Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2019-04-02, 10:22am

Default Knobs

Some years ago I purchased a knob press from zoozii and the necessary knob making rod/parts from a company that I heard about right here on LE. I can't remember the name of the company and can't find my receipt. Anyone know who sells just the threaded rods and "nut" that fits over the rod? Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2019-04-03, 9:42am

Will you be making them directly on the nut (no bead release)? If so, I don't know (and don't recommend it anyway), but there are other alternatives if you'd like to hear them. Don't want to assume.

Old 2019-04-04, 1:51pm

I would love to hear of the other options!!!

Old 2019-04-04, 3:00pm

There are these inserts with screws- https://www.axner.com/threadedinsert...inetknobs.aspx

I didn't get them from Axner, but I'd have no problem buying from them again. I got them from an online ceramic store and they were knurled brass. They looked just like these but were only 35 cents each. https://www.delphiglass.com/casting-...waAiiJEALw_wcB
Can't find them now of course. :/

I made the knobs on the end of either double dipped 3/16" (like for pandora beads) mandrels or just once dipped 1/4" mandrels. Can't exactly remember. Cleaned them and epoxied the inserts in. They've held up well.

Also, if you're in the mood for cab making, these https://www.dlawlesshardware.com/diy...ull-parts.html work great. Rough them and the glass up a bit, epoxy and let set. I have the ones on the top row, but mine have no hole. Guess they got discontinued? Just have to be a little more extra careful with the epoxy. You also don't want to get any epoxy in the interior threads. Ask me how i know.

Old 2019-04-05, 11:05pm
Phill

I think the same people that make the threaded ring "toppers" hardware also make longer threaded inserts for knobs and pulls, but of course I don't remember their name either at the moment.
Old 2019-04-06, 2:26am

Arrow Springs carries the mandrels and threaded inserts.

Perlen Presse in Germany also has somthing very similar (slightly different size) as well as a bodacious selection of bead rollers for knob making.

Old 2019-04-06, 4:17pm

Many thanks everyone!!!

Old 2019-04-08, 9:28pm
Phill

Please come back and teach us what you learn about sources and how well they turn out.

Oh you do know we will 'require' pictures too.
Old 2019-04-08, 9:53pm
Living out Loud

Marj Bates at glassthings.com