No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-04-01, 2:53pm
Lover of Life

Default Dark red transparent 104?

Can anyone direct me to a nice, rich dark transparent red in 104 COE? Does such a thing exist?

Thanks!
Becky
Old 2008-04-01, 3:51pm
geekitude on two wheels

CIM's Bordello?

http://www.creationismessy.com/Produ.../Bordello.aspx
Old 2008-04-01, 4:30pm
Glassy Lady

Lauscha?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2008-04-01, 4:35pm
Looking for my waistline

Those would definitely be my two choices.
Old 2008-04-01, 4:46pm

Default TAG Black Cherry

How dark do you want your red? We make a transparent red that can go VERY VERY dark, if you let it. It's a kiln-striking red... you work it as long and hard as you like, bring the whole thing back to transparent, then anneal it -- and the red comes during the kiln cycle. Light or dark is mostly up to you.
Each batch varies, so we recommend running a test cycle when you get some: make a bead, about the size you will want to make regularly. Put it into your hot (empty) kiln and check on it every 20 minutes or so, until you start to see it change. Then keep a closer eye on it -- when it's the "right" color, you ramp down or shut off your kiln. Recheck the cooled bead to verify that it didn't continue to strike in the ramp-down (adjust your time if it did.) This method allows the soft-glass beadmaker to have the same kind of color control that boro lampworkers have had for years.
Here are images of the TAG Black Cherry. The first is from a lighter batch.

the second from a batch that likes to go DARK!

We call it BLACK Cherry for a reason! I have made at least one bead that reminds me of antique black glass, which passes a dark, dark red in bright light. Personally, I love that. But as you can see from the lighter sample, it can be a RED red, too.
Paula D at Flamedame carries our kiln-strike red; so does ABR, Winship, Artistry in Glass in Ontario, etc. And it's on our site, too: www.taglass.com.
Old 2008-04-01, 5:04pm
Lover of Life

Thank you. I ordered some Bordello. Looks very nice.
Old 2008-04-01, 5:11pm
Glassy Lady

oooh! I'm going to have to look at tagglass! thanks!

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2008-04-01, 5:13pm
Lover of Life

Oh, that black cherry is gorgeous! I just placed an order for Bordello from Artistry in Glass. I quickly ran back to add some of the black cherry. Thanks everyone for the input. I don't know why I had trouble finding it, but deep trans red is my absolute fave!

Becky
Old 2008-04-01, 6:14pm
Ad astra per aspera

Bordello rocks my world. If it's too dense, try making a base bead in clear and using Bordello to encase. You can get some great tonal variations that way. If you like garnet, try a "sandwich" of clear, pale yellow effetre (00, and bordello. It adds just enough of a brown cast to work. OR instead of pale yellow try a layer of ink blue to make it look like pigeon blood ruby.

Old 2008-04-01, 7:25pm

now, if you just want a easy to strike *red* red, translucentey, 104 red.... try CIM Sangre

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2008-04-01, 9:43pm

I've used the TAG cherries and they melt like butter!!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-02, 6:29pm
fire is goooooood

Lauscha Cranberry is Hands-Down my fav dark red. I love RCA but it can get so dark. Lauscha has the best trans reds I think. Reg Lauscha red is nice too but you want to watch it if encasing .. it can go orangey.

Payton Jett
Old 2008-04-02, 7:32pm

I love cim sangre. i love the cim line its easy to use doesnt spit at you!

i burnt the heck out of bordello always looked like dried blood for me. i gave it to my sister who loves it!
Old 2008-04-03, 1:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
pigeon blood ruby.
?!?! That's quite a descriptor! lol
Old 2008-04-03, 1:13pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Will Tag be ok if i have a base of vetro clear?

Old 2008-04-03, 1:27pm

I use the TAG glass with Vetro frequently. No problems yet. ~Jenny
Old 2008-04-03, 8:49pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
?!?! That's quite a descriptor! lol
Hehe, it's an oldish phrase for Burmese rubies. No idea why, but it usually means rubies with a slightly purplish cast, instead of that rich, deep red.

http://www.khulsey.com/jewelry/gemst...uby_mogok.html

P.S. For Bordello that's going brownish, bump up your oxygen and work further out from the flame. It doesn't like to be "hurried" with extra heat.