Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-05-29, 6:26pm
HourGlass Studio

Default 24 Karat dots

Are they really gold or a reaction with glass to achieve the "Look" of gold dots.

I see this in a lot of bead auction lately....so hows it done.

Is it like fuming ???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Laurie L; 2006-05-29 at 6:52pm.
Old 2006-05-29, 6:56pm

Hi Laurie,
I think what you're seeing is the iris gold frit pulled into a stringer? I usually start with a clear rod, add the frit in 3-4 dips on the gather I make and then pull it into stringer... apply my designs and then used a reducing flame. I usually leave my oxy as it is and just add the propane for a large busy flame to reduce it to the beautiful metallic color your seeing! Good luck and I hope this is what you're looking for. Shari Barry, Maya Designs
Old 2006-05-29, 8:16pm
Ruri Glass Studio

I haven't seen the eBay beads you are talking about, but Beth Williams who has been making gold dots for years uses 24K gold wire.
Old 2006-05-29, 8:16pm
Student of DachZen

Some folks actually have gold metal dots on their beads. JCHerrell has had some like that. I don't know how she got them on there, but I suspect she used solid gold wire, like one would use fine silver wire to put silver dots on things.

Old 2006-05-29, 9:22pm
HourGlass Studio

Yeah the dots I am seeing say 24 Karat dots...went and checked some of JC's and they the same....Hmmmm I wonder how its done. Not that I have the money to invest in gold also but curious for the future.

Old 2006-05-30, 12:51pm
Viking Flame Keeper

You could also paint on dots on the bead with liquid gold (same stuff as is used for china painting). It has to be fired in a kiln to be gold in colour, when it's painted on it kinda looks like soy sauce.

I'm not sure if that really would qualify as 24k gold though. Does nyone else know?

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2006-05-30, 5:07pm
HourGlass Studio

Thanks Kikki

Old 2006-06-10, 6:46pm
Yup.

Hi, guys! I just happened upon this thread hunting for info on metals.

The 24 K gold dots I use (which I was inspired through Jude Rose) are from 24 K gold wire that I use just like silver. Using 24 K results in awesome shiny dots. Less than 24 K makes em not so shiny! Hope that helps.

~
~
Old 2006-06-10, 7:49pm
HourGlass Studio

Thanks JC !!

Old 2006-06-11, 8:07am
Viking Flame Keeper

Are the dots secure, JC, or do they pop off easily?

Old 2006-06-11, 3:46pm
Entropy increasing....

You can buy iris gold stringer from Frantz and stringer and rods from Olympic Color Rods. You can get silver blue and copper ruby and raku and iris black...why do the firt thingy if you don't have to?
Old 2006-06-11, 3:47pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHerrellGlass
Hi, guys! I just happened upon this thread hunting for info on metals.

The 24 K gold dots I use (which I was inspired through Jude Rose) are from 24 K gold wire that I use just like silver. Using 24 K results in awesome shiny dots. Less than 24 K makes em not so shiny! Hope that helps.
I wondered if you could do this. I thought copper ones would be cool, too.
Old 2006-06-12, 10:02pm
HourGlass Studio

I Pm'ed JC and asked how to do the dots here was here answer - she asked if I could post it here for everyone to see and learn from. JC - you rock !!!

I'm glad to share, Laurie! The whole dot is gold. I put it on right in the flame, just like I would a glass dot. The gold wire will ball up and then you just touch the ball onto the glass and it will generally stick so you can just pull the wire away. If it doesn't stick, the glass needs to be hotter.

I use 24 K gold so there's no black scum or haze. There might be with lesser karats, but I don't know about that. The only place I know of to get the gold wire is at Rio Grande. It's big money, though.

If you could copy and post this reply in the thread, I would really like that! I always figure that if one person is wondering, more are wondering the same thing.

Pura vida!
JC

Old 2006-06-13, 7:28pm
It's time to sparkle

Hi guys-
I came across this thread and thought I'd put my two cents in. I use 24K gold wire all the time. The gold dots can pop off, but it's pretty unusual as long as the glass has gotton hot. The gold melts at a lower temp than glass, so just a little extra insurance heat on the glass will do the trick.
That fact also helps when a dot goes astray. If you have a very precise torch, you can actually heat the gold dot only and slide it over to it's proper place with a brass tool. If not, no worries-you can still move it over with the tool but you may take a little glass along for the ride.

I've done testing with 22k and it just doesn't stay clean and bright gold. Perhaps a little steel wool might expose the sheen, but IMO it's easier to simply get 22 or 24 guage 24k wire.

A note about the kiln-fired liquid gold and the iris gold. Both will rub off over time with wear. I know this firsthand from my chrysalis-major customer relations nightmare and just want you to know so you don't experience the same issue.

HTH!

Old 2006-06-13, 8:34pm
Student of DachZen

Just wanted to let you folks know that I'm working on a possible bulk buy of both silver mesh and 24K gold wire. I'll post in the Garage when I get all the details worked out. Anyone interested? This way you could get as much or as little as you wanted at the best prices (well, that's sort of relevant, since gold is so sky high right now!)

Old 2006-06-14, 3:44am
Viking Flame Keeper

Thanks Jude!

I'm interested Teresa, but I need to see prices first before I can commit to anything. I'll wait for your post on the buy!

Old 2006-06-14, 6:05am

Teresa, I'm also interested in a bulk wire buy. Thank you.
Old 2006-06-14, 6:18am
Formerly SirWatson

Just so everyone knows...here's another place that sells 24kt gold wire. I bought some not too long ago for fuming.

Sundance Art Glass (look around the middle of the page for the wire)
http://www.artglass1.com/goldsilverr.htm

<><
Old 2006-06-14, 6:24am
yukue fumei

I am in on the bulk buy--sounds cool
Old 2006-06-14, 10:00am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWatson
Just so everyone knows...here's another place that sells 24kt gold wire. I bought some not too long ago for fuming.

Sundance Art Glass (look around the middle of the page for the wire)
http://www.artglass1.com/goldsilverr.htm
Cool, Karla, thanks for the link! I *think* we might be able to get it for less than that on a bulk buy, but I'll have to do the math to be sure.

Old 2006-06-14, 11:19am
Formerly SirWatson

I'd do a bulk buy if it's cheaper!

<><
Old 2006-06-14, 12:51pm

I will hop in for a bulk buy!

Old 2006-06-14, 10:20pm
HourGlass Studio

Oh Yes I would be in for a bulk buy too !!

Old 2006-06-15, 5:55am
yukue fumei

just curious about the reduction luster rubbing off--is there something I can coat it with to protect it from wear? Maybe some kind of lacquer? Or nail polish(or will that yellow and get brittle with time?)?
Old 2006-06-21, 5:01pm
Student of DachZen

Okay, silver mesh and gold wire bulk buy info is in the Garage!

Old 2006-06-22, 2:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Rose

A note about the kiln-fired liquid gold and the iris gold. Both will rub off over time with wear. I know this firsthand from my chrysalis-major customer relations nightmare and just want you to know so you don't experience the same issue.

HTH!
Could you please elaborate more on this? What process are you talking about with the Iris Gold, and why did it rub off? Thanks!
Old 2006-06-23, 2:34pm
It's time to sparkle

Hey Coffeebean-

Well, iris gold gets it's effect by bringing metals to the surface of the glass. This layer is profoundly thin and if, say it was a raised dot bead made into a bracelet with the iris being on the raised part, the metal will eventually rub away. If the iris gold were on the BASE and there was just regular glass raised dots, I bet that iris gold would never rub away.
It's kind of like plated gold or silver. The layer is so thin that it's vulnerable.
Hope that helps.

Great idea on the bulk buy, everyone. Thank goodness the gold prices have been going down for once instead of up up up!