Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-30, 8:59am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

No, not confusion - all suggestions welcome! I have seen that one before but I am going to hold off on adding a third layer until I can get a second layer down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-09-30, 10:02am
NW Oregon

This thread got me thinking about Cynthia's description of dotting the petals and then heating the entire bead and pushing the dotted flowers into the bead. I do have her tutorial and it is a great one by the way. But I think I misunderstood when I read it.

So, I went out to the studio yesterday and tried doing it the way she described versus how I usually do it. Thought I'd post photos so you can see the difference. At least I hope you can see the difference. Cynthia's way does create more depth. Of course, I love all her work so I'm not surprised!

The Blue Flower is my normal way and the Pink flower is her way. If you really look at the center petals in each bead you'll see the difference. The pink ones cup more. In terms of depth *between* the layers of petals I can't see a difference.

Hope this helps to illustrate one aspect of encased florals. Excuse the tiny bubbles around the edge of the pink flowers, I got the pink too hot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2010-09-30, 12:31pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

thanks for this thread, I am working on encased florals right now and got some good tips.... progress is being made.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-09-30, 4:54pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I was going to take pics today but my battery needed charging. I will try to post them tomorrow.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-10-01, 7:49am
tweetysweetie

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics Squid...and I'll second Bousky's tutorial along with Gems &Glassatc advice...I own two sets of Michelles beads and the flowers in them are just incredible AND small...fascinates me as how she gets so much depth & dimension on such a small work canvas.

Last edited by FiredDesires; 2010-10-01 at 7:51am.
Old 2010-10-01, 8:51am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Jennifer - your florals are lovely!!! Beautiful!!

I'd put a plug in for my own floral tutorial, but that would be rude. Plus, there are so many great tutorials out there, it would be pretty pointless.

This has been a nice thread - lots of good advice!
Not rude at all - I just went and looked at your tutorial - the flowers are gorgeous and are multi-layer, so I will probably add that to my shopping list if I decide I need another one. Your petals are quite distinctive. Thanks for mentioning it!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-10-01, 8:54am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I made 2 florals last night. I use the "pressing the slightly raised dots into the bead" trick and left the second layer slightly raised before encasing and I do think it made a difference. I will include those pics too when I take them!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-10-01, 9:00am

That's great Squid. I was just going to reiterate the importance of the pressing of the petals into the bead. That really keeps the dots from spreading. Also, it has a lot to do with the colors you choose. I almost always use a white base. It seems to spread the least amount. You know what's really pretty? Powder Pink base, with Ruby Gold or Effetre...sh&t, I can't remember the color. OMG I'm getting old. You know, the cranberry trans color? Anyway, it's a killer color flower and it stays nice and crisp.

Old 2010-10-01, 9:03am

That' it!!! Rubino. I rarely buy the Rubino anymore. I like the Olympic Ruby Gold much better. It doesn't metal up. Thanks, you rescued my brain from trying to remember.

Old 2010-10-01, 10:13am
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Jennifer - your florals are lovely!!! Beautiful!!

I'd put a plug in for my own floral tutorial, but that would be rude. Plus, there are so many great tutorials out there, it would be pretty pointless.

This has been a nice thread - lots of good advice!
Thank you for the compliment Kimberly. I hope I'm not the only one who can see, in my photos, the difference between petals that have been pushed into the surface and petals that are melted flat.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2010-10-01, 2:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I finally have my photos ready. Here is the "before I started this thread". These are from the last month or so. I got so disgusted that I quit trying to make multi layers and concentrated on making single layer and getting good at those. There are a few that have a single flower that are ok and others that aren't ugly, but don't look "right". And then I started this thread:

Here is after reading some of the first tips - but the one on the far right is from a while ago. See? I can do it on a bigger bead

And here is from last night - and pushing the dots into the bead and leaving the last layer slightly raised when encasing. I used two layers of the transparenton the dots on the top bead but forgot it on the second - I can see the difference.

DOG is my co-pilot

Last edited by squid; 2010-10-01 at 2:49pm.
Old 2010-10-01, 9:40pm
Hat or Cake?

This is all very helpful. All of my flowers look way too impressionistic. I'm going to try harder now, using ideas from here.

Squid, your 'before' pictures look much more like flowers than mine do. Honestly. You're doing great. And yes, I do see a big difference in the 'afters.' Spurs me on.
Beth
Old 2010-10-02, 6:03am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
That' it!!! Rubino. I rarely buy the Rubino anymore. I like the Olympic Ruby Gold much better. It doesn't metal up. Thanks, you rescued my brain from trying to remember.
Olympic Ruby Gold? Please tell me where I can get some.

I've been using Reichenbach Gold Violet for my pink flowers but I'd love a deeper pink that is stable and reliable.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-10-02, 7:15am
NW Oregon

Squid your florals are great! It looks like your smaller ones are coming along fine too. And I can really see how the cupping and the extra layer of transparent changed the one bead.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2010-10-02, 7:21am
Mary Lockwood

I'm diggin the CiM cranberry. Darker than rubino and less moody.

