Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-08-23, 6:09pm
Fire Bug Mommy

Default Boro Whites???

Hey kids! I'm a fool when it comes to keeping solids from boiling. I'm making cala lilies and I need an easy boro white to work with. Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lauren
Old 2006-08-23, 7:52pm
product of the universe

I like the new sno white, star white tends to boil. The little white borostix are pretty good as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2006-08-23, 8:29pm

My only issue with my current batch of sno white is that it is full of little bubbles that work their way to the top sometime and ruin whatever I am making.

Has anybody tried the "white widow" yet?

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-08-23, 8:55pm
Fire Bug Mommy

I forgot to say that I "think" the white that I have is called White Sand??? A friend gave it to me so I'm not positive.

Lauren
Old 2006-08-24, 1:57am
boro color bender

It varies from batch to batch. I've had Star white and Egyptian white sands that wouldn't boil... I like the old gunmounts for when I really need a butter guarantee. It's so hard to get a good white. I've tried the Sno White and the stick I had boiled like crazy and was stiff as a board. I'm interested in trying White Widow. My best advise would be to buy some small batches of Star White and Egyptian white sands from a few different places. You're bound to hit on creamy if you go about it that way. It also helps to remix it and repull some batches.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-08-24, 5:50am
ManBearPig

It also varies within the batch. I got a batch of Sno White and the first rod was great. The second rod was horrible.

Precision White Widow is the best I've found. Parramore white is very nice as well. Rumor is he's just melting down white boro bars and pulling them out into canes. But, it works, whatever it is.

Old 2006-08-24, 7:29am
Fire Bug Mommy

Chad, where do I get this Parramore White? : ) Thanks for all of the advice guys! I'm going to take Brent's advice and try a few differnt ones to see what works out best. These Cala Lilies are for the bridal party and bride's jewelry for my sister's wedding. They have to be perfect or I'll have to suffer the wrath of Bridezilla! Lol!

Lauren
Old 2006-08-24, 7:45am
ManBearPig

Honestly, I don't know. Someone gave me the ones I have. The borobars work just as well, they are just shorter. Most all places have them. We carry them as well.

Old 2006-08-24, 10:40am
Type ZZZ personality

I don't know what I'm talking about, but could you thinly case the white with clear?

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-08-24, 6:37pm

Lauren,
The Parramore white Chad was referring to is what I recommend also. I get mine from Glasscraft, here's a link (Parramore glass is called New Color Company): http://glasscraftinc.com/product/product_list.cfm
It doesn't bubble, melts like buttah!
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-08-24, 7:56pm
I'm too sexy for my shirt

I have the New Color White from Glass Craft. It is great, does not boil. I have tried the peach and the yellow too. They don't boil either. Don't over work the peach or it fades out, but still beautiful.

Jerri
Old 2006-08-28, 7:18am

This is great info. Thanks, you guys.