AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What type of a studio set up do you have?
In Home/not insured 64 28.44%
In Home/insured 50 22.22%
Metal shed bldg./insured 5 2.22%
Metal shed bldg./not insured 3 1.33%
Wood shed bldg./insured 10 4.44%
Wood shed bldg./not insured 11 4.89%
Garage set up/insured 17 7.56%
Garage set up/not insured 38 16.89%
Barn or other out bldg./insured 9 4.00%
Barn or other out bldg./not insured 10 4.44%
Other set up on your property? 14 6.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-04-14, 9:15am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
If you are selling on Etsy, is that considered selling from the home?
I think selling out of your home means people physically coming to your home to purchase. You have an online business which is home based. You have all of the business paperwork with your home address on it.
Someone correct me here if I am wrong or expound...thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by junko View Post
A couple of years ago I got business insurance for my pottery business. We went to an independent agent to totally redo all of our insurance because I was afraid we would get dropped from our current insurance if they knew I had kilns in the house.

Had to have an insurance inspector come and look at the kilns, equipment, etc.

I ended up with the Hartford for my business insurance. Eek! Guess I'll need to do some more research now!
I have the Hartford for our autos. I got it through AARP years ago and still have. They have been okay. Nowadays if anything is working for you....just go with it. But if I WAS LOOKING for new insurance I would go with one of the top rated companies.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-04-14 at 6:09pm.
Old 2011-05-13, 7:59am

Default insurance for garage with natural gas

Thank you Lorraine, this thread has been incredibly helpful!

does anyone know if it is easier to get insurance coverage if you have natural gas as opposed to propane? i am outside Buffalo, NY

Joan
Old 2011-05-13, 12:10pm
I'm meeeeelting

My insurance agent told me I needed a business policy, so that's what I have. I have a separate studio in my yard. If I wasn't selling at all, I could add it to my homeowner's insurance, if I recall correctly.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-13, 2:35pm

Thanks, Felicia!
Setting up a studio is harder than I thought...We will see how it goes....
Joan
Old 2011-05-13, 6:41pm
I'm meeeeelting

It is hard. I got very bogged down in different details and decisions while doing mine. I'm happier with some of my decisions than others.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-05-14, 5:13am

I am guessing a lot of folks do a separate shed or barn because insurance won't cover a garage?? I live in a suburban town on a little lot with neighbors real close by. The garage is detached from the house , but is still used to store our cars. I was thinking I would just back the cars out and fire up my torch, hah! Not sooo easy.
I am trying to see what other people in WNY have come up with..unfortunately i have got to have insurance. When I lived in NH and was doing this, I don't think we were insured......Different place and different times
Joan
Old 2011-05-14, 11:33am
Chief Creative Goddess

Yikes--now I don't even want to torch today until I check my policy!!

THANKS truly for all the great info though--appreciate all your hard work and harder questions. I will have a great list to ask from because of your efforts!
Smiles, Sheri
Old 2011-05-15, 3:20am

In my experience it is cheaper getting quotes online. Some of the top insurance companies offer discounts when ordering online, because it is less work for them. But to be safe you could compare rates online, pick the best offer and try a local agency to see if they can match it or do better: www.quotes-center.com
Old 2011-09-08, 10:10pm

I was more concerned with liability for shows and for products so I went with this: http://www.actinspro.com/ Plus we have property insurance through another company that I called and told what I was doing. They suggested I get product liability too, which they did not offer, because people are lawsuit happy these days, which is why my hair dryer says not to use it in the shower.

