Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: what kind of press do you prefer?
Lentil 49 72.06%
Square 6 8.82%
Oval 1 1.47%
Multi 9 13.24%
none of the above - tell me more? 10 14.71%
whats a press? 1 1.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-06-06, 9:01pm
Unmedicated since '62

Default what press do you prefer

my first poll - be kind

and yes, i do think this might have been done before but there are so many new ones available.

i've decided to lash out and buy some presses - i stuck some questions in the tips section but i really need some concrete input, presses are expensive!

so, what should i start with? i do want a lentil (a biggish one) and i'd like a square and one of the crunch ones, but what do you guys think is ideal to start out with and what brands do you like most?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-06-06, 9:13pm
I'm meeeeelting

I find those that can be used with varying amounts of glass to be the easiest to use -- Cattwalk crunch, Jim Moore Lentil, Jim Moore Pillow Press.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2010-06-06, 9:18pm
I need more boro stuff

I love my Cattwalk's lentil, crunch and button.
Crunch is the easiest to use.

Old 2010-06-06, 10:39pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

Can't live without my Cattwalk button press.

Though my CG disk beadroller is coming in a close second these days.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2010-06-06, 11:02pm
The Queen of Sofa King

Zoozii Kalera XL.

Old 2010-06-06, 11:05pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolS View Post
Zoozii Kalera XL.
thats on my wish list

Old 2010-06-07, 12:05am
doyenne of the homebodies

Cattwalk lentil. I have maybe eight presses and that's the only one I use regularly.

Andrea
Old 2010-06-07, 12:51am
FatCat Mama

Zoozii's Lentil and Straight-Sided-Lentil are my faves

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2010-06-07, 1:07am

Lentil, and the crystal. I also like the zoosiis tab and raindrops.

Old 2010-06-07, 1:29am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri.p View Post
Zoozii's Lentil and Straight-Sided-Lentil are my faves
i like the idea of the straight sided lentil

Old 2010-06-07, 3:03am

Straight sided lentil is lovely and easy to use too

I just got Corina's smallest bead shaper and that has not left my hand for 10 days straight now

I must admit I really like the crystal and nugget too ( zooziis)

On my wish list now is a large lentil

Oh and the cattwalk tube marver has many uses as well
Old 2010-06-07, 3:22am
Most have those beadies

I'd go for a Straight Sided Lentil if I were you.
Wonderful shape and very easy to use.

my
my

my
my

Old 2010-06-07, 5:12am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I love my big cattwalk lentil for focals, and the small 3 pillow press because it lays nicely on a wrist. The smaller lentils lay nicely on a wrist too, but my CG rtoller is getting a LOT of use these days and I want another one and another one...

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-06-07, 6:03am
Hobby Junkie

I love my Zooziis straight sided lentil!!!!!!

Old 2010-06-07, 6:43am
Button Queen

I use my Zoozii Straight Sided Lentil and the Kalera XL all the time.

Next favorite is the Special Nugget.

Then the Medium Plus Duo.
Old 2010-06-07, 10:17am

I find Zooziis Nuggets (all sizes) the easiest to use and love the shape on bracelets. I also like my Zooziis straight sided slim lentils.
Mary T.

Old 2010-06-07, 11:03am
Booger #7

I love my Zoozii's lentils (all the sizes) and the straight sided lentil and Kalera the most. I like the feel of all of those beads in bracelets and necklaces...they are slim and comfy to wear and I like that!

Old 2010-06-07, 11:29am
one day at a time

I got a custom made press from Coon Valley on ebay, and this one has the crunch/squeeze in two sizes. I got it custom made because I wanted mine to be thicker at 8mm rather than the 6mm in other crunch/squeeze presses out there.
Old 2010-06-07, 2:30pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Cattwalk button, dual crunch, and elongated crystals....when they can pull me away from my cgbeadrollers which is less and less these days, I my beadrollers.

Old 2010-06-07, 2:42pm
Type ZZZ personality

Zoozii's straight sided lentil, then the Zoozii's Kalera. I like to get the trio and a larger one.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2010-06-07, 6:23pm
Burning through glass

Aw Deb, yer gonna have fun with your press(s)!

