Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-08-13, 1:11pm
TJ

Default Is Firecheck on a natural-gas torch NECESSARY?

I ordered a Firecheck from Carlisle about 4 months ago, and despite communicating multiple times, they still have no word for me when (if?) I will ever get it sent to me. My torch setup is almost ready to go. My safety question is this: How important is a Firecheck on a gas setup? Crucial? Pretty good idea? Or just an extremely unlikely-to-be-used backup in a very, very rare situation?

IS IT OKAY FOR ME TO RUN MY TORCH (Lucio torch) WITHOUT A FIRECHECK?

A firecheck is similar to a Flashback Arrester for a propane system - or so I am told. I know that a Flashback Arrester is much more crucial to a propane system than a Firecheck is to a natural gas system, but by how much, I am not sure.

It's not just me in my home, it is my daughter and hubby too, so I want to be safe! But I fear I may have to wait indefinitely. I hope very much someone can give me a definitive answer on this.

(Oh, and I have asked around a bit locally about one - no one has the slightest clue what it is when I ask, so I seem to have Carlisle as my only source.)
My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.
Old 2013-08-13, 3:26pm
kinda torching....

I don't know anything about NG but you should be able to find fba at any welding supply store.
Old 2013-08-13, 4:07pm
TJ

NG setups don't need a Flashback Arrester... which I think (correct me if I am wrong) costs three times as much as a Firecheck.
My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.
Old 2013-08-14, 12:59am
TJ

Does anyone know?

If not... does anyone here have a natural gas setup and NOT have a Firecheck? Even if I hear of someone having it without one for years without an issue, that would be somewhat reassuring.
Old 2013-08-14, 7:04am
Gentleman of Leisure

Flashback arrestors WILL NOT work on natural gas.... There is not enough gas pressure at residential supply pressure to open spring loaded check valve in flashback arrestor....

No you do not absolutely need a "firecheck" in NG line... IT only adds another level of safety, generally there is not a real problem with flashbacks when using surface mix torch on a natural gas line.... Not saying it can not happen, but instances of it are rare...

The difference between a flame arrestor is it provides the safety by operating a spring loaded check valve (to close position) in event of flashback... A Firecheck is more like a filter the has a porous substance (screen) that allows gas to flow through it to appliance (torch), but porous substance (screen) has such a small opening in screen material that although gas can flow through a flame can not because a flame front on molecular level is to big to pass through screen....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-08-14, 8:32am
TJ

Thanks, Dale. I will interpret that as "it is okay to go ahead without it". (Don't worry, won't hold ya liable if my house blows up anyways, haha.)

But hopefully Carlisle still comes through at some point and sends one to me, I am all for the extra security and it is only about $30.