If you get the annual plan, it covers product liability. My stuff in in a shed, I checked metal outbuilding but mine is part glass, and wood with a double work bench fully encased in metal (huge fume cabinet). Propane is outside, like it should be too. I will not torch in my house because I don't want little glass bits getting dragged around by my pets and scratching up my floor or cutting feet.
Old 2011-09-08, 10:14pm

Here is Stratus' main website. http://www.stratusins.com/
Old 2011-10-10, 8:01pm

I don't think my answer would be of much help to anybody else because my situation is a bit unique. Our building is on Main St and was at one time a restaurant in one part of it. Getting insurance was easy for the first floor because A. natural gas versus tanked propane, B. a fire suppression system left from the restaurant (my torch area is in the area that was the kitchen) and C. the fire marshal approved the rewiring and updated safety work my DH did. The PITA part was getting home coverage for the apartment we turned the second floor into for living quarters. Go figure...Even though we are the only occupants in any part of the entire 8,000 square feet of space we easily got coverage as soon as we had the building permitted as condo.
Old 2011-10-10, 10:14pm
Salt Box Beads

Sounds like a terrific setup!
Old 2011-10-11, 4:47am

We're still working on the apartment upstairs. It was a hotel on that side of the building and we still have to work on that side. The building was built in 1883 so you can imagine some of the updating that has to be done. Know anybody who'd like a couple of claw foot tubs for free? We're trying to use as much of original materials as we can, but two tubs are plenty, LOL It's really two buildings that share a roof. My studio is on one side downstairs and we use the other side as gallery space for artists to share and hopefully we can get some classes going. The dream is to get a glass blowing area set up in another building, if we can ever find anyone in the area who'd like to teach in exchange for free use of the facilities.
Old 2011-11-10, 8:07pm
Salt Box Beads

If you weren't in Missouri I would be all over the claw foot tubs..LOL Good Luck and post pics when you can?
Old 2011-11-13, 6:02pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Hi there I am in South Florida and they told me that since I was using equipment that was approved to be in the space I am in (on my back porch) that I was covered under my normal HW policy. If I upgraded to a tanked oxy or a larger "not for home use" oxycon or to a HUGE bulk propane then I would need to pursue a separate policy for "business" related issues- HOWEVER if I move these things indoors or the garage I HAVE to have a policy since those areas are considered high risk. Basically until I move or make more than I am making dollar wise (I do not teach) I do not need an additional policy- My DH is considering having a rider just in case but as it stands now I do not need one- I know that our laws in FL are very different though. In VA where I am from I would have had to have an additonal policy my sister checked for me.

Hope this helps

Old 2012-11-02, 8:21pm

Do keep in mind that insurance laws vary from state to state. And honestly, if you agent told you that it was covered, your insurance company would have to honor the claim, it would simply go onto the agents errors and omissions policy. They won't cover you a second time but if the agent makes a mistake, you are covered. At least in Ohio.

Old 2012-11-03, 1:29pm
ALWAYS SMILES

WOW ! I am one of the ones whose agent said "you are fine and covered".....now I am really wondering if I should dig deeper. My studio is in my finished basement, with ventilation, propane outside, oxycon and kiln inside....I am very careful....but I would hate to have a catastrophe and find out later that there was ZERO COVERAGE ! I sure hope you are right, Sonja !
Old 2012-11-03, 3:33pm
Salt Box Beads

There have actually been quite a few threads of poor lampworking peeps getting immediately cancelled when a torch was mentioned. It is the underwriters that have to give you approval NOT the agents. ASK them to call the underwriters but be prepared that you may be cancelled on the spot.

The underwriters go by set standards and anything labeled open flame such as a torch is a huge red flag to them and usually causes cancellation.

It would be better to be safe than sorry and find out for sure.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-11-03 at 5:20pm.
Old 2013-05-29, 12:28pm
Salt Box Beads

Default Bumping this thread

We have lots of newbies so I am bumping this thread.

There is some very good info here if you plan on torching in your home.
Old 2013-05-29, 2:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
We have lots of newbies so I am bumping this thread.

There is some very good info here if you plan on torching in your home.
Hi Lorraine, great thread. I tried the link to your blog and it does not work. I'll type it in myself but I thought you would want to know.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-08-24, 9:00am
Salt Box Beads

Thanks Bob, I rarely get back to these old threads but I did add a clickable banner for my website below which has a link on the home page to my blog and then from my blog you can go to my handmadeartists boutique.

As you can see I am just dabbling around on the internet. I really prefer show with real people I can talk to you. It is much more fun for me.