Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-07-11, 7:40am

Question Gold foil stringer

Applying gold foil or leaf to small spots can be a pain. Does anyone know or have tried encasing gold with clear and pulling out to a stringer? It might make some cool looking dots or trails. Could be an interesting affect if it could be a stringer you could draw with. I know you can get the gold color by encasing silver foil with certain transparent colors, but I thought if gold could be encased with clear it could be on top and you wouldn't have to worry so much about reactions. I'd love to hear any thoughts even if it's to tell me that it isn't doable or would be a waste of metal.

Andrea
NE Missouri
Old 2016-07-11, 10:16am

I've tried gold leaf stringer and it didn't work for me at all. Kinda just disappeared when encased and pulled. Is pulling your own goldstone an option for you? Different colors of encasing it can change the color of it from more coppery to more goldish. A very pale, light green is nice to make it more gold. It's kinda crappy for dots though, ime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-07-11, 11:02am

I kind of figured that if their wasn't much talk about it then it was not thought of as a worthwhile pursuit or was considered too to wasteful or expensive a use for gold foil. I use goldstone, but I was thinking about a less glittery effect. Something smoother in color. I think Gold is a beautiful look, but silver seems to give more bang for the buck with all the reactions it brings out in so many kinds of glass. Probably the best use for the gold is the look that artists like Leah Fairbanks achieves in her urn beads. Truly works of art that go to another level.

Andrea
NE Missouri
Old 2016-07-11, 12:13pm

It seems if you applied the gold and then pulled the stringer, the gold would get too stretched out. Maybe if you started with a commercially pulled stringer and the applied the gold? Or pull a flat ribbon then apply gold?
Old 2016-07-11, 4:52pm

I tried the gold stringer thing many years ago, have no idea where the bead is, but used it over emerald green transparent. You could barely see the gold stringer and there was a 'lot' of gold in it. Don't waste your metal leaf.
Old 2016-07-11, 8:10pm

I only have one book of gold leaf, the rest are foil, but I'm assuming the result would be the same either way. So I will stick with playing with the silver in stringer. Is it better to cover the gold with a clear or light transparent rather than leave it on top uncovered? I worry that even with good burnishing it will eventually get rubbed off.
Next silly question...Anyone have tips on using Palladium? Any good glass colors to use it with? Does it make a good stringer like silver does? Mostly is there anything to avoid? Thanks for any tips you can offer.

Andrea
NE Missouri
Old 2016-07-11, 9:07pm
Fried Cat

One of the Japanese Tonbo-Dama DVDs has this technique.

Basically, clear paddle. Two sheets of gold leaf on each side of the paddle. I think you twist and blend, flatten into a paddle again. Two more pieces of gold leaf... Twist and blend, two more.

Total of 6 pieces of heavy leaf. LOTS and LOTS of gold. But the bead was beautiful.

eta: Oops! I thought I saw Sam's screen name. I looked wrong. None the less! I have the Japanese Tonbo-Dama dvd with this technique, if you're interested. I can ship it to you. I'm finished with it and there isn't really much more I can get out of it. Are you in RAOGK?

I received it from jplampwork.com

Last edited by SGA; 2016-07-11 at 9:11pm.
Old 2016-07-11, 11:23pm
Slogan Challenged...

Gold dichroic might also be an option (to encase and pull into stringer), also silver dichroic for the silver - IMO silver foil does not make a nice stringer either, just useful for reactive glasses and effects, not for the silver look.

Palladium, it is much better on the surface if you like the oil slick colors you can get from repeated strikes. It is silver when encased so I would say just use silver foil instead if you want the silver.

Copper foil is also interesting to play with, there are some great tips about the special effects you can get putting it over white enamel, and using with silver foil too. There were a couple of threads somewhere here.

Have fun.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-07-12, 5:55am

Shardi thank you for the suggestion about the foil. I would LOVE to see the DVD. My address is in RAOGK. If you are able to send it to me please allow me to send a thank you gift and let me know when and how to return it.

Andrea
NE Missouri
Old 2016-07-12, 6:19am

Kristin thank you for the tips about working with the Palladium. About all I had read was that it didn't burn off easily like silver. I wondered what the method was for getting the oil slick colors. You get them in and out of the flame, not when annealed in the kiln? Do you think it could be used in some way to make shards? Scattered touches of oil slick color on an organic design bead could be a sort of geode looking bead maybe.

Andrea
NE Missouri
Old 2016-07-12, 6:25am
Slogan Challenged...

On the Palladium, it would actually be reducing, sorry. I don't know about shards. Sounds like you are ready for some playtime!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-07-12, 6:50am

Kristin I would love to have someone to pair up with sometime, but I haven't found any people or groups closer than St L and that's an hour and a half drive. There are so few openly artistic people in this small area that they kind of look at me sideways and back away slowly already. LOL They see my wall to wall glass torch room and think the mason jars of frit are rock candy. They have asked me what setting on my oven I use. Maybe I'll find someone around Hannibal someday. I just wish they would stop trying to be helpful by bringing me old window glass to use in my work. It least they understand a little about the stained glass work. DH loves his job so we will be here a while longer, then it will be rear view mirror time hopefully.

Andrea
NE Missouri
Old 2016-07-12, 9:52am
Slogan Challenged...

Haahaha!

If it helps, many of us learned alone, although it's okay to long for a community of artists! But, it is not necessary. At least they take an interest and are not calling the fire department on you

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2016-07-12 at 1:47pm.
Old 2016-07-12, 1:29pm

No, they called the fire dept, city manager, and police chief when I started a straw bale garden in the parking lot behind one of the buildings we own. They had a hard time accepting that a sopping wet bale of straw was not combustible. If they understood what I do at all they probably would keel over in a faint. The town motto seems to be "Good Enough". period. Best thing I can say about this place is that it is way too boring to be dangerous. Most exciting thing lately was when the former state rep's law office building had an outer brick wall collapse at 2 in the morning. I know what time it was because it woke me up one block away. So I guess the isolation actually lets me concentrate. I might just go check out the glass society that meets in St Louis once a month. Hate traffic....

Andrea
NE Missouri