanor Roosevelt

-my blog (Don't be scared-go visit!)
Old 2010-07-24, 9:43pm
*Desa Elliott*

My date with my glass was the hottest one I have had so far....

This just proves that I really do need a life.

Seriously, though, I have a question. does it really do any good to date your glass when you have no idea when your supplier got it in the first place? It could have been sitting on their shelf for a long time.

There have been a bunch of times that I wish I had written down which supplier I got the glass from, but I had not considered the date because if the above question.

What so you all think?

G-88
Creideamh, Sůil, Dělseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2010-07-24, 9:50pm
And silence is golden

Good point Desa
Old 2010-07-24, 10:30pm
Bead Crone

Yes, but that's not Jamie Lynne's point. She's talking about being able to tell the glass she's just received apart from the some of the same manufacturer/color glass that she's received in the past, and still has on hand. Dating the rods would be a quick way to tell them apart if you found some cort of compatibility problem.
Old 2010-07-24, 10:40pm

Mine is marked with glass number, name, manufacturer, date made, and seller. If you buy yarn you surely want the same dye lot, why should glass be different? I do it because some glass is just different the second time around and if I am making a set of beads I want them to match. Would you put all of your corals in the same bin?
Old 2010-07-24, 10:51pm
*Desa Elliott*

Yeah, you're right. I can see what you mean now. It's tired here tonight..think I will go to sleep now. maybe my brain will be working tomorrow.

Nite everyone.

G-88
Creideamh, Sůil, Dělseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2010-07-25, 7:28am
And silence is golden

Ok, in all sincerity, I have dated my glass from the beginning of this addiction. I have spread sheets with all the info on them. I have saved every receipt that I could. Still, there have been a few that I have problems with because I've bought them from lampworkers who have decided to switch art mediums.

Here is a good example of record keeping. I have 4 rods marked T-032. I found the receipt from Arrowsprings dated May of 2002. The color name was Effetre-Pale Yellow Emerald Green. Arrowsprings no longer carries this color. Frantz carries an Effetre T-032 and they have it named Verde Rosetta. In their photo, it appears to be a more dense transparent color, than the Pale Yellow Emerald Green. As far as I can tell, there isn't another color out there that matches this.
Old 2010-07-25, 9:13am
She's Back & Burnin'

No, I have never dated my glass. I usually just buy in 1 lb increments and use it up before I make the next purchase.

I am trying to not become a glass ho...now shoes, we don't discuss that. LOL!

Sara

Old 2010-07-25, 1:46pm
one day at a time

Ahhh...this reminds me of the days when I knew I had something good and the $$$ to buy it up and stock it. Pounds and pounds of streaky pink, amber rose, and translucent yellow 409 comes to mind. Life changed drastically and I needed money, so the stash came in handy when I could sell it to pay some important bills.

I vowed that next time I have the money to spend on really cool-may-never-be-seen-again odd colors, I will stock up and then put the stuff under lock and key, and then give my husband the key to bury somewhere.....! He gets upset at me if I say we need money and I sell my tools and glass in the Garage. He says it's better to wait for a sale or until he gets paid, but I don't listen most of the time. When I try to sell my tools and glass, I get this from him: "WTH are you doing??!" He's not a lampworker and he still knows the value of our tools and glass and what that means to most of us.

(damn...I need a new keyboard, but oh well, it's annoying but it can wait)

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-07-25 at 1:49pm.
Old 2010-07-25, 2:16pm
LE cat whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Ok, in all sincerity, I have dated my glass from the beginning of this addiction. I have spread sheets with all the info on them. I have saved every receipt that I could. Still, there have been a few that I have problems with because I've bought them from lampworkers who have decided to switch art mediums.

Here is a good example of record keeping. I have 4 rods marked T-032. I found the receipt from Arrowsprings dated May of 2002. The color name was Effetre-Pale Yellow Emerald Green. Arrowsprings no longer carries this color. Frantz carries an Effetre T-032 and they have it named Verde Rosetta. In their photo, it appears to be a more dense transparent color, than the Pale Yellow Emerald Green. As far as I can tell, there isn't another color out there that matches this.
Can you PLEASE come organize my house? I used to have everything in its own special place and could locate all the information about anything I owned within minutes. Three children later, my organizational skills seem somewhat on the less perfect side. Dating glass does seem to be a very good idea though. Fortunately I have saved every receipt from every purchase of glass, tools, etc. I should be able to match some of my glass to those receipts for the date, but there is no way of knowing with some of it. I guess that will give me something else to do, as if I don't already have enough. Wish me luck!

Tanya Harness-Floyd

Website ~
~
~
Old 2010-07-27, 8:13pm
Hat or Cake?

This has been a really interesting read and I appreciate the time people took to share their knowledge and experiences. I think I'm going to start dating my glass.

Thanks all,
Beth
Old 2010-07-27, 8:40pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I wish you and your glass a long and happy life together!!!!

Jack

Old 2010-07-27, 8:51pm
Life is change. Love it

Date my glass?? I can barely sort it into the right cubbies, and sometimes just throw glass that looks the same into the same container. I need a studio stager to come and sort me out. Free glass for any volunteers!

Old 2010-07-27, 8:59pm
Tweedle Dumb

Carolyn, I'm so there.

Old 2010-07-27, 9:02pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
Carolyn, I'm so there.
Come on up. Child friendly environment, swimming puddle, trampoline, jungle gym, cable slide etc etc, and no kids to use it anymore.

Or come by yourself for a gettaway and go home with lots of free glass

Old 2010-07-27, 9:08pm
Tweedle Dumb

Don't forget a squirrel to entertain everyone. Man, if I could bail for a couple days to come play with glass (even just organizing) I would. I need a break.

Old 2010-07-28, 8:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
<mind...sliding into the gutter, muttering something about rod size>
bwaaaa

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-