Old 2010-10-02, 7:45am

These are beautiful. Both of them. I struggled with florals for so long before I started getting the results I wanted. For years I had tried. I'm glad you liked the tutorial And I'm glad for this thread to go over the process. I don't want anyone who baught the tut, to think I am giving all of the information away here for free. There is LOTS more in the tut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiacat View Post
This thread got me thinking about Cynthia's description of dotting the petals and then heating the entire bead and pushing the dotted flowers into the bead. I do have her tutorial and it is a great one by the way. But I think I misunderstood when I read it.

So, I went out to the studio yesterday and tried doing it the way she described versus how I usually do it. Thought I'd post photos so you can see the difference. At least I hope you can see the difference. Cynthia's way does create more depth. Of course, I love all her work so I'm not surprised!

The Blue Flower is my normal way and the Pink flower is her way. If you really look at the center petals in each bead you'll see the difference. The pink ones cup more. In terms of depth *between* the layers of petals I can't see a difference.

Hope this helps to illustrate one aspect of encased florals. Excuse the tiny bubbles around the edge of the pink flowers, I got the pink too hot.

Old 2010-10-02, 7:52am

Yes, there is a definite difference. I think these look really nice. The are nice a crisp around the edges too.

Ok Squid, come on bite the bullet and make the third layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I can see the difference.

Old 2010-10-02, 7:55am

I guess it's called Gold Violet.

http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=121&pID=1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Olympic Ruby Gold? Please tell me where I can get some.

I've been using Reichenbach Gold Violet for my pink flowers but I'd love a deeper pink that is stable and reliable.

Old 2010-10-02, 8:49am
I speak Murrini!

Wow, Squid...they're coming along GREAT! I need to subscribe to this thread!!!! My efforts look quite like your "before" pictures; can it be that second layer of transparent over the opaque dots is the magic ticket?

I really must try again! They are all really pretty but I think I like that orange one on the far left most; it looks like a Pansy!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-10-02, 7:52pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Yes, there is a definite difference. I think these look really nice. The are nice a crisp around the edges too.

Ok Squid, come on bite the bullet and make the third layer

Funny you should mention that . I was planning on trying it tonight but was too tired from painting all day to torch. I will definitely be trying next time I torch though.

Thank you, Cynthia and everyone else too, SO MUCH for all your help. I am pretty happy with my progress so far.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-10-02, 7:54pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Wow, Squid...they're coming along GREAT! I need to subscribe to this thread!!!! My efforts look quite like your "before" pictures; can it be that second layer of transparent over the opaque dots is the magic ticket?

I really must try again! They are all really pretty but I think I like that orange one on the far left most; it looks like a Pansy!
Thank you! It's 3 things combined - the second trans layer is one, the pushing the first layer of dots down into the beads is second, and leaving the top layers slightly raised before encasing is third. All three seem to have made a difference!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-10-02, 7:57pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiacat View Post

Both of these beads are incredibly gorgeous!!!!!!

DOG is my co-pilot

Last edited by squid; 2010-10-02 at 8:08pm.
Old 2010-10-03, 12:01am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I've been making florals for awhile and they look ok, but I do have one question that bugs the heck out of me. I have made some pretty cool stamen cane. When I apply it on top of a flower that has all the layers as mentioned above and plunge and leave it raised and cut it off with nippers, it spreads out and makes a hole and really ruins my flower. Any pointers on how to avoid this?

Ebay:

Last edited by killerbeedz1; 2010-10-03 at 12:10am.
Old 2010-10-03, 4:46am
Wendy

Squid posted bead pics!

*faints*

I kept popping in here to see your progress and am amazed at even your before pics. Thanks for starting this thread and thanks to everyone that's posted tips along the way. There's so much information here!

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2010-10-03, 5:56pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
I've been making florals for awhile and they look ok, but I do have one question that bugs the heck out of me. I have made some pretty cool stamen cane. When I apply it on top of a flower that has all the layers as mentioned above and plunge and leave it raised and cut it off with nippers, it spreads out and makes a hole and really ruins my flower. Any pointers on how to avoid this?
Pull the end of your stamen cane to a point before you plunge it into the bead.

Heat the tip and pull it off like you were cleaning the tip off a dirty rod of clear. Leave the end tapered and pointy. When you plunge it into the bead it won't have as far to spread deep down when you go to melt it in.

~~Mary

Old 2010-10-03, 6:01pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
When I use stamen cane, I dot the cut end with clear and let it spread the end of the stamen out a little. If it's a little long, I heat the clear end and press it down carefully.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-10-03, 6:07pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeangirlnc View Post
Squid posted bead pics!

*faints*

I kept popping in here to see your progress and am amazed at even your before pics. Thanks for starting this thread and thanks to everyone that's posted tips along the way. There's so much information here!

I really *DO* make beads!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-10-03, 7:35pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post

I really *DO* make beads!
Yes and now there is proof!
Old 2010-10-03, 8:12pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I've posted them before - three or four times

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-10-03, 11:02pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Thanks for the tips Mary and Squid. I'll give it a try next time I do florals.

Patsy

Ebay: