Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-06, 7:48am
Hobby Junkie

I really like your murrini! I am a huge fan of Noodlesaurus's steel punties. They have helped me get really long even pulls. Yes, the gather can get HUGE! I only pull what my arms can handle. I just cut, repunty up and heat and pull again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-08-06, 8:13am
And silence is golden

So pretty!
Old 2010-08-08, 5:52am
Mary Lockwood

I think they are lovely.

As far as 'glob' size...yep. Huge. LOL

I don't particularly enjoy making canes so when I do it I like to make them HUGE so I don't have to do it again for a while. The end gather can really get big.

To pull them down myself, because I can end up with 12' of cane, I attached a hook in the ceiling of my studio. I used pliers to form a loop in the end of one of the steel punties I use to pull cane. When I've got the gather ready to pull I do the first foot or so of pulling with both hands, then I slip the punty loop over the ceiling hook and just start backing up. I can nip it into foot long pieces after that and then nip it into chips once it is cooled.

~~Mary

Old 2010-08-08, 1:21pm

Talking Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I think they are lovely.

I don't particularly enjoy making canes so when I do it I like to make them HUGE so I don't have to do it again for a while. The end gather can really get big.

To pull them down myself, because I can end up with 12' of cane, I attached a hook in the ceiling of my studio. I used pliers to form a loop in the end of one of the steel punties I use to pull cane. When I've got the gather ready to pull I do the first foot or so of pulling with both hands, then I slip the punty loop over the ceiling hook and just start backing up. I can nip it into foot long pieces after that and then nip it into chips once it is cooled.

~~Mary
Mary, thank you so much for this information. I've been trying to figure out how to make a 'grabber' to hold the punty in a horizontal orientation, and I never quite got it working. But I do have a place I can put a hook and then I can back up at least 10 feet.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.....
Tina

Old 2010-08-08, 2:59pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Well, if you end up making murrini that you don't care for...pop those babies up in the Garage. I'm sure it won't take long for someone to relieve you of their presence. LOL!

Sara

Old 2010-08-11, 3:44am

Default pulling cane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I think they are lovely.

~~Mary
What a great idea, must put this to use, can't wait to try this trick.

Thanks Mary

val

Old 2010-08-11, 5:14am
Happy Beadmaker!

Here's a cool tip -- well, I hope you think it's cool!!!

When I've completed my pull, I carefully run an ice cube around the backside of the punty/mandrel (I use the Noodlesaurus) to pop off the leftover end piece of the pull. I save those and make color-coordinated frit to go with my murrini!

Waste-not-want-not my dear ol'granny used to say!

~
~
~
Old 2010-08-11, 5:19pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I thought I would show the latest murrini I made. I am fairly happy with it actually but I have noticed that my murrini does not melt down in a straight manner. They seem to lean towards once side. This is how I apply them:

I hold the murrini in tweezers and lightly heat it in the back of the flame while I heat the surface of the bead. Then I apply the murrini and give it a couple of heats and pats with the marver and then slowy melt down.

Should I be patting it flat completely. Is allowing it to melt down on it's own the error?

Old 2010-08-11, 8:53pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

OMG! Who are you? What happened to you? Never mind, dont even tell me, just give me the same stuff!
That murrini is gorgeous!
Old 2010-08-11, 8:57pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Pardon? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by piakaven View Post
OMG! Who are you? What happened to you? Never mind, dont even tell me, just give me the same stuff!
That murrini is gorgeous!

Old 2010-08-11, 9:10pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I thought you meant that you havent done murrinis... I find it hard to believe!
Old 2010-08-11, 9:25pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

ok, let me explain why I am so excited... I have tried several times, and each time the murrini looks like it was chopped out of wood with a chainsaw... not very smooth. I so like how pretty your murrini looks, they are all uniform and nice, clean cut, and they look pretty on bead as well. I think I need to practise, seriously!