Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-12-17, 8:04pm

Default annealing temperature striking glass

I have made some beads from striking glass. It says I need to anneal these at 1050 F for at least 15 minutes. Can I do this with my regular beads also?

In other words, can I put all my beads in the kiln and anneal at 1050 F?

Thanks for your response

Bob Keyes

There is no more powerful cleaning fluid than the spit from your Mother's tongue.
Old 2013-12-17, 8:05pm
Loving learning

I'm guessing you're speaking about boro?
Old 2013-12-17, 8:10pm

Sorry Eileen. No, it is soft glass. 104.

Bob Keyes

There is no more powerful cleaning fluid than the spit from your Mother's tongue.
Old 2013-12-17, 8:36pm
da General

Which 104 striking glass that requires annealing at 1050F? The only one I can think of is Pandora ... recommended at 1000F.

If that's the case, make your beads with Pandora at the beginning of your torching session, anneal them at 1000F for however long it takes to get colors, lower the temp to your regular garaging temperature, make the rest of your 104 coe beads, anneal normally after you finish your last bead.

Remember that to maximize the color bloom of Pandora, you do not want to flame strike your beads. The beads going into the kiln should be the same color as the Pandora rod color.

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2013-12-17, 8:37pm

In my experience, unless you have a glass that is a kiln-striking glass, 1050F is way too hot, and you will end up with baby-poo colored glass. Most striking glass does not like too much heat, or it will overstrike in the kiln. I anneal all my glass at a temp of 920F but hold it there for 1 1/2 hours and then ramp down really slowly - but the colors I see going into the kiln are the colors that come out.
That being said, Double Helix has a couple of glasses that need a higher temp in the kiln to strike properly - that may be what you have.

Old 2013-12-18, 7:46am

OK. My mistake. The recommended temperature is 1000 to 1025. It is Striking Color from Artfire. Sorry for the mistake and thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

Bob Keyes

Old 2013-12-18, 8:08am
da General

Which of Brad's glass are you annealing at 1000/1025? He normally recommends annealing StrikingColor silver glass at 920F.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-12-18, 12:05pm

DKRU9033 StrikingColor Experimental Glass

Bob Keyes

Old 2013-12-18, 12:06pm

From his website:
Annealing DKRU9033 glass at the normally recommended StrikingColor annealing temperature of approximately 920F will minimize any color change in the annealer, but will also usually prevent the glass from striking to red. This glass needs to be struck at roughly 1000F or more for at least 15 minutes in order for the red color to show properly, although this is just a rough guideline as the heating characteristics of different annealers can vary considerably. If you garage your beads prior to the final annealing, it may possible strike at a lower temperature.

Bob Keyes

Old 2013-12-18, 12:27pm
da General

Thanks for posting that - I didn't realize Brad made a kiln striking glass. So my suggestion in the above post should work for you but I'd recommend making a test bead and annealing at your regular temperature to see how much colors you get since sometimes kilns do run hot and you don't want to slump your bead in case your kiln does run hot.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-12-18, 4:23pm

No, thank you and everyone who responded. Just love the color obtained. Hope I can get it to look that good.

Just downloaded your #1 and #2 silver tutorials. Can't wait to get into them.

Bob Keyes