No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-25, 11:14am
J R Hooper

Default 104 Kiln Firing Question

I've spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find a reliable kiln scedule for fire polishing 104 coe, finally gave up and figured I'd ask you guys. The pieces I'm polishing are pretty much fused moretti rods, so they react really quickly and my first attempt at polishing them was way too high temp. and a disaster so I'm going to be redrilling my holes this afternoon
Any of you guys have a good firing schedule to fire polish really msall pieces of 104?
Old 2012-11-01, 10:39am
J R Hooper

Bumping this thread to see if anybody has some advice...
Old 2012-11-01, 10:41am
Nikki Haverstock

You might have been luck asking in the Fusing section, I assume this is a fusing question?

Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-01, 10:51am
honorary bead lady

http://fusedglass.org/tools/firing_schedules Of course these are for 90 and 96 but you should be able to adjust these
Old 2012-11-01, 1:08pm

If you could explain what you want to achieve with a fire polish, and what temps failed for you, I might be able to help more. I have 15 years of fusing 90 and 96, but some rules stay the same no matter what glass. It's the temps that will vary - and the kilns.

Barbara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barbara
Old 2012-11-02, 1:02pm

Just a thought but she is probably wanting to either eliminate annoying little tiny thorn like protrusions at the sides or corners, or there may be a little bit of devit that she would like to fire long enough to bring back the glossy wet look to the glass surface.

Andrea
Old 2012-11-03, 1:33am
Artistically Absorbed

Moretti tack fuses around 1310-1325. I would try in this range, it shouldn't take long so watch it and vent to annealing temp quickly after.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-11-12, 12:10am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsincolor View Post
Just a thought but she is probably wanting to either eliminate annoying little tiny thorn like protrusions at the sides or corners, or there may be a little bit of devit that she would like to fire long enough to bring back the glossy wet look to the glass surface.

Andrea
She's a he

1350 I think is where I had it and set it to hold there for five minutes, then I flash cooled to 950 to anneal but it looks like 1350 is going to be too hot. These are real simple crosses I made by dremeling divits in rods and crossing them for a fuse, so they are really small pieces. Maybe 1250, and hold for five?
Old 2012-11-12, 2:52am

Spectrum polishes at 1350, 104 is softer glass. I agree with 1310- 1325 hold 5. I never,ever crash cool, it is hard on your kiln and there is no need of it in a fire polish.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2012-11-12, 8:50am
J R Hooper

I'm redrilling the holes for clasps today, will try firing again at 1310 and see what happens. I've not really had much experience with fusing so I'm kinda learning as I go and there just doesn't seem to be a wealth of information out there for 104 coe.
Thanks for the advice about crash cooling, will definately avoid it in the future.
Old 2012-11-12, 9:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesnbec73 View Post
She's a he

These are real simple crosses I made by dremeling divits in rods and crossing them for a fuse, so they are really small pieces. Maybe 1250, and hold for five?
Part of the problem may be the SHAPE you are going for. You don't want to go for a full fuse as glass will puddle up in its attempt to be 1) round and 2) 1/4" thick.

Go for a schedule to tack fuse only. And don't hold it at that temp. for more than a few minutes...

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2012-11-12, 9:51am
randomly active member

I do a lot of fusing with 104. I fire polish 104 at 1275 for 5 minutes and they always hold their shape pretty well. Any hotter and my holes close in and the edges round out more than I want.

Keep in mind every kiln is different so you will have to tweak and adjust according to your own kiln.
.:.