Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-03-01, 1:42am
Bernhard Riegler

Default the zen of boro

I feel strange, when I do my glass. It starts with an idea and when I spark up the torch a certain exitement spreads through me. I am sure my heart beats a little faster. Melting the tip of the rod into a gather, makes me think like in a meditation - I turn it in the flame and try to keep it centered and running true. I am trying to keep things in balance. This is so much like my real life - keeping things in balance and running true. Then I add colour and ideas . . still keeping it running true and balanced, but certain colours have special needs (flame chemistry) and some are stiffer or harder to work with than others . . . and some don't work for me at all. While I work the glass, it is usually so hot, that I can't see the colours in their true form. It is very hard to see truth, when you don't see it in the right stage. Adding a design might bring order or shape to a pendant, but what matters more to me is the final colour. It might be bright and popping in a perfect world, but mostly I wish for more . . . is there ever enough? Is it ever strong enough? Still I try to make it better, stronger and more vibrant - new shapes - new ideas or just some old designs made better with practise. I have favourite designs I always go back to, when I loose my moyo - there is power in repetition - like saying a mandra over and over - it calms the mind - as glass does for me. I like to get in "the zone", work it slowly and enjoy the balance - this must be a kind of meditation. The good thing is, that we have something we made, that will last way past us - kind of like for ever without ever changing - a moment/an idea frozen for ever - I think this makes it very special.

I thought I share this thought with you and wonder if it is the same for you?

If all this is inapropriate to be in the boro room, please tell me and I will delete it - its really more like a blogg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-03-01, 6:59am
Now part of the Dark Side

In a lot of ways it is true for me as well. I find the process of rotating the molten gather quite mezmerizing. Especially once I gotten a technique worked out to the point where it is automatic, like making icicles, and marbles.
Old 2014-03-01, 7:23am
Flamewoman

Bernhard how did you get inside my head? I know exactly what you are talking about.
If my shop becomes a mess, which it does, it effects my creative faculties. If I have problems going on, something that is worrying me or making me sad, everything I make is crap. Why should this be? I know how to melt glass and make very beautiful things, but I can't just "do" it. It comes from some other place that is not inside my body, or even my mind. I don't know really where it comes from but it seems like when all things are in harmony, I can have a really good day at the torch, everything I make is golden. If something is upsetting me, I shouldn't even bother to turn on the torch, everything will be crap.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-03-01, 6:06pm

I find this same sort of meditation while blowing glass and I've noticed that a lot of it comes from the music I am listening to also. Depending on my mood, of course, it changes. But I've noticed that listening to something very instrumental or with a really good beat can be relaxing, meditative, and creative... Beats Antique, Groundation, SOJA, Dixie Witch, Pink Floyd, etc. It's almost as if my hands are involved in a concert, spinning to the music, becoming part of it for just a little while.
Old 2014-03-01, 7:26pm
Flamewoman

I know what you mean Christy, music has always been very important to me.
I listen to Sirius radio and keep it on the Coffee House, I love that type of music for glass melting. I also love no commercials, and I don't have to get up and change the CD's.
Best addition I have made to my studio in a few years.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-03-01, 8:35pm

Agree! It is very Zen. But I do find I cant work if I am going into the studio mad or upset just cant do it....but once I calm enough to start up I feel so much better!

Old 2014-03-02, 5:02am
Now part of the Dark Side

I agree with the emotional state too. And I do my best work very early inthe morning, usually before dawn. If I'm out of sorts I can't even do prep work, and I need an organized work space too.
Old 2014-03-17, 7:55am
kiwi ( new zealand)

Bernhard is ok if i post this to my fb page i will tag u in it?

Geoffery Bunker Glass artist
Live Stream

octarockstudio= octopuss sit on a rock studio
Old 2014-03-17, 9:38am
Hobby Junkie

It is similar with me too