LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-11-03, 9:49pm

Default Vinyl Record Bowls - putting a new spin on old records!

By a request from the Bathroom, here's my take on a cool craft you might like to try.
This is a fun project that is quick and easy, draws customers in and sells well at craft shows.... Vinyl record bowls!

I did not invent this, but received one as a gift many many years ago, loved it, and by trial and error, found what works for me. (This was pre-google days for me anyway)

Source scratched and damaged records from yard sales, goodwill, etc. The melting process will smooth out most scratches and make for a nice looking bowl.

I put a glass bowl upside down in my oven, set at 200°. Just takes about 3-4 minutes to slump over the bowl. I pull it out and push it down in a colander to shape it, and most of the time it shapes itself well. Sometimes you have to work with it... just work fast. It sets up in about a minute. If you don't like the shape, you can always heat it up again and give it another go.

The older thick records (like victrola) don't do as well, nor do they sell well. I've never noticed any smell, except from the thick ones, which i don't use.

I don't seal the labels with anything, though I've thought about it. However, I only sell them for $5 each, so not worth the effort really. I advise placing a napkin or coffee filter in it to protect the label if you use it for chips or popcorn. And just wipe with a damp cloth. But they can be used for so many things beyond food. One of my favorite sales was to a lady decorating for her high school reunion... She used them as center pieces with a candle in it.

They are a great conversation piece at shows, and often people who are about to walk on by "another jewelry vendor", will stop, smile, grab their friends, talk about them, then start looking closer into your booth, and come on in. I also enjoy watching parents try to explain to young kids what a record is. One young girls looked in awe and said "there's a CD in there?!" And bonus: I almost always earn my booth fee back with these record bowls!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2016-11-03, 9:53pm
Slogan Challenged...

pics! and cool, thanks for the idea.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-11-03, 9:59pm

Only pic I have handy... Will try to find better, but this will give you an idea
Attached Images

Old 2016-11-04, 7:29am

Does the paper label burn off in the kiln or do you replace it with something else after the bowl is made?
Old 2016-11-04, 8:02am

Oh, don't put them in the kiln! Just your regular oven. The paper label will not burn at 200 degrees

Old 2016-11-04, 12:45pm

so...to answer the question of how to seal the labels - consider this!

https://www.amazon.com/Mod-Podge-Dis...ords=mod+podge

However - having said that - I do not know if the dishwasher gets too hot to put these in there BUT - this stuff makes the label waterproof so you can at least wash by hand without worry

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2016-11-04 at 12:47pm.
Old 2016-11-04, 4:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaglass View Post
so...to answer the question of how to seal the labels - consider this!

https://www.amazon.com/Mod-Podge-Dis...ords=mod+podge

However - having said that - I do not know if the dishwasher gets too hot to put these in there BUT - this stuff makes the label waterproof so you can at least wash by hand without worry
Very cool! Didn't know they even made dishwasher proof! Thank you!

Old 2016-11-05, 4:59pm

Thank you for putting this here, I just remembered to look.
Old 2016-11-05, 11:23pm
Slogan Challenged...

ah ok, for some reason I couldn't picture how they turn out. Wavy makes sense. yeah, that would be neat for parties.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-11-17, 7:48pm
Queen of the milo field

DH & I gave this a try tonight. Fairly rapid learning curve, fun to do. The first ones were wonky, but as Trish said all we had to do for a re-try was pop them back into the oven. We tried several different sized bowls & a colander for shaping & had more luck w/a big old mixing bowl.

They sparked several ideas from him for other possible uses. If we can figure out the 'hows'

There is a definite odor, so it's something that may need an open door/a bit of ventilation if your nose is sensitive.

Thanks Trish, that was fun! And the Sound of Music has never looked better

dj
Old 2016-11-18, 7:55am

Love this idea.... just wondering if the odor would stay in the stove oven and effect other food when used... or are you talking about using a separate stove oven for this as if I used the regular stove my DW may castrate me as I am still on probation since I melted one of her nice antique dish that had a chip in it.. Note to other spouses: Don't touch DW's dishes or anything else that belongs to her..
Old 2016-11-18, 1:33pm

I've never noticed much smell unless the records were musty to begin with or the older thick kind. We've continued to use it for regular food, and aside from growing an extra toe on my left foot, everything is normal! 😉

Old 2016-11-18, 6:11pm

Nice....Extra toes.... no more snowshoes in the winter: lol:
Old 2016-11-22, 4:24am

What kind of things do people use them for? Eating? What about the little hole?

Do you use them for displaying your beads at all?

I have a purse I purchased that one side is the album cover the other side the album. Kinda heavy and stiff but a conversation piece for sure!

Kristin
Old 2016-11-22, 8:52am

If you are going to put chips or popcorn in them, I always suggest a coffee filter or napkin to protect the label. But you could put wrapped candy, like hershey kisses in them… remote controls, keys, bracelets. One friend in a band, has a music themed bathroom, and said he uses his record bowl for Q-tips. I guess it’s for whatever you can think of.

I’ve also made them into clocks… without melting them of course. The hole is already there, and the clock parts aren’t that expensive. I collect colored vinyl albums and have a green Harper Valley PTA album that is my clock in my craft room.

Old 2017-06-26, 5:27am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

No photos yet - I haven't unpacked my trailer - but I did these for the Old Songs traditional music festival this weekend, and did well with them. One woman bought ELEVEN bowls, I had to give up one of my banker's boxes to pack them for her!

The other cool thing I tried - I think it was also Trish's idea - that worked well:

I own a Cinch binder machine, and had a huge box of the binding wires and coils, picked up on clearance awhile back. I also have tons of paper that I was given when a friend who managed a print shop asked if I wanted any of the shelves upon shelves of "cut offs" - the parts trimmed off when they make something like pamphlets - or special order papers that they bought in bulk and didn't use all of.

I cut the album covers up, and made small, medium, and large notebook/journals out of them. Since the binder wires are made for scrapbooking, they're 12" long; I was using 9" lengths for the larger journals, which left a perfect 3" piece for small notebooks.

I ended up with very little scrap out of the whole process - I even used the liners as bags for single bowl purchases. And probably 75% of the folks who bought a bowl picked out other pieces as well once they were drawn into the booth.

The ONLY downside - the bowls are bulky. They don't nest really well, you need to have room to transport them.

https://www.amazon.com/We-Memory-Kee...s=cinch+binder

L-111

Last edited by eregel; 2017-06-26 at 5:30am.