No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-24, 11:12am
Gay rights R human rights

Default Blowing shards.

So I finally dug out my blowing shards tutorial but for the life of me I can't get them going. So frustrating. Any advise?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2013-04-24, 2:17pm
Marble Lover

I would describe what you've done, what the results were and provide a pic or 5 if possible. That will give people a head start on helping.

I, of course, know nothing about it so can't help.

-BEP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-04-24, 2:27pm

well I had to change my methods. instead of trying to blow out a solid sphere I changed to coil potting.

Old 2013-04-24, 2:44pm
Tweedle Dumb

They look good to me. What do you think is wrong with them?

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2013-04-24, 2:53pm
Marble Lover

I think Leslie was first sticking a solid mass of glass on the hollow mandrel and not able to get the air bubble started to get it to expand in the middle.

Then, she switched methods. I'm assuming "coil potting" is melting rods in a circular coil pattern on the end of the mandrel then closing off the end. It's what I do when I attempt to blow an ornament on the hollow mandrel.

All total conjecture. I'm looking forward to hearing "the rest of the story".

And I agree - they sure look good to me!

-BEP
Old 2013-04-24, 3:25pm
hyperT

Collect your glass then blow a small starter bubble in the center reheat and blow it out larger this is a two step process. Also be sure to hesitate before you blow to let the heat in the glass get uniform throughout.
Old 2013-04-24, 3:40pm

I'm with Jamie Lynne. They look great!
Old 2013-04-24, 4:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepnewt View Post
I think Leslie was first sticking a solid mass of glass on the hollow mandrel and not able to get the air bubble started to get it to expand in the middle.

Then, she switched methods. I'm assuming "coil potting" is melting rods in a circular coil pattern on the end of the mandrel then closing off the end. It's what I do when I attempt to blow an ornament on the hollow mandrel.

All total conjecture. I'm looking forward to hearing "the rest of the story".

And I agree - they sure look good to me!

-BEP
DING DING DING! You would be correct. I have Joe's shard tutorials and he starts with a solid mass of glass on the blow pipe. But coil potting seems to work just fine. Tomorrow I will test them.

Old 2013-04-24, 4:44pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I wind the glass on the end of the pipe in the same fashion as you would when encasing a bead in the around the world style. Your shards look great!

Old 2013-04-24, 11:27pm
Naysayer

Yes I coil pot also, Joe must have some awesome lungs I got one by finally switching to a 1/2 inch mandrel but even then I almost passed out trying lol.
Old 2013-04-26, 3:47pm
Live and Let Live

I want to know what was used for colors in those two pics. They are beautiful! Or is it top secret tutorial recipes?

Old 2013-04-26, 6:30pm
Adrian

beautiful shards! first time i tried blowing shards, i created a wonderful "dinosaur egg" and walked directly into my house to show my friend. Yup, the shards cooled down and shattered all over the rug! oops, newbie mistake.
adrian
Old 2013-04-27, 7:53am
Jacqueline Parkes

hmmm not sure why my post was removed, trying again............this is a large shard of silvered ivory

Old 2013-04-27, 11:28am
Catnip Pusher

OMG Jacqueline, I have bubble envy!

I use your tutorial for blowing shards, but my bubbles are much smaller and I have a hard time getting them that thin.

Aimee
Old 2013-04-27, 1:03pm
Mr Brutus RIP

wow Jacqueline, that is one beautiful bubble!!

Old 2013-04-27, 6:13pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Thanks, you just need to add more glass and heat.

Old 2013-04-28, 5:52am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

I am absolute cr*p at blowing shards, I have both Gem's & Joe's tutorials & have tried dozens of times & only been successful once! I coil, I heat thoroughly, I keep heating & spinning to get the glass even, I puff gently to get it started & still I either can't get it to shift at all or I blow holes in the side of bubbles less than an inch across .

Thank God Joe sells shards is all I can say .

Old 2013-04-28, 3:43pm
Slogan Challenged...

Robyn, that sounds exactly like my attempts! Help.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-04-28, 4:30pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
Robyn, that sounds exactly like my attempts! Help.
I wish I could, Kristen! I'm going to try again today &see if I can improve my record :thumbsup: .

Old 2013-04-28, 6:20pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I suspect you are having problems because when you first start blowing small puffs, you feel nothing is happening when it actually is. Continue to blow puffs gently until you see the glass moving and then as the glass cools, give stronger puffs.

Old 2013-04-28, 6:50pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

You're right Jacq, I was doing my 2 or 3 puffs & then blowing at that same strength to get it to expand when in fact I need to blow a lot softer after I have done the initial couple of puffs & then blow harder as the glass cools. Found this out after about 30 tries blowing the side out of the shard. I finally managed to get it right, not anywhere as big as yours but certainly usable shards now & just to prove it wasn't a fluke I did another one (which only took me about 5 tries ).

Old 2013-04-29, 12:55am
Hello?

Nice shards Tiggy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
Yes I coil pot also, Joe must have some awesome lungs I got one by finally switching to a 1/2 inch mandrel but even then I almost passed out trying lol.
I've been blowing shards for about 6 years by now I think. My lungs have gotten quite a work out

Old 2013-04-29, 2:57am
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperT View Post
Collect your glass then blow a small starter bubble in the center reheat and blow it out larger this is a two step process. Also be sure to hesitate before you blow to let the heat in the glass get uniform throughout.
This is basically how furnace work is done. Your glass must be HOT! I mean dripping off the blow pipe hot.

Last edited by Dragonharper; 2013-04-29 at 8:37am.
Old 2013-04-29, 7:39am

I tested my shards and I think I have to change the ratio of the 2 glasses. When you start with a solid sphere of glass and encase that the ratio is much higher than 50 50 like coil potting.

Old 2013-05-01, 11:41am
Lover of Life

I used to make shards with only one layer coiled on, but since getting Jacqueline's tut, i now always use three layers. Great color mixing possibilities that way, no more blowouts, and enough shards from each blow to make it all worthwhile! I love making shards and do it almost every time I torch..

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2013-05-01, 4:23pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Glad to hear you are having success Becky

Old 2013-05-01, 4:31pm

What are you guys doin with these? I'm new
Old 2013-05-01, 9:31pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

And just to prove it wasn't a fluke, I blew another one today - yay!

Flopperhead, you gently melt them onto beads & they give a great surface design/texture.

ETA - like this ...

Last edited by MrsD; 2013-05-01 at 9:33pm.
Old 2013-05-02, 10:38am
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
I want to know what was used for colors in those two pics. They are beautiful! Or is it top secret tutorial recipes?