Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-12-21, 4:14pm

Question Goldstone

Hi
Can you use goldstone beads to make goldstone stringers?
Thanks
Penny
Old 2013-12-21, 4:50pm
Melody of Glass

Yep.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-21, 5:01pm
Remember to keep smiling

goldstone can be pretty shocky I would try encasing with clear before pulling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRA#P109
Old 2013-12-21, 5:39pm

Hi
Thanks for the info.
Penny
Old 2013-12-21, 8:49pm

Be careful with some of the goldstone beads as they can be encased in resin. Ask me how I know?!?

LynieG
Old 2013-12-21, 11:20pm
Wonder-wench

is there a way to tell when you are looking at it if it's encased in resin?

Old 2013-12-21, 11:27pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Years ago I found a couple broken goldstone tiles at a scrap place - they worked great!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2013-12-22, 6:24am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaP View Post
goldstone can be pretty shocky I would try encasing with clear before pulling.
A very thin layer of clear works best. I use Zephyr and because it's so soft it eay and fast to encase the piece of goldstone.
Old 2013-12-22, 6:31am

I got goldstone chunks in an exchange and learned to gather on a big rod of clear and smoosh them in (smoosh is the technical term ) and then pull stringers when I get enough in there!

PEACE ON EARTH
Old 2013-12-22, 6:41am
state-eternal change

Yep, I've heard that you can use beads, but I haven't tried it myself. You must encase goldstone if you want to use it in a bead (if you hit it with a lot of heat the sparkly color will cook out and go poopy). Try encasing with different dark transparents for interesting effects too! It helps to use punties (shorter bent 1/8" mandrels work well) to pull the goldstone into stringer, as it is a very stiff material. You run the chance of really melting your handles before the gather is soft enough to work if you use glass rods for the handles. So worth the effort - it is incredibly sparkly compared to the commercial stuff!

Old 2013-12-22, 7:14am
Pugs rule

I use beads for the stringer, just make certain to preheat them or they shatter everywhere. I bought 6mm cubes, I don't think I would anything any bigger.

Old 2013-12-22, 11:57am

Yep, this works really well for the blue goldstone beads also.

Old 2013-12-22, 1:25pm
Slogan Challenged...

The hole will make it shocky. Break it into chunks beforehand so that the hole doesn't break the bead when you heat it, or worse, that you encase a tube of air. I have used these a lot before I got the powder, and they otherwise work fine. Have fun.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-12-22, 4:41pm

I've used beads. I preheat them and then carefully introduce to the flame