Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-28, 12:54am

Default DH Catalyst?

Bought some of the test "catalyst" glass at the Bash and of course really have no idea what to do with it. Anyone else tried it out yet? What are you doing with it?
della
Old 2010-08-28, 6:32am
Formerly FishBulb

A catalyst is something that will cause a reaction, so I'm guessing you could use it under striking and/or reducing glass for an exaggerated reaction from that glass.

I hadn't heard of this so I don't know for sure but I'd love to see what it does!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-08-28, 6:36am
Rose colored glasses…√

A catalyst is also a catalytic converter, and I was wondering why someone was asking about their husband's exhaust problem. Must get brain out of work mode.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-08-28, 6:37am
Formerly FishBulb

Aren't husbands usually in some state of exhaustion? (as evidenced by the fact they always fall asleep in front of the TV then deny they were actually sleeping, they were just "closing their eyes").

Old 2010-08-28, 9:49am
da General

This is what Jed said to do - base bead with the catalyst (ES404, I think), roll on some reactive frit (e.g., Triton), encase in clear. I haven't tried it myself yet however . . . show pics if you do!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-08-28, 12:41pm
I speak Murrini!

Just wondering if you guys have a picture of the "Catalyst" glass...or can tell me sort of what color it looks like in the rod? Just curious...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-08-28, 12:47pm
She's Back & Burnin'

I too would love to see a pic.

Sara

Old 2010-08-28, 1:00pm

can't show you a picture but the glass itself is a very dk blue. come on you guys, someone has to have made something, right?
Old 2010-08-28, 2:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
A catalyst is something that will cause a reaction, so I'm guessing you could use it under striking and/or reducing glass for an exaggerated reaction from that glass.

I hadn't heard of this so I don't know for sure but I'd love to see what it does!
This is exactly what Julie told me about this glass

Old 2010-09-16, 11:36pm

I just got some of the ES404, and am not having a lot of luck with it. The only glass that had a noticeable reaction to it is the same one that Jed showed a picture of -- Electra Lyte. It really popped when placed over the catalyst glass. The EL showed a lot more color with the catalyst than I've ever gotten out of it. Sadly, I haven't gotten any exciting color reactions out of any other glass that I've tested.

Has anybody else had good luck with this yet? It is sold out on the DH site, so somebody must be working with it.

Birdy
Scorpion + Regalia
Old 2010-09-17, 10:39am
Color Outside The Lines!

Default ES404 Catalyst

ES404 Catalyst is a dark blue glass that strikes to black in the kiln. We developed this black to use in our murrini. Because of it's unusual chemistry, it reacts with high-oxygen luster colors(Aion2, Elektra2.1, Aurae, etc.) In our testing we found that when using ES404 as catalyst, light transparent colors allow the reaction between the two glass layers to be easily visible. We also had good results using a base of ES404 partially coated with a luster frit, such as Triton. My favorite effect was to make a small amount of ES404 frit, and mix it with a luster frit. When applied and encased, the reaction is instant and easy, due to the high surface area of the two frits. Image above shows Aion2 stripes over ES404.

Jed at Double Helix Glassworks

Last edited by Double Helix Glassworks; 2010-09-17 at 10:48am. Reason: adding image
Old 2010-09-17, 11:34am
Tacki

I love this glass.

Here is a bead with plain black as the base, with original terra dots:

Here is the same style of bead, but I used the catalyst as the base, and then the same terra dots. I couldn't get a good pic of the 2nd bead. It caused more reaction in the terra dots and got a cool, streaky hazy appearance on the catalyst glass.

This bead has the catalyst base, and I threaded some striking color glass stringers on top. I've had 0 success with this particular striking color glass, but once I put it on top of the catalyst, I actually got color for the first time ever:

This bead has the same formula as the above bead, but I randomly raked the colors together"

I messed up this bead by putting the weird beige splotches on it (totally my fault... just ignore those ) but this has the catalyst base, and threaded elektra on top which I raked together. I didn't even have to reduce the elektra to get the colors to pop. It's amazing to see the pale transparents on top of the catalyst. You just melt them in, and it's instant color.

I'm still playing with it to see what else I can get it to do.
Old 2010-09-17, 10:40pm

Thank-you for the extra info, Jed! Just figured I'd ask here on LE first, before bothering you. Didn't know that it was best used with the luster colors. I usually have great results with the colors that you recommended, so didn't try it with any of those. Will definitely try again. Jed makes awesome glass, so I knew it was 'operator error' and not bad glass.

I'm totally dazzled by the beautiful colors that you got, tracidawn! Wow!! Have you tried this with Terra2? That's at the top of my list for things to try tomorrow morning.

Birdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Helix Glassworks View Post
ES404 Catalyst is a dark blue glass that strikes to black in the kiln. We developed this black to use in our murrini. Because of it's unusual chemistry, it reacts with high-oxygen luster colors(Aion2, Elektra2.1, Aurae, etc.) In our testing we found that when using ES404 as catalyst, light transparent colors allow the reaction between the two glass layers to be easily visible. We also had good results using a base of ES404 partially coated with a luster frit, such as Triton. My favorite effect was to make a small amount of ES404 frit, and mix it with a luster frit. When applied and encased, the reaction is instant and easy, due to the high surface area of the two frits. Image above shows Aion2 stripes over ES404.

Jed at Double Helix Glassworks
Old 2010-09-17, 11:30pm
Tacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post

I'm totally dazzled by the beautiful colors that you got, tracidawn! Wow!! Have you tried this with Terra2? That's at the top of my list for things to try tomorrow morning.
Nope, I sold all my Terra2 in the garage sale shortly after I purchased it. It's one of the very few DH colors that didn't play nice with me. I've got pretty much everything else, including just about every odd lot and test batch that's come out in the past 2 years if you want me to try something else.
Old 2010-09-18, 9:12pm
Formerly FishBulb

Awesome beads Traci! I think this will have to be my next DH glass choice. Stunning!

Old 2010-09-19, 11:04am

Traci... thank you so much for posting pics! I got some of the catalyst glass and wondered what the heck I'd do with it... now I know what to expect from it!

Old 2010-09-19, 8:00pm
Life is change. Love it

Can't wait to try it!

Old 2010-09-20, 4:03pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Thank you guys so much. I was HOPING someone started a thread for this. I am such a dork I though a catalyst should be used to encase a bead <D'oh> I used about an inch before I knew to put it away. I'll try again...maybe even in my reactive twistie experiments. Would it be fair to compare this new glass to Supernova or Leaky Pen? Thanks
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2010-09-28, 3:42pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

I had a major A-HA! moment today using the catalyst glass. used it as a base with triton frit and elektra2.1 shard. Wowie did it pop. HOpe the kiln faries are kind and i'll post pics soon

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2010-09-28, 5:04pm

You guys should try making encased stringer with the catalyst glass as the encased part and the silver glass as the encasing glass. You might get some good effects that way...
Old 2010-09-29, 11:27am

catalyst and aurae

Old 2010-09-29, 11:40am

Stackmyra, really pretty color.
Old 2010-09-29, 12:00pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I don't see this glass on their site

Vivian

-

Old 2010-10-01, 2:49pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

They are currenly sold out. Its listed on page 5 of color archives. Anyone know a good place to get more? I foolishly got only a 1/4 pound and now that I see what this glass does I'm bummed. Do other glasses do this? I've played with supernova but haven't gotten this kind of WOW...any ideas?
Cara

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2010-10-01, 3:20pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

O.M.G. Someone tell me there will be more of this made. I always miss out. *cry*

Traci I especially love the 2nd bead where you got the haze effect, that's way cool.

Old 2010-10-01, 8:03pm

Like Cara, I only ordered a 1/4 lb. Haven't used it yet, though. I wish I ordered more.
Everyone's beads are gorgeous, though hats off to Traci for her Terra dots. I may have to delve into my stash and give that combo a try.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2010-10-03, 9:50am

this is what happens when you reduce catalyst heavy, It turns pearlwhite with lots of color around the edges, hard to photograph but its nice irl.

Old 2010-10-03, 9:44pm
Tacki

Whoa stackmyra, that's crazy. I didn't even think of trying that. What a cool reaction. The Aurae beads are way cool, too.

This one has me baffled. It's a base of catalyst, and I had a stormed stringer of a transparent aqua rod, it wasn't labeled but it was either Taxco or Elektra (pretty sure it was Taxco). I twirled the stringer over it, twisting as I went, in all different directions and patterns. It didn't pick up any of the patterns I put on there, but instead made 3 defined rows of aqua, with 2 dark blue rows in between. I didn't layer that stringer on there that way at ALL. Regardless, the effect is pretty neat (it's encased in Aether):

This one has stormed Sissley over it, encased in Aether:

Old 2010-10-04, 3:28am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Just WOW!!! I so need to try this effect. Holy swirls of heavenly goodness I thought I read Hayley say there was a red version of the catalyst glass called "dark ruby" (or something similar) any word? i won't make the mistake of only getting 1/4 pound this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracidawn78 View Post
Whoa stackmyra, that's crazy. I didn't even think of trying that. What a cool reaction. The Aurae beads are way cool, too.

This one has me baffled. It's a base of catalyst, and I had a stormed stringer of a transparent aqua rod, it wasn't labeled but it was either Taxco or Elektra (pretty sure it was Taxco). I twirled the stringer over it, twisting as I went, in all different directions and patterns. It didn't pick up any of the patterns I put on there, but instead made 3 defined rows of aqua, with 2 dark blue rows in between. I didn't layer that stringer on there that way at ALL. Regardless, the effect is pretty neat (it's encased in Aether):

This one has stormed Sissley over it, encased in Aether:

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon