Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-07-07, 11:58pm
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

Default boro on a minor?

ok, now that i am getting answers on the eye protection issue, the next question to tackle is- what can you do with boro on a minor?..

i'm on a minor with one oxycon, no plans of upgrading a torch (or switching to tanked oxy or both) any time soon.

is anyone here on a minor? can you show things you made with boro on a minor?

thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I
NY
Old 2007-07-08, 5:36am
crabby...who me?

Nevermind.
Old 2007-07-08, 8:08am
yukue fumei

Hi Meitali!
Sure you can do boro on a minor! WOOHOOO!(Mallory even uses a Hot head--which I think is amazing!)
Come on in and join the fun!! There are some people here that use a minor, and a friend of mine makes boro beads and small(less than 1") marbles with a Minor and one oxycon. It is slower than if you have a tank or two oxycons, but it will work! Do you have any boro to test for a neutral flame? That is key in making sure you get nice colors

nagi

Old 2007-07-08, 10:07am
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

good! my soft glass beads and marbles are rarely over 1" anyway!

i don't want tanked oxygen because of price and safety, and i'm happy with my oxycon set up. i am very used to the flame now (i've had a HH for almost a year, and i've had the minor+oxycon for about a year and a half) and the other day i worked on someone's minor with tanked oxy and i just couldn't work, it was too different and i couldn't get used to anything, so i gave up. i don't mind it being slower, because until a new torch is higher up in my wish list (it's really not, right now), i'm planning on only making beads. sure, i would like to be able to make bigger stuff too, but i have other things on my wishlist

what do you mean "... boro to test for a neutral flame"? i don't have any boro yet, i'll be at the ISGB gathering in minneapolis in 2 weeks, and i'm planning on buying protective glasses (i'm not really convinced by the option of only using my ACE...) and some boro there. not many colors, i'll be on a budget, but enough to have fun when i come back home, and if i like it i'll order some more.

but it will be nice to use this opportunity of being in the USA to get some more expensive glass without having to pay for shipping! (besides, you can only get clear boro in israel, to get color's i'd have to order online anyway).

if anyone has any recomendations regarding protective glasses, which rods to buy, any tips on working on the minor, pics... whatever! i'm so stresses because i have SO MUCH to get done before this US trip (my first ever! ) that i am not excited yet! i want to stop worry and start get excited by the upcoming trip!

SO COME ON, SHARE SOME BORO PICS AND GET ME EXCITED ABOUT GOING TO THE STATES!!!

I
NY
Old 2007-07-08, 10:55am
ManBearPig

Oh yeah. We teach our boro classes on minors and concentrators (although there isn't any safety issue with tanked oxygen).

As for colors, the colors I use the most of are Blue Moon, Black Violet, Butterscotch, Elvis, Cobalt, and any of the Amber/Purple type colors.

Or you could just get one of these (please pardon the shameless self promotion): http://www.soleiletlune.com/webstore...age=1&featured

Old 2007-07-08, 12:09pm
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

thanks! and don't worry about the link

are you going to be at the gathering?

also- may i ask what you use for eye protection?

I
NY
Old 2007-07-08, 12:57pm
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

i was reading your site and noticed some colors say that they're not good for stringer work. what does it mean that they're not good for it? the colors don't look good when pulled to thin?..

I
NY
Old 2007-07-08, 1:33pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by meitali View Post
thanks! and don't worry about the link

are you going to be at the gathering?

also- may i ask what you use for eye protection?
No. I wish I was.

I use (and sell) Aura Lens glasses. I have the AGW-250 Shade 4.

Quote:
i was reading your site and noticed some colors say that they're not good for stringer work. what does it mean that they're not good for it? the colors don't look good when pulled to thin?..
Yeah. Some of the colors like light cobalt, light ruby, lavender, etc. lose their color when they are pulled or blown thin.

Old 2007-07-08, 2:35pm
Griffin Park Originals

Quote:
ok, now that i am getting answers on the eye protection issue, the next question to tackle is- what can you do with boro on a minor?..

i'm on a minor with one oxycon, no plans of upgrading a torch (or switching to tanked oxy or both) any time soon.

is anyone here on a minor? can you show things you made with boro on a minor?

thanks!
Here's one I made on a minor... I'm on tanked oxygen. Don't know if that will make a difference or not.

Old 2007-07-09, 10:51am
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

tanja, you sound dissapointed for some reason!.. personally, i like this bead! it looks like you found it in the bottom of the sea!

I
NY
Old 2007-07-09, 11:16am
Griffin Park Originals

Actually I kinda like it now. I am just learning and that was one of my first ones. I did it on a mandrel so there's a hole in an awkward spot and I'm not sure how to hang it as a pendant. I'm used to the Moretti melting together so nice. I'm getting used to the boro more. I ordered a sample pack of Momka's glass so at least I know what the glass is supposed to look like. Right now I'm working with a grab bag of shorts, and it's fun. Except I just don't know how the colors are supposed to turn out. So with no lessons or anything, I'm not sure if I'm working the glass properly. I LOVE the color. If someone can tell me what color they think it is, that would be cool because I'd for sure buy some more of that.

That's cool that you're coming to the states. Have fun!

Old 2007-07-09, 12:28pm
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

thanks! it will be my first visit ever!

I
NY
Old 2007-07-10, 6:23am

You can blow spherical bubbles of boro around 6 - 10cm in diameter on a minor if you need to ... I used to do it every day when I was working for someone else ... it's all in the way you use it. You may have heard of the saying "technique is cheap!" ? .... it's total bullshit (excuse my french), technique is everything! because it ultimately frees you up to do anything you want to do!

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2007-07-10, 7:09am
ManBearPig

I have made many, many pipes on a minor as well...

Old 2007-07-10, 10:44am
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

what does that saying mean?

I
NY