Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-05, 3:32am

Angry Encasing with transparents?

I dont make alot of encased beads, but would like to
The problem i have is the transparent never looks CLEAN and CRISP
it always looks dirty and dull.
even though i clean the rods first, why is this happening??

WEBSITE--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BLOG--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angie x
Old 2010-09-05, 4:01am
the Evil One

What torch are you using? If you are on a hothead it is hard to keep your clear or transparent clean looking. You have to work far out of the flame.

Old 2010-09-05, 5:35am
Help i am on fire

i use a hot head. first off you need to get the best clear glass made by lauscha. need to turn down flame. i work in a very low flame, not low in the flame. it takes a while to melt. but if you work in a strong flame and very hot on hot head you will burn the glass.

looked at your etsy site, your beads are beautiful.
Old 2010-09-05, 6:46am
Lampworkaholic!

Different transparents yield different results. I absolutely love R104 Roselin (pale pink transparent) for encasing, it never gets hazy or bubbly.

If you meant clear transparent, nothing beats Aether for clean and crisp. Tradeoff is that it reacts with silver and turns it gold-green (which can be a positive if that is what you are going for).

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-09-05, 9:44am

im using a bethlehem minnow and no i dont mean clear
its more of the coloured transparents, i made a frit based bead and encased in a pale amber but the amber looks awful its not clear at all.
thanks for your input guys!

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2010-09-05, 10:00am
plays with fire

Could your pale amber be reacting with your frit?
Old 2010-09-05, 10:02am

I found that sometimes it is the combo in the frit mix that will make the transparents
dirty looking. This is just a suggestion, but it is what happened to me.
Katie
Old 2010-09-06, 1:58am

I've had great luck with TAGs clear (Clarity) after frustration with lots of others...

Old 2010-09-06, 3:52am

Amber contains sulphur, so colors that react with ivory will also react with amber. I also think that the fritblends could be the problem. Maybe a thin clear encasing and then layer the other colour?

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2010-09-06, 8:50am

I get optically clear from Vetrofond and Effetre 17-18mm rods after peeling them.

Here is how I do it.

http://www.tumbleweedglass.com/videos.html

I either pull 6mm rods for encasing, or use the clear in a Stump Sucker, after peeling the impurities. It's amazing how much scum and crud comes off.

Steve

Old 2010-09-06, 4:03pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I think Verena is right, and something in your frit reacts with the amber. If you still want to use the amber or the frit, I would do a thin clear encasing first.

Pia
Old 2010-09-06, 4:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWright View Post
I get optically clear from Vetrofond and Effetre 17-18mm rods after peeling them.

Here is how I do it.

http://www.tumbleweedglass.com/videos.html

I either pull 6mm rods for encasing, or use the clear in a Stump Sucker, after peeling the impurities. It's amazing how much scum and crud comes off.

Steve
Dont understand...how would i do this with a regular rod?

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2010-09-06, 4:42pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie View Post
very painfully...
Old 2010-09-06, 8:11pm
Lampworkaholic!

Amber can be fussy and may get micro bubbles if you get it really hot. Try some different transparents and see if they do better for you. I have good luck with pinks and lavenders. Light blues/aquas, forget about it.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-09-06, 8:25pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

yes, especially aquas are terrible... but they dont scum, just boil. I love to encase with aqua, but it is so slow, since I have to work really high in a flame.
Old 2010-09-06, 9:05pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Don't forget to clean your glass really well before using it. I use a coffee filter and rubbing alcohol (Thanks to Val Cox for that idea!) or even a vinegar/water solution will work.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-09-07, 5:36am

It can be makes you crazy but work with really low flame as you can. I often have the same problem when I'm impatient and use high flame to make it faster. It results with dirty looking transparent and lots of bubles in it.

Old 2010-09-07, 7:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie View Post
You can't, it takes a big rod or Shott Puck.

Steve

Old 2010-09-07, 11:43am
pyro slacker mom

sounds like the frit and amber are not playing well together? I second/third the suggetions to do a thin layer of clear and THEN the amber...

and, in general, overheating clear/transparents will lead to scummy ugly results - try a smaller (neutral) flame, and perhaps working a bit further out, to avoid overheating the glass.

glass color wiki:
Old 2010-09-07, 11:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWright View Post
You can't, it takes a big rod or Shott Puck.

Steve
I think the point was she is not using clear
Old 2010-09-07, 1:09pm
addicted to dichro

I had this problem recently and it was because the end of my propane tank was dirty. Hooked up a new tank and voila no sooting. You still have to be careful with transparents and I don't even bother with the clear, I use lauscha clear only.

Old 2010-09-07, 4:14pm
Hobby Junkie

I agree, if you don't mind the bead being a bit bigger, you can encase in clear first then the color. You will avoid reactions that way.