I think my first "press" was actually a patty masher from ABR. I just made a barrel type bead and mashed it to the flattish focal shape I wanted. Worked really well, and I'm a stubborn artists and didn't want to change a thing, that was a year ago. Then decided to get some of the tong style mashers....which are still ok, but still pretty loose in shape. I wanted a more "defined" shape, so I got a catwalk lentil which is 1.25", and it took forever for me to warm up to but I'm soo in love with it. It's a little intimidating getting the shape and quantity of glass on that mandrel, but once you do some tests, you get the hang of it. Then I recently got a Zoozii xl Kalera that I'm loving too, I kinda wish it was just a tad wider and/or maybe a little skinnier but it's still a really nice focal. It's tricky, heck so was the lentil at first, but I love love love it. I just ordered a custom 1.75" skinny-ish lentil from David at Coon Valley and I'm anxiously awaiting it's completion. Yeah, that's gonna be a big one.

I'm always surprised how "big" the beads turn out compared to what the first impression is of the press, even the itty bitty ones on the trio set I have. Just have some fun!!

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2010-06-07 at 6:26pm.
Old 2010-06-08, 4:42am
Unmedicated since '62

i've never heard of Coon Valley - i'll go and google it

Old 2010-06-08, 7:18am
Ellyloo-YAH!

I LOVe lentils--but for the life of my I can't use a press right. Practice practice, I know... *sigh*

Old 2010-06-08, 11:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Louisa View Post
I'd go for a Straight Sided Lentil if I were you.
Wonderful shape and very easy to use.
Yep and sit well too

I love the crystal press.

Old 2010-06-09, 10:39am

I have a few and my current favorite is Zooziis crystal duo, followed by the XL thin Kalera (which I use as a crunch - I think random crunch shapes are more appealing than the actual rectangle shape of the press). I also like the straight sided lentil.

The only brass presses that have frustrated me are the ones that are symmetric around the mandrel - discs, rounds. IMO a graphite roller or marble mold would be better for those.

Old 2010-06-09, 11:22am
too many rods in the fire

I have quite a few presses, but find I only use three of them! The Zoozii's straight sided lentil in size Large+ is my go-to lentil. It's an inch across, so a good sized lentil, but I make big beads, so the size is perfect for me.

I also use the heck out of my Cattwalk Crunch press - I think I have the Wide #2. They are all good, it just depends on how fat a bead you want.

The other press I use constantly isn't a specific shaped press - which is why I love it so much! Very forgiving, as you can use any size or shape gather in it. It's the Tabulator. Basically, a much nicer version, imo, of a pair of hand held mashers. The beauty of it is you can vary the thickness of the press and your beads by adding little "tiles" to the sides, thus changing the depth of the press. It is wonderful for any shape bead that you want flattened a bit.

I have a bunch of other presses sitting here collecting dust. Someday, I will either force myself to start using them, or - more likely - post them in the garage...

Old 2010-06-09, 12:30pm
Formerly Sassygirl

I will second Coon Valley presses! They are sturdy, easy to use and cost less than other presses. I love my huge focal lentil and would never give it up.

Old 2010-06-09, 5:51pm
Unmedicated since '62

i asked this in the other thread - is there a square or rectangle with an off centre hole for making pendants?

Old 2010-06-09, 8:39pm

Zoozis has an unflippable one, but it uses curved mandrels

http://www.zooziis.com/unflippable.aspx

have no idea how difficult it would be to

a: wind glass on a curved mandrel
b: how hard it is to get off mandrel

Deb btw on the Aussie Beadmakers Guild Forum there has been set up a brass press llibrary for Aussies

http://forum.aussiebeadmakers.com/vi...php?f=73&t=705

Last edited by stephl; 2010-06-09 at 8:40pm. Reason: pasted wrong url
Old 2010-06-09, 8:42pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephl View Post
Zoozis has an unflippable one, but it uses curved mandrels

have no idea how difficult it would be to

a: wind glass on a curved mandrel
b: how hard it is to get off mandrel

Deb btw on the Aussie Beadmakers Guild Forum there has been set up a brass press llibrary for Aussies

i saw the curved one - thats not what i want

yeah, someone sent me an email from ABM with a link to that but for some reason i cant log in and when i ask for a new password nothing happens - weird