Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-11-01, 9:42am
**Fuzzy Logic**

Default Effetre Sunset Help?

I give up!
Can anyone shed any light on how to use this glass & make it look decent? I have searched here, and found the lovely Goddess beads by Joy, but how do you get such beautiful colors other than sculpture? Does anyone have any tips?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FB friends
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-11-01, 11:12am
Slogan Challenged...

Depends on what you mean by decent - that can be a matter of taste. A lot of the Sunset beads I have seen were etched, which would lighten it and show off the colors so maybe it is a bit dark?

For more swirls of color and that sort of thing, heat, flatten, fold, twist and pull the paddle (without blending everything together). You could also just use thinner wraps from the rod and go all over the bead with it.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-11-01, 12:13pm

I cant use this glass either - I bought some but all I can get it to do is turn pink. I cant get the nice orange colour to come through at all.

I gave up on it long ago so will be interested if anyone comes up with any tips.

Danielle x
Old 2014-11-01, 12:40pm
Slogan Challenged...

Sunset or sunset rose? The original sunset is orange. I haven't seen that used too much.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-11-01, 1:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearyboo View Post
all I can get it to do is turn pink.

Danielle x
So, exactly what did you buy and where and when? And do you have photos to show? I avoided buying it because I thought it would have too much orange in it. Pinks would be great. Thanks!
Old 2014-11-01, 3:18pm

Use it like a striking color, like corals - it helps bring out more consistent colors in it.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2014-11-01, 4:22pm
Senior Moment

I posted this in the 3D press thread, but am posting here as well; this heart is made with Effetre Sunset, although I'm not sure which as it wasn't marked :

Name:  IMG_7042-001.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  32.1 KB

And I didn't do anything out of the ordinary with it. Wound it on the mandrel as usual, and added more to the areas that didn't fit the mold with the first gather (mostly the lobes of the heart - this is a big press!).

What sort of problems are you having?

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-11-01, 5:02pm
**Fuzzy Logic**

It's just Sunset, and I only ordered it a couple of months ago, while art glass was having their moving sale. The rods are more coral than in the pic, but the bead is pretty accurate.. It's just muddy. Basically I love the inner color, but not that weird outer layer, but that's what I mostly get when I try to work with it.
If it matters, I'm on a hothead, I've tried both propane and mapp with this color.

FB friends
Old 2014-11-01, 5:13pm
Senior Moment

I'm on a hothead too, but only use MapPro; I have to use canisters and propane canisters are just too dirty IMHO. They muddied up everything I had lighter than deep red

Try it again with the MapPro, but this time turn the heat up a tick, and keep the rod end about a half to an inch and a half higher than the bright blue candle coming out of the torch (your sweet spot will depend on how much of a flame you have). And check out these threads for some visuals:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=127106
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh....php?p=4661214
(Looks for DeAnne's aka theglasszone posts; same pics, a little diff info on each).

HTH!
Alli

ETA: Check your torch and make sure a bit of glass isn't stuck in the opening. I've had that happen to me a few times; and it also muddies up the colors.

Old 2014-11-01, 7:23pm

I think I picked up the same Sunset from the art glass sale. Is the outside possibly silver pink? it seems to react differently with other colors. I like it with mosaic green because it makes the border bleed to green (mostly it's so dark it looks black). It makes weird busy dots too.

Wayne
Old 2014-11-01, 7:26pm

Love the heart, Alli. Your embedded bubbles are perfect
Old 2014-11-01, 7:31pm
**Fuzzy Logic**

Thank you Alli! I'll get some MapPro soon and try adjusting the flame and my position in the flame. And thanks for the links, I had seen the second one, but not that first thread. What wonderful information. Thanks for sharing

FB friends
Old 2014-11-01, 7:47pm
Senior Moment

Thanx AL; every once in a while I get it right LOL. And I had no idea about the Mosaic Green with it. I'm color mixing impaired. I am so bad at working out which colors go with others when it comes to glass; I invariably forget which glasses react poorly with others except for the major ones and wind up with poop.

And no worries 2Dogs! Come and visit us in the newbie/intermediate thread

Alli

Old 2014-11-01, 7:58pm

There's certain combinations I keep retrying and getting the same bad results (isn't that the definition of crazy?). Mosaic green on ivory for example.
Old 2014-11-01, 8:05pm
Senior Moment

LOL Me too. In my case I think it comes from drawing and painting. My brain insists certain color glasses will work together or next to each other (like yellows next to turquoises) even tho they certainly don't, because in my initial artistic experiences they worked great!

Old 2014-11-02, 6:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriB View Post
So, exactly what did you buy and where and when? And do you have photos to show? I avoided buying it because I thought it would have too much orange in it. Pinks would be great. Thanks!
Haha! I bought it second hand from someone over on Frithappens. Its just regular sunset and I didn't work it any differently. I just melted it in a neutral flame and got pink with a dash of orange, then I tried turning my oxygen up and got nothing. Propane up, oxygen down, still not got anything.

I will have another go at it. I quite like the sound of it with mosaic green...

Danielle x
Old 2014-11-02, 8:05am

A quick color test bead. sorry for the poor pics but you get the idea. beginning to look a lot like xmas seems if you pull the sunset thinner (like a stringer) you get nicer streaking. the mosaic green also causes it to segment which i love

Old 2014-11-02, 8:35am
**Fuzzy Logic**

Thanks AL, I like how it breaks up with the Mosaic Green. I'm planning on getting some of that glass the next time I place an order! In the mean-time I'm going to try to the stringers and heating them differently.

FB friends
Old 2014-11-04, 9:08pm
**Fuzzy Logic**

I just want to thank everyone for all of the help! I pulled some stringers and worked much farther out in the flame. They are tiny little tests, but I finally have the colors I want!!

Thank you!!

FB friends
Old 2014-11-05, 5:31am

nice. you got more red out of it than I've been getting. grrrr
Old 2014-11-05, 10:29am
**Fuzzy Logic**

Well, I only got the red on one of the beads.. And I made the two a little differently, and like a fool I can't remember which was which. I'm planning on playing with it a bit more tonight and actually remember what to do so I have a chance of replicating the results!! I'll let you know when I do

FB friends
Old 2014-11-05, 4:48pm
Senior Moment

That's a big difference 2dogs! Hope you remember which technique was which LOL

Alli

Old 2014-11-05, 6:52pm
Wonder-wench

I got the best colors (orange/cream) from it when I worked it sort of cool, any areas that needed a long time and/or heat tended to get a muddy, almost gray color.

Old 2014-11-05, 7:35pm
**Fuzzy Logic**

After playing with it a little bit tonight, the super red color involves thin stringers, the outer edge of the flame and once I have it soft, I raked the goopy glass beads with a piece of the stringer, which pulled the red out of the center also. I'm quite happy now!! Thank you all

FB friends
Old 2014-11-06, 6:57am

Can't recall where i read this, but i saw a tip to warm the end of the rod and cut it down the middle, letting the two halves fold back over on themselves. Essentially bringing the inside color to the outside. I have yet to try it, but sounds like a good idea.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2014-11-09, 11:23am

Playing today. dark transparent blue, sunset dots (directly from the rod), pale transparent blue on top. I think it's pretty if you're looking for irregular shaped dots. The transparent on top really spread the red

Old 2014-11-09, 2:34pm
**Fuzzy Logic**

Oh! That's very nice!!

FB friends