No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-09, 5:25pm
Staying cozy by the fire

Default Regular Guy Or Wide Guy

So I want a bead kiln instead of a Fusion 10 fusing kiln. Should I get the "Regular Guy" or the "Wide Guy" from glasshive? Which one to pick and why?
Old 2011-06-09, 7:19pm
grama punky - class junky

well...I know nothing of either of those. I have a chili pepper and love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-09, 7:23pm
Knob Creek Glass

Wide Guy. Holds more beads. Efficient!
Old 2011-06-10, 9:05am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

I got my Regular Guy a month ago, and I'm amazed at the capacity. However, if you produce dozens and dozens of beads in a single work session, the Wide Guy may be the better bet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-06-11, 7:30am
tweetysweetie

I own the Wide Guy and use it for my classroom at GlassCraft Expo, because of its' large capacity....the regular would be sufficient if you don't do alot of torching/fusing, however, you must look beyond "just today" and consider what you might be doing in the future. If you buy the big one now, years down the road you'll have the extra space you might end up needing. Wise choice on a Glasshive product by the way...excellent product and 5 Star customer service.

Old 2011-06-11, 10:56pm
Fancy Mammal

Like everyone says, it depends on how many beads you make in a sitting - and how much room you've got to set it up. You can get lots of beads in a regular, particularly if you're willing to stack once they've been in there a bit (that's what I do).

The only way I can imagine needing a wide guy is if I taught classes, or went into production mode, making lots and lots of little / fast beads every day. I think you could get 100s of mandrels in a regular.

I'm also guessing that you'll keep using the fusing kiln for fusing?
Old 2011-06-12, 2:21am
offically down under

Love LOVE love my regular guy. I put the beads in glowing hot and after they've cooled to garaging temp, I just move them over. I can make a heap-o-beads in a day and always seems to have room for a few more.

Old 2011-06-12, 6:42am

Love, love, love my wide guy! More room for beads and fusing.
Old 2011-06-12, 7:18am
Formerly NurseKatie :)

Most importantly you are getting a kiln from the Glass Hive, you can't go wrong. Hands down the best kiln and the BEST at costomer service! I have the regular and like others have said, I can fit lots of beads in it once I start stacking. It is a personal choice between the 2 and it depends on what you plan to do with it.
Old 2011-06-12, 6:25pm
Covergirlbeads

I have the regular guy and done quite well with it. I started stacking and every now and then I get my silver sticking together. When I really get rolling, I'm filled up before I'm ready to quit. My next one will definitely be the wide guy! Their support and customer service is great! They also have a longer warranty period. Go W I D E !