The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-07, 10:44am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default * Question on Effetre Rods with Poor Color *

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to ask if effetre or any other rods that come with a streak of a lighter or darker color in them are considered seconds? Do you keep them or ask to have them replaced?

I just got an order of different effetre colors, with Sky Blue and Grass Green that is mixed in color, and it does transfer to the bead and show up as different colors. Can I ask what you would do? Is this normal?

Old 2011-04-07, 10:50am
sunscreen me baby

Those colors are typically streaky. A lot of the effetre colors are that way which is why many of us like them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-07, 10:53am
sunscreen me baby

Wait, I'm seeing you have been doing this for a while so I'm wondering if maybe I didn't understand your post. Or are you new to Effetre glass?

~

Old 2011-04-07, 11:00am
Hot Glass Neophyte

It's the first time I've gotten a batch of effetre with dramatically different color streaks in the rods. I've been doing lampwork about 2 years now, so maybe I've been lucky in what I've received!
Old 2011-04-07, 11:06am
sunscreen me baby

Well I haven't been doing this for decades but I find with the Italian glass companies each batch can be different.

~

Old 2011-04-07, 11:12am
sunscreen me baby

If you hate them I would be willing to trade you some Devardi I got that I hate, lol. That India marbled is so not my kind of color.

~

Old 2011-04-07, 12:01pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

LOL thank you! I have to use the effetre colors though, they are what I made the Space Astronaut Critters out of... so I guess I need to premix them and pull thick stringers!

Old 2011-04-07, 12:03pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
If you hate them I would be willing to trade you some Devardi I got that I hate, lol. That India marbled is so not my kind of color.
I forgot to add that you could list it in the Garage... you may well get someone who wants it.
Old 2011-04-07, 12:22pm
sunscreen me baby

Oh I'm well versed in Garage speak, lol. Are all the rods too streaky? If I lived close you could pop over and trade them out for less streaky versions.

~

Old 2011-04-07, 12:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
LOL thank you! I have to use the effetre colors though, they are what I made the Space Astronaut Critters out of... so I guess I need to premix them and pull thick stringers!

OMG. I soooo love all of these!!!!

Old 2011-04-07, 1:04pm
Disconnected

Kristina, do you have a reference number for that glass? You're talking about 2 very different colors in 1 same rod, right?

Old 2011-04-07, 1:47pm
I fart diamonds

I was going to say something like "No, they're called Odd Lots and the price is doubled" but that would be crass...

Old 2011-04-07, 1:57pm
Looking for my waistline

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
I was going to say something like "No, they're called Odd Lots and the price is doubled" but that would be crass...
Only doubled? I'd like to find some odd lots that are only twice the price of regular colors. Who's your vendor? LOL!!

As far as the streaks, it probably has more to do with the way the rods cool. Try using one in a bead to make sure it's actual color streaks and not a streak caused by differential cooling. The heating and annealing process most often evens out the color.
Old 2011-04-07, 4:37pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Reenie, thank you for loving my little Critter Astronauts! They are fun to make.

Here's an example... the Lt. Blue rods have the Med. blue pin-line of color down them, and it ends up on the Critter.

I don't have a lot of each color, I just wanted to know if this is common and to be accepted - when you get this kind of rod or batch of rods do you keep them and say that's just the way they come sometimes or do you expect uniform rods?

Old 2011-04-07, 4:40pm
sunscreen me baby

Ah, I see what you are talking about. I think that is to be expected of effetre rods. I wouldn't return them. If you want soft glass that has consistency try Bullseye. There regular production colors are what I would call predictable.

~

Old 2011-04-07, 4:42pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
Kristina, do you have a reference number for that glass? You're talking about 2 very different colors in 1 same rod, right?
The two worst are the 216 Grass Green and the 224 Light Sky Blue. I bought all the colors to make the Astronauts, and these are the ones I am having the problem with.
Old 2011-04-07, 4:43pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Ah, I see what you are talking about. I think that is to be expected of effetre rods. I wouldn't return them. If you want soft glass that has consistency try Bullseye. There regular production colors are what I would call predictable.
That's neat to know. So Bullseye is what I need for uniform color in rods. Thanks so much.
Old 2011-04-07, 4:47pm
I fart diamonds

Or Uroboros.

Old 2011-04-07, 4:52pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thanks Shawnette!
Old 2011-04-07, 5:27pm
Oinky Oink!

Irene,
So good to see the astronauts again!
How is your green working out??

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-04-07, 5:42pm
Disconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
That's neat to know. So Bullseye is what I need for uniform color in rods. Thanks so much.
Yes but Bullseye is not 104, do you really want to start another collection of colors?

Old 2011-04-08, 3:36am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Christy! Working the Grass Green cool and using the cleaner is working!

Flonche, I didn't think about Bullseye not being 104. I use some 96, but most is 104 so I don't want to make that major switch! Thanks for posting that heads up!