No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-16, 2:36am
First bead: 2007-04-28

Default Glow in the dark-powder

I got some glow in the dark powder but I'm not sure how to use it.
Can I roll a clear rod in it and then pull a striger or......?
Any suggestions? I'm not sure what to do with it

Ann
Old 2007-06-16, 3:11am

Ann....you can do exactly what you said. At least I could with what I got. You have to put quite a bit on the rod and then I encased it again pretty thickly before I pulled it out into a stringer. You can also put some down in a small tube if you are playing with boro. I know you can get soft glass tubing as well, I've just never had any. Then you can condense that down around the glow powder and pull it out.

It's interesting stuff. Good luck and I'd like to see what you end up doing with this stuff.
Old 2007-06-16, 5:33am

These are done with stringer pulled from glow powder. I melt a blob of clear, roll it heavily in glow powder and then encase it in my top color. It's pretty sloppy since the encasing glass does not like to stick to the glow powder, so you have to just slop it on. Different colors of the glow powder are brighter than others, the aqua blue glows the brightest for me.

Carol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-06-16, 6:42am
Happiness is....

Wow! That's pretty cool.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2007-06-16, 9:52am

These folks are very knowledgable an helpful with glow in the dark glass products and applications. Joe & Moraine are experts.
http://www.glowglass.org/

Old 2007-06-16, 1:22pm

Thanks for the answers. Those beads are GREAT carol. I think I'll give the glow-in-the-dark-powder a try tomorrow.
Ann
Old 2007-06-16, 4:35pm
Cats & Glass!

Hey! I'm doing the same thing - trying out the glow powder I got when I torch tomorrow. I'll post my results!

Janelle

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2007-06-17, 8:00pm
She better not sell these

Wow! What a great reminder! I bought 4 oz at the Best Bead Show in Tucson, came home, put it away and totally forgot about it!

I have the cobalt/aqua, I am going to melt it now!!

I was going to encase it, mine is more like a frit than a powder, it might be easier to make stringers with.

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2007-06-18, 3:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalflipz View Post
These are done with stringer pulled from glow powder. I melt a blob of clear, roll it heavily in glow powder and then encase it in my top color. It's pretty sloppy since the encasing glass does not like to stick to the glow powder, so you have to just slop it on. Different colors of the glow powder are brighter than others, the aqua blue glows the brightest for me.
Carol
So you make a stringer, using a clear rod and then encase with a transparent top color? Is the top color the same as the color of the powder (I have powder in different colors)? Or?? Sorry these silly Q's, but any help is apprecited.

Ann

Last edited by AnnDK; 2007-06-18 at 3:49am.
Old 2007-06-18, 2:56pm

I've used different colors for my top color, but it's usually one that complements the color of the powder. I'll try and do some tonight and post them tomorrow.
